ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #6031
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Been playing with my Montana 600. Loaded the Garmin 2008 100K topo's onto it's built storage and then put NT North America 2013.20 onto a uSD card. Everything works great.

However, I thought with all the customization available on this unit that I could have the 100K Topo's active (and the NT 2013.20 disabled) when in 'Recreation' mode and the reverse when in 'Automotive' mode but it appears that the maps that are 'active' or 'disabled' are not tied to any one mode. Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-steve
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #6032
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
Been playing with my Montana 600. Loaded the Garmin 2008 100K topo's onto it's built storage and then put NT North America 2013.20 onto a uSD card. Everything works great.

However, I thought with all the customization available on this unit that I could have the 100K Topo's active (and the NT 2013.20 disabled) when in 'Recreation' mode and the reverse when in 'Automotive' mode but it appears that the maps that are 'active' or 'disabled' are not tied to any one mode. Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-steve
What is the current firmware level of your Montana?

Older firmware had issues with maps being auto-enabled.

Yes, each map can be set to enabled or disabled in each profile, independently.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #6033
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
What is the current firmware level of your Montana?

Older firmware had issues with maps being auto-enabled.

Yes, each map can be set to enabled or disabled in each profile, independently.
I am currently running 4.60 (it shipped with 3.80).

What I want to end up with is the Topo maps automatically enabled when in Recreation mode (and NT 2013.20 automatically disabled).

When in Automotive mode I want the Topo maps to be automatically disabled and the NT maps automatically enabled.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #6034
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I am currently running 4.60 (it shipped with 3.80).

What I want to end up with is the Topo maps automatically enabled when in Recreation mode (and NT 2013.20 automatically disabled).

When in Automotive mode I want the Topo maps to be automatically disabled and the NT maps automatically enabled.
This is exactly how I use my Montana.

I have only Topo and Trails enabled in my Geocaching profile, and City Navigator and Trails enabled in my Automotive profile.

You should be able to make those selections in one profile, change profiles, set the maps as you want them for that profile, and then be able to switch between the profiles and see only the selected maps in the map application.

Which maps (name and version) are you using, and where are they loaded?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #6035
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This is exactly how I use my Montana.

I have only Topo and Trails enabled in my Geocaching profile, and City Navigator and Trails enabled in my Automotive profile.

You should be able to make those selections in one profile, change profiles, set the maps as you want them for that profile, and then be able to switch between the profiles and see only the selected maps in the map application.

Which maps (name and version) are you using, and where are they loaded?
From my OP....
Loaded the Garmin 2008 100K topo's onto it's built storage and then put NT North America 2013.20 onto a uSD card.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #6036
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
From my OP....
Loaded the Garmin 2008 100K topo's onto it's built storage and then put NT North America 2013.20 onto a uSD card.
Oops!

I assume then they are both DVD version?

And you are using MapInstall via BaseCamp to send those maps to your Montana?

When you enable one map for one profile, and the other for another profile, what results are you seeing in each profile? If you check again in each profile for the status of the maps you have set to enabled or disabled, do they still show as you set them, or are they changing from enabled to disabled and vice versa?

Is the SAME map always showing in both profiles, regardless of how you set them?

Have you tried any other profiles to see how they behave?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #6037
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oops!

I assume then they are both DVD version?

And you are using MapInstall via BaseCamp to send those maps to your Montana?

When you enable one map for one profile, and the other for another profile, what results are you seeing in each profile? If you check again in each profile for the status of the maps you have set to enabled or disabled, do they still show as you set them, or are they changing from enabled to disabled and vice versa?

Is the SAME map always showing in both profiles, regardless of how you set them?

Have you tried any other profiles to see how they behave?
Installed via Basecamp.

I select Recreation profile, then go into maps and set the Topo maps to enabled and disable NT 2013.20

I then go into Automotive profile, then intp maps and set Topo to disabled, and NT 2013.20 to enabled.

I then switch back to Recreation profile and the maps show up as they were for Automotive profile (i.e. the way the maps show are how they were last set - regardless of what profile I have selected).
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #6038
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Installed via Basecamp.

I select Recreation profile, then go into maps and set the Topo maps to enabled and disable NT 2013.20

I then go into Automotive profile, then intp maps and set Topo to disabled, and NT 2013.20 to enabled.

I then switch back to Recreation profile and the maps show up as they were for Automotive profile (i.e. the way the maps show are how they were last set - regardless of what profile I have selected).
Does zooming in or out on the map one click change anything, even after waiting a few seconds?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #6039
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Does zooming in or out on the map one click change anything, even after waiting a few seconds?
Nothing changes.

Is there a 'master reset' on the Montana (I could not find a reference to one on the big Garmin Montana wiki)?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #6040
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Nothing changes.

Is there a 'master reset' on the Montana (I could not find a reference to one on the big Garmin Montana wiki)?
Two more questions:

1. Do you have any other maps installed on the GPSr or uSD card? (I used to have an issue with some maps preventing others from enabling/disabling properly)

2. To further clarify, you are seeing the CN NA map in both profiles, regardless of settings?

I would not Master Reset just yet....

Master Reset information is available from multiple locations within the Montana wiki:

Tenth question in the FAQ and Function \ Diagnostic are a couple of examples.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #6041
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Mine's still in the box. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Recd the rugged mounts and Ram Amp Ball. Ready to get started.
I still need to read much more. Not sure what software, maps, cards, etc, I need to get started.
You'll love it Jeff! Best mc unit out there, especially if you're coming from an Oregon like I did.

I sent you a PM.
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #6042
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Too Many Options.... I am confused

Bought the Montana 650
Bought 2 uSD cards
Bought the Topo and CN2013 on DVD with lifetime updates.

Havent installed anything just yet.

I thought I had it figured out:
1) Put the uSD Card in the Montana
2) Connect Montana to laptop
3) Create Garmin directory in uSD Card
4) Insert DVD to laptop.
5) Install the maps to the uSD card.
6) Repeat for second uSD card.

Now i read this:
"I assume you are loading the maps to the Montana from Basecamp."

WTF!?!?!

Is there one best way to load the maps and have them available on multiple uSD cards? Or will any of these methods work?
I thought it was necessary to have a GPS device connected to the computer when you install the maps as they are locked to a single GPS device.

Am I just completely dense, or is anyone else out there also confused?
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #6043
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Now i read this:

WTF!?!?!

Is there one best way to load the maps and have them available on multiple uSD cards? Or will any of these methods work?
I thought it was necessary to have a GPS device connected to the computer when you install the maps as they are locked to a single GPS device.

BaseCamp does not load maps but it has a connection to MapInstall so MI can be called from BC. Saying BC installed the maps is kinda erroneous.

You could just load MapInstall by itself to load your maps. You can find out how to use MapInstall, and get the latest version by checking here.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #6044
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Bought the Montana 650
Bought 2 uSD cards
Bought the Topo and CN2013 on DVD with lifetime updates.

Havent installed anything just yet.

I thought I had it figured out:
1) Put the uSD Card in the Montana
2) Connect Montana to laptop
3) Create Garmin directory in uSD Card
4) Insert DVD to laptop.
5) Install the maps to the uSD card.
6) Repeat for second uSD card.

Now i read this:

WTF!?!?!

Everything you ever wanted to know about loading maps to your Garmin GPSr, but were afraid to ask, can be found here.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #6045
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 342
Security screw fix

After being unable to twist the screw out, i resorted to doing it properly.
Start off by unscrewing 6 tiny screw and taking off the back panel.
Then take out the button sliding part (hold the tiny spring!!!) and the top (hold the tiny spring!!!):

Now with access to the inside, we see the culprit. Pry it off.

Luckily, Garmin is sane (unlike RAM with their 11mm nut for a large-pitch threaded U bar...) and uses a standart pitch M3 thread. So to a bolt shop I go.
You know the standart screw has threads only at the very end and the thinner stalk moves freely in the hole in the top plastic part. I needed to duplicate that, except that I chose to leave a few more threads at the end.
And if you don't have a lathe:

The standart bolt stops not when the threads go all the way into the well, but when the bolthead touches against the plastic - so it's ok the leave more thread at the end as long as there's something on our new bolt to push against the plastic top part (to mimic the standart bolthead).
In my case, a long "handle":

Put the new bolt in with,remembering it's cone shaped spring, then slip on the retaining clip from the inside (you can leave it out if you think there will be a need to remove the lock screw without taking the mount apart again).
Then put the 2 plastic parts together. Do I need to mention the tiny springs?

They fly far once being bounced off your head and can only be found by lucky chance inside some camera cases.
And don't think breaking a lighter will save you!

Result:

Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote