Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #241
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Agreed on both. I rode one on a demo day with a full akrapovic exhaust, and while the noise was cool at idle, it didn't do anything for me at speed. Ergo's were wrong with my legs cramped, and I have short legs. Tank scoops and little fly screen felt cheap as hell and vibrated at all speeds.

Crossed it off my interest list after the ride. Shame because I really wanted to like it.
I told the BMW dealer to call me as soon as they got an F800R in that I could look at. They did, and I was there that afternoon. Took one sit on the bike and I knew it was all wrong for me. Didn't even have to start it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #242
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I told the BMW dealer to call me as soon as they got an F800R in that I could look at. They did, and I was there that afternoon. Took one sit on the bike and I knew it was all wrong for me. Didn't even have to start it.
Sigh, I wish I could have spared myself all the grief I had with my F800ST, with this amount of ease!

Strangely, it was the F800R that I sat on at the Bike show we had, that I went: "ooh! This feels good!" Possibly it was just after I had dislocated my wrists and strained the muscles in my neck after sitting on a Ducati, but it felt pretty darned good.

Didn't care for the looks though. Then sitting on the ST, the wheels began to slowly turn, and I thought if I could sorta duplicate the ergos on the R via riser/backs and lowered pegs put on the ST, it would be perfect.

Alas, the owning reality of horrible vibes, failures, poor quality, insane parts costs, and awful dealers I had to contend with, made for a total nightmare scenario.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #243
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Looks like the results are in!! There is no bike that appeals to everyone! Every bike will leave a unique impression on every rider

wrong! not one person has complained about the 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G. Not one.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #244
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Agreed. Someone said they didn't like the Tiger 800XC because it had bad air flow, was too tall, and too squirly. Those all sound like selling points to me. Raw experience, good ground clearance, and manueverable...

All the discussion about feet forward seating position on cruisers got me thinking, though. What do you do to lift your butt off the seat to regain blood flow when cruising on the highway for extended periods? I was beginning to be tempted by the HD V-Rod, until I thought about that...Maybe brace your feet on the pegs and pull on the handlebars until your butt lifts off the seat? I'd hate to think what would happen if one hand slipped while trying to do that.
floorboards and a rider backrest help alot. just push with your legs. You can get your butt an inch off the seat and keep it there for a while. It helps alot. It helps when going over RR tracks too. It's hard to beat a cruiser for comfort if it's got floorboards, a backrest, a windshield, and some wind protection for the legs.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #245
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Never again BMW. I wouldn't accept a BMW if I was given a brand new one for free, and delivered right to my door.

I lost my shirt trading the hateful thing in for a Honda NC700X, but the relief and happines I felt riding away on the Honda was worth everything to me.

oh, I can understand that feeling completely. I traded my BMW for a DL1000, which is probably a big part of why I liked the Strom so much.

for a while.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #246
e.t.
Certified User

Oddometer: 260
Every bike I owned was good for something - you guys are kinda depressing me. You are mentioning bikes I owned and loved and possibly want...

I have never purchased a bike that was an outright fail out of the gate. I guess I am lucky
e.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #247
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.t. View Post
Every bike I owned was good for something -

I have never purchased a bike that was an outright fail out of the gate. I guess I am lucky
That is true. My California was fine for commuting. Just didn't like it for distance work.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #248
Saber
slow

Oddometer: 100
My ignorance was in buying a BMW R1200c Montauk. I gave it every chance and it is junk as far as I am concerned. There were parts falling of on long rides, to the Factory representative refusing to honor the warranty, because I use the bike out side. It is just an anemic pot metal rattletrap, that my wife out ran in a 1992 dodge van pulling a trailer.
I now have a Yamaha cruiser, which far outperforms that piece of crap, and its ww2 engineering.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #249
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
1985 VF1000R. I always loved the looks of them when I was a kid riding my VF500. A few years ago I flew to Atlanta to buy one. The ride home to NY damn near killed my back. The bike was way too long for me. I sold it shortly after I got home. Too bad, they are beautiful.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #250
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
1985 VF1000R. I always loved the looks of them when I was a kid riding my VF500. A few years ago I flew to Atlanta to buy one. The ride home to NY damn near killed my back. The bike was way too long for me. I sold it shortly after I got home. Too bad, they are beautiful.
I remember the reviews of those bikes back in the day. Every one said the VF1000F was a better bike than the R. I couldn't believe it - the R looked like it just came off the racetrack.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #251
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,880
Ducati Multistrada 1100S. Last year when I was looking for a replacement for my Ducati ST3 that was deerstroyed, I came very close to driving down to SC to buy a really well set up 2007 MS1100 S set up with bags and many goodies. I had ridden the MS1000 when they first came out at a dealer demo day. I remember thinking it was a blast, but I wasn't in the market so of course it was fun. Just before pulling the trigger on th 1100S, I went to a local dealer who had a similar model for sale and took a test ride. I wasn't long into the ride and for whatever reason I can not fully explain I just knew this wasn't what I was looking for.

About a week later I ended up buying a Triumph Bonnie T100 after taking a test ride in which I knew in about 90 seconds that I was going to buy that bike.

Go figure.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #252
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.t. View Post
Every bike I owned was good for something - you guys are kinda depressing me. You are mentioning bikes I owned and loved and possibly want...
For example?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #253
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Didn't like my R1150GS, although I didn't want to admit it. We just never connected
That explains it. I see so many used GS's for sale at so many places, but every owner praises how great the bike is. If they're so great, why are so many people selling them?
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #254
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Didn't like my R1150GS, although I didn't want to admit it. We just never connected
That explains it. I see so many GS's for sale at so many websites and yet PO's always praise how great the bike is. If the bike is so great, why are so many people selling them? Not bashing BMW's. I own one - R1200R. Never owned a GS. Owned 2 RT's but never connected with them. I'm bonding so fast with 12R tho.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #255
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
wrong! not one person has complained about the 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G. Not one.

Or the 1911 Henderson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
That explains it. I see so many used GS's for sale at so many places, but every owner praises how great the bike is. If they're so great, why are so many people selling them?
1) My eleven-fiddy was the best bike I'd ever owned. Haven't put enough miles on the 1200 to push it into first place, but I'm sure it will take the top spot. Too refined, lighter, more powerful.

2) Sold the 1150 to by the 12.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote