Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 741
15cm is 50% of the suspension travel I'm looking for.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Some 690 Dukes made it here to the States...here's one, ready to be purchased second-hand:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3394001510.html
That's a 1st Gen Duke 690. The 2nd Gen is 2012+. Less edgy, better overall package, and 10 lbs. less weight. The new bike isn't being imported, yet.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Are they the same motor? Looks quite different in the pics. It would have to be a mill designed to do a lot more more miles than an EXC-F. At 44hp that could really appeal to some people with the right trailbike chassis wrapped around it, something like a WR250R with more balls.

Cheers
Clint
The Duke 390 is 373 cc, slightly larger and slightly detuned relative to the 350cc 350 EXC-F. Will the Duke mill last longer? I hope so. It is designed for the city streets in India - big and crowded. I don't have complete specs, and the 390 is built locally in India by Bajaj rather than in Austria, so the cases (and hopefully the oil capacity) may be different for what is essentially a street application. Street-bike frame, wheels, seat, subframe, etc. account for the weight increase (255 lbs. vs. 324 lbs. wet). Time will tell regarding design differences and quality on the 390.

The Freeride 350 (at 30 hp) is the Trials/trail bike cross-over version. We just need it in the USA. The only problems are a 1.5 gallon fuel tank and no rear subframe. Everyone here who wants one insists that they will make appropriate mods to make their dream non-race KTM.

Yes, 15 cm (5.9") of suspension travel for the Duke 390 is a street-bike suspension. That's half of what you are looking for? 12" of travel is a 350-EXC Enduro - just go buy one. Since all of the suspensions are WP, parts will be available to make some adjustments. How much remains to be seen, and will depend on how much you will be willing to spend. My intention is a Duke 390 with 7.5" travel, or adding about 1.5" front and rear. Stock fork tubes will be the limiting factor initially.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,708
buy a Husaberg 390 enduro?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

FE390 - great bike, my buddy has one. The 70-degree series has been discontinued. The 570's sold out first, then the 450's. You might still find a 390 if you look really hard. If not, look for lightly used.

2013 Husabergs are now KTM's with slightly lower-spec components.

KTM 350's & 500's are getting great reviews, too. Take your pick.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I'm not sure if it is entirely penile deficiencies. Out west a lot of the roads are long and straight.

Unless you ride strictly in town, many of which are at least an hour from the next one, riding on the street is in a straight line at a constant RPM. Not much fun on a small bike, not much fun on any bike really.

It's a cool rig but there just isn't much of a purpose for it around here. Being a hooligan isn't very attractive when you know you'll likely be the only person around with that model, or that genre of bike for that matter.
Yup,even a 650 thumper can get a little boring on a long straight roads,America has lots of space and people like HP.
390 is priced/sized to be a beginner bike. Nothing wrong with that,Honda/Kawasaki are trying to hit that market as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
The Duke 390 is 373 cc, slightly larger and slightly detuned relative to the 350cc 350 EXC-F. Will the Duke mill last longer? I hope so. It is designed for the city streets in India - big and crowded. I don't have complete specs, and the 390 is built locally in India by Bajaj rather than in Austria, so the cases (and hopefully the oil capacity) may be different for what is essentially a street application. Street-bike frame, wheels, seat, subframe, etc. account for the weight increase (255 lbs. vs. 324 lbs. wet). Time will tell regarding design differences and quality on the 390.

The Freeride 350 (at 30 hp) is the Trials/trail bike cross-over version. We just need it in the USA. The only problems are a 1.5 gallon fuel tank and no rear subframe. Everyone here who wants one insists that they will make appropriate mods to make their dream non-race KTM.

Yes, 15 cm (5.9") of suspension travel for the Duke 390 is a street-bike suspension. That's half of what you are looking for? 12" of travel is a 350-EXC Enduro - just go buy one. Since all of the suspensions are WP, parts will be available to make some adjustments. How much remains to be seen, and will depend on how much you will be willing to spend. My intention is a Duke 390 with 7.5" travel, or adding about 1.5" front and rear. Stock fork tubes will be the limiting factor initially.
Most guys who say "I'll buy it just bring it on" thin out once a bike is brought over to these shores. Popping around on a de-tuned 350 single just wouldnt be that exciting.
The 1st time I rode my 530 on the street I was thinking........man some more steam and this would be really neat!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,382
Quote:
The Enduro Version is already here: 350-EXC-F or 350 XC-F.

255 lbs. wet with full 8.5 liter (2.2 gal) tank [and an Acerbis 20-liter (5.3 gal) as an option.]
- with 48mm forks, 45 hp, 35 n-m, full WP adj, 13.6" ground clearance, 11.8"/13.2" f/r suspension travel

Your choice, $9,700! [Made in Austria]

I think they are referring to a $6500 version of a DS which obviously they can build if the 390 Duke comes in at that number. Hell, $500 cheaper is possible as the 17" wheeled bikes from KTM were always more than the dirt versions.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,309
Nice looking bike for sure!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Most guys who say "I'll buy it just bring it on" thin out once a bike is brought over to these shores. Popping around on a de-tuned 350 single just wouldnt be that exciting.
The 1st time I rode my 530 on the street I was thinking........man some more steam and this would be really neat!
It's cool if you want more power - a sport bike, or a Street Triple R if you want upright ergos, will do it for you. That's not what the 390 Duke is all about, however.

Finally, we are talking about a higher-spec light-weight motorcycle, with power and torque (45 hp, 35 N-m) that is just shy of a Ninja 650R on a weight-to-power basis, in a 324 lb. package (wet). That's 100 lbs. lighter in a full street bike (not SM) package. I'm sorry, but that's not a "detuned" 350 to me. And its a LOT more than a Ninja 300R or Honda CB500, which are the beginner or re-entry level bikes in the US market.

No, it won't run with a KTM-530 SM, but then you're back into 600cc Supersport weight-to-power specs again. If that's what you need for adrenelin, go for it.

I guess I should take this back to the "Small/mid displacement street singles" thread and the "Nobody will buy High-spec 250-400cc sportbikes" thread, where the audience is interested in the topic at hand.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
Would never buy one.

400cc street bike has merit in EU but is kind of useless in the US.
Last time I looked, your speed limits were lower then ours.

This is exactly the kind of mentality that's keeping a lot of good bikes out of USA.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Last time I looked, your speed limits were lower then ours.

This is exactly the kind of mentality that's keeping a lot of good bikes out of USA.
It's not the speed limit, it's that rapping out a premium 250-400cc small engine just to keep the speed limit whilst traveling in one of the many straight lines of a road we have blows ass compared to lugging something larger to keep vibes and noise down. Which, by the way, also blows ass compared to rapping out a 300cc dirt bike on tough single track.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

I guess I should take this back to the "Small/mid displacement street singles" thread and the "Nobody will buy High-spec 250-400cc sportbikes" thread, where the audience is interested in the topic at hand.
Yah, although these Dukes are thumpers, this forum is more dirt biased, so Road Warriors would probably be better place audience wise.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
There is a multi page thread in the street forum.

I have found more and more fun on the smaller bikes. My FZ1 would break every legal speed limit in 1st gear that got boring too. Had to be going 120+ to have fun. Wasn't a good idea. Most street riding, that is legal, bores me actually

I'd like to have a peppy, small bike. My 285lb 450SMR was too buzzy and my 320lb 610SM was a little too big. Hoping this will be in the middle. Move some of the weight of the 610 around, an in the middle of the 450/610 engines, and KTM could make a sweet bike.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836589
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote