ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Viperject OP
finally dirty
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: JOH-JAH!
Oddometer: 47
Naked Touring: finished conversion.

Full write-up HERE.

From this:



To this:



And finally, to this:





Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
DFH
270 deg crank
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 342
Nice, but why not buy the naked version in the first place?
__________________
270 deg crank
DFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Viperject OP
finally dirty
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: JOH-JAH!
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Nice, but why not buy the naked version in the first place?
There has never been a naked FZ available in the US. The naked versions available elsewhere never came with a conventional round headlight, either.

There were actually other bikes I would have preferred at the time of purchase, but I got a good deal on the Yamaha. It's certainly not the best bike I've owned, but it's alright.
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 576
Very nice. I like the original fairing but the naked versions always look meaner. Those E21 Givis look like they were made for your bike.
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer
 
Superzoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 535
Nice! Paint the headlight brackets black and THEN you're done.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,079
Is it still naked with a windscreen on it? Why not just leave the stock fairing and headlight on it?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer
 
Contevita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gulfport, MS
Oddometer: 2,753
Those saddle bags look great on the bike.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,910
Put me in the 'I don't get it' camp.

Everyone's version of touring is a little different, but a couple of little messenger bag sized cases doesn't quite do it for me.

Then again, I turned my FZ6 into a land barge.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Viperject OP
finally dirty
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: JOH-JAH!
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Why not just leave the stock fairing and headlight on it?
I like the classic look of a single round headlight. Also, the stock FZ fairing and windscreen produce the worst turbulence I've ever experienced on a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Everyone's version of touring is a little different, but a couple of little messenger bag sized cases doesn't quite do it for me.

Consider this the bike's "everyday" arrangement. I also have a large tank bag and a Givi top-case that I will install next. I passed on the expensive ($150+) Givi top-case rack and bought an adapter kit ($45) for the side racks instead. I'm going to buy a second seat and bolt a universal Givi mounting plate to the pillion section, then mount the case to it. I don't tour with a passenger and I'd rather have the cargo more centrally located, rather than hanging way out behind the rear wheel.


I will add pics to this thread the day I finally take another real trip. It's been years.


Regarding the little E21's: I travel light, even cross-country. And I just don't like side-loading cases.

This old beast and its messenger bags took me everywhere...

Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,910
It has been said many times, saying that I pack like a girl is an insult to women everywhere.

Good on ya for keeping it light.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Viperject OP
finally dirty
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: JOH-JAH!
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Good on ya for keeping it light.
Once upon a time, before I knew any better, all I needed was a set of soft panniers and some bungee cords...

Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
FishHunt
slow poking...
 
FishHunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Asheboro, N.C.
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperject View Post
Once upon a time, before I knew any better, all I needed was a set of soft panniers and some bungee cords...

Nice looking ZR-7. It looks like the naked touring FZ-1 is taking the place of ZR 1000 Kawi bike.

I have a naked/standard/sport tourer myself. It is a 2000 ZR-7 with factory GIVI/Kawasaki racks and side cases with cheap Emgo top case.

<>< Fish

__________________
V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
____________________________________
FishHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
bogey78
Studly Adventurer
 
bogey78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 576
Quote:
I like the classic look of a single round headlight. Also, the stock FZ fairing and windscreen produce the worst turbulence I've ever experienced on a motorcycle.
My next bike purchase will most likely be an FZ6. I like the looks of the stock fairing and plan on keeping it stock and maybe trying a few different screens. Can I ask how tall you are? I'm short and generally have no problems on stock bikes with wind turbulence. Even my old weestrom that seems to annoy everyone was not a problem for me in stock form. So, how tall are you and did you try any aftermarket screens.
__________________
Bogey78
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Viperject OP
finally dirty
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: JOH-JAH!
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
I have a naked/standard/sport tourer myself. It is a 2000 ZR-7 with factory GIVI/Kawasaki racks and side cases with cheap Emgo top case.
I liked my ZR7, but the Nightawk was better. The Kawasaki had marginally better handling and braking, but the Honda was smoother, felt just as fast, was more comfortable, got better fuel mileage, and required far less maintenance. If they still sold an air-cooled CB750 in the states, I would buy another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
My next bike purchase will most likely be an FZ6. I like the looks of the stock fairing and plan on keeping it stock and maybe trying a few different screens. Can I ask how tall you are? I'm short and generally have no problems on stock bikes with wind turbulence. Even my old weestrom that seems to annoy everyone was not a problem for me in stock form. So, how tall are you and did you try any aftermarket screens.
I'm about 5-foot-8 with a 32-inch inseam. I never tried any aftermarket screens because I planned this naked conversion from the beginning. The stock screen shot a jet of air directly into my faceshield; the windblast was unbearable without earplugs and irritating with.

The FZ6 is an "okay" bike, but I would get something else if I had to do it over again. Here's my old review right after I bought it this spring:

http://twowheelfix.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=11
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperject View Post
I'm about 5-foot-8 with a 32-inch inseam. I never tried any aftermarket screens because I planned this naked conversion from the beginning. The stock screen shot a jet of air directly into my faceshield; the windblast was unbearable without earplugs and irritating with.
Definitely depends on the person. I'm 5'11" with the same inseam, so the extra torso puts my helmet higher and longer arms put me farther back. I only get buffeting if I tuck in out of the rain.

Lots of folks on the FZ6-Forum have simply cut down the stock screen an inch or two if it didn't work for them. Keep in mind, the 04-06 have a different, more integrated screen and there are fewer aftermarket options than for the 07-09.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014