ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #26221
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Your head remains firmly buried in the sand on this point, Gummee. Your comparison to loud pipes couldn't be further off the mark. Loud pipes do nothing but harm your hearing. Strava allows riders of all levels to track their performance and assess their abilities. It allows you to monitor your heart rate, the energy you've expended in watts, and the total calories burned. It also shows you the areas where your performance is strong and where it's weak. By comparing my times on certain segments to those of other riders, I can see that I'm very strong when it comes to outright speed of flat grades. I'm in the middle of the pack on climbs and on technical trails, so these are the areas I need to devote more time to. I wouldn't be aware of any of this if it weren't for Strava. As for the allure of setting personal records, what exactly is wrong with that? Setting goals is what drives people to improve their abilities and achieve things they never would have thought possible at the outset. Why you continue to insist that only certain goals (i.e. race results) are legitimate is beyond me. The very fact that you need to make non-sensical comparisons to loud pipes shows that your opposition to Strava is devoid of any rational justification.


You sure do need to do a lot of justification eh...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #26222
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Your head remains firmly buried in the sand on this point, Gummee. Your comparison to loud pipes couldn't be further off the mark. Loud pipes do nothing but harm your hearing. Strava allows riders of all levels to track their performance and assess their abilities. It allows you to monitor your heart rate, the energy you've expended in watts, and the total calories burned. It also shows you the areas where your performance is strong and where it's weak. By comparing my times on certain segments to those of other riders, I can see that I'm very strong when it comes to outright speed of flat grades. I'm in the middle of the pack on climbs and on technical trails, so these are the areas I need to devote more time to. I wouldn't be aware of any of this if it weren't for Strava. As for the allure of setting personal records, what exactly is wrong with that? Setting goals is what drives people to improve their abilities and achieve things they never would have thought possible at the outset. Why you continue to insist that only certain goals (i.e. race results) are legitimate is beyond me. The very fact that you need to make non-sensical comparisons to loud pipes shows that your opposition to Strava is devoid of any rational justification.
You keep dancing around the point. If you wanna race, race. The rest is hogwash.

The reason people use strava instead of Training Peaks, the Garmin software, or even MapmyRide is they WANT people to see their results. ...just like loud pipe riders want people to look at them and think 'they're kewl.'

All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'

Comparing yourself to others is great IF it means something. IF its a means to an end. If you're 'racing' for yet another KOM what do you get other than 'I feel good about myself.' ?? Congratulations you're the fastest Fred.

You wanna track mileage, speed, HR, power, etc? Great. Its a good thing to do! There's sites (above) that let you compare you to you over time that aren't pseudo 'races.' After all, if you're not racing, what's it matter that you're the KOM? If there's no number on your back, its pretty well irrelevant how fast you are comparatively.

If you're 'racing' for KOMs, why not put on a number and make it a real race? Go find out where you stand IRL rather than 'racing' someone electronically. The biggest thing that bugs me is the passive aggressiveness of 'racing' without really racing that strava is perpetuating.

If you care that much about 'being fastest' but don't wanna race IRL...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #26223
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Sub 18lb, rigid Niner MTB with Di2.

__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #26224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
ooh pretty!

You see the one where Fairwheel bikes hacked DI2 and made it sequential?


M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #26225
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,428
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #26226
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Almost makes me want to ride dirt again. ;)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #26227
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You keep dancing around the point. If you wanna race, race. The rest is hogwash.

The reason people use strava instead of Training Peaks, the Garmin software, or even MapmyRide is they WANT people to see their results. ...just like loud pipe riders want people to look at them and think 'they're kewl.'

All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'

Comparing yourself to others is great IF it means something. IF its a means to an end. If you're 'racing' for yet another KOM what do you get other than 'I feel good about myself.' ?? Congratulations you're the fastest Fred.

You wanna track mileage, speed, HR, power, etc? Great. Its a good thing to do! There's sites (above) that let you compare you to you over time that aren't pseudo 'races.' After all, if you're not racing, what's it matter that you're the KOM? If there's no number on your back, its pretty well irrelevant how fast you are comparatively.

If you're 'racing' for KOMs, why not put on a number and make it a real race? Go find out where you stand IRL rather than 'racing' someone electronically. The biggest thing that bugs me is the passive aggressiveness of 'racing' without really racing that strava is perpetuating.

If you care that much about 'being fastest' but don't wanna race IRL...

M
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #26228
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,685
Watched 24 Solo last night. LOVED it

Those guys are fooking NUTS.

Funny thing is, as I listened to the guy (Chris Eatough) I thought I detected a smidgin' of an English accent sprinkled in amongst all the southern drawl and sure enough, he was born in England but is now and American citizen....

Anyhoo, fantastic video and I won't spoil the ending but boy, some people just have this ability to push their bodies to the limit and beyond.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #26229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Watched 24 Solo last night. LOVED it

Those guys are fooking NUTS.

Funny thing is, as I listened to the guy (Chris Eatough) I thought I detected a smidgin' of an English accent sprinkled in amongst all the southern drawl and sure enough, he was born in England but is now and American citizen....

Anyhoo, fantastic video and I won't spoil the ending but boy, some people just have this ability to push their bodies to the limit and beyond.
I've done 1 24hr race. The solo folks are effin nutz. No thanks!

Even more nutz than the single-speeders! ...and that's sayin somethnig

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #26230
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've done 1 24hr race. The solo folks are effin nutz. No thanks!

Even more nutz than the single-speeders! ...and that's sayin somethnig

M
Totally agree. Cracking the ribs during a night lap left a bitter taste for the rest of the race. The second trip to Moab, I wised up and rented a KTM 450exc, which was much more relaxing and allowed me to cover alot more ground.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #26231
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You see the one where Fairwheel bikes hacked DI2 and made it sequential?
No.

Honestly, I have no interest in electric shift, but, realize many people dream of it.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #26232
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've done 1 24hr race. The solo folks are effin nutz. No thanks!

Even more nutz than the single-speeders! ...and that's sayin somethnig

M

Pretty sure there was a single-speeder in the race....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #26233
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You keep dancing around the point. If you wanna race, race. The rest is hogwash.

The reason people use strava instead of Training Peaks, the Garmin software, or even MapmyRide is they WANT people to see their results. ...just like loud pipe riders want people to look at them and think 'they're kewl.'
Who are all these thousands of 'people' whose minds you presume to know? When you make these sorts of pronouncements, does it cross your mind for even an instant that Strava leader boards display listings of hundreds of riders, and that only the ones near the very top would have anything to brag about? Do you really think that the guys in 300th or 400th place posted these results because they wanted everyone to see them? I don't know what these other software packages you mention are. I've never heard of them. Like many people, I began using Strava because other riders recommended it to me. It seems to be the most popular software of its kind. That's why we use it.

Quote:
All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'
The KOMs mean just as much as any other placing on the leader boards: they tell their owners what their performance level is compared to what it was a month or a year ago. There is an entirely understandable amount of pride attached to being at or near the top, but placements on the leader board are in a constant state of flux; the guy who holds the KOM today knows full well that he's only in first place because none of the riders who are faster than he is have bothered to ride that segment.

Quote:
Comparing yourself to others is great IF it means something. IF its a means to an end. If you're 'racing' for yet another KOM what do you get other than 'I feel good about myself.' ?? Congratulations you're the fastest Fred.

You wanna track mileage, speed, HR, power, etc? Great. Its a good thing to do! There's sites (above) that let you compare you to you over time that aren't pseudo 'races.' After all, if you're not racing, what's it matter that you're the KOM? If there's no number on your back, its pretty well irrelevant how fast you are comparatively.

If you're 'racing' for KOMs, why not put on a number and make it a real race? Go find out where you stand IRL rather than 'racing' someone electronically. The biggest thing that bugs me is the passive aggressiveness of 'racing' without really racing that strava is perpetuating.
I find it very peculiar that all of your arguments proceed from the same unquestioned assumption that only race results 'mean anything'. Why should anyone believe that? Why do you think that racing from point A to point B is somehow more 'meaningful' when multiple riders do it simultaneously rather than when a single rider does it? What makes the former any less arbitrary than the latter? You do realize that a bicycle race is just an artificial game that someone made up, don't you? It's no more 'meaningful' than any other contrived game like basketball or soccer. The only reason you invest it with greater importance than other games is because it's something YOU happen to love doing. Blinded by your emotional investment in it, you've come to imagine that everyone who doesn't race, secretly aspires to. Put this fantasy aside for just a moment and consider that to an objective observer, bicycle racing is just as trivial as pole vaulting, bowling, or seeing who can eat the most hot dogs in an hour. None of these 'mean' anything, except to the people who think it does.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #26234
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,628
I guess peoples perception of Strava differ.... Imagine that.

Can you knock if off now?
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #26235
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I guess peoples perception of Strava differ.... Imagine that.

Can you knock if off now?
Yes dad.

Just got off the bike. 2:48 out and about SW of here. Headwinds suck. Tailwinds rawk!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014