User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #46
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Wink Old Red XJ650 Turbo Beater update

Bike torn down to frame and engine w swingarm hangin on....Cylinders tested to 150 psi in 1,3, and 4 with 130psi in #2. Could be the WD40 I sprayed into them for difference in pressures or carbon on a valve in #2? Sprayed WD40 into plug holes because I was worried maybe rings were "welded" by rust to cylinder walls after sitting in a backyard for 11-12 years...rear driveshaft looks perfect inside, seals all good and rubber soft still......took carbs apart, gas turned into a green caking, glue-like substance but float bowls clean, throttle throats clean.even the rubber diaphrams were pliable and soft still--- amazing.....just need to clean out passages and replace jets and float valves....turbo blasted w power washer and came out shiny silver .. Broke all 4 plastic/rubber intake manifolds on engine side due to cracked, hardened plastic as set was worked off cyl head..anyone have a set for sale??? Front forks look like they were right diameter and size for a Honda XR50cc kid's bike, NOT a +600lb turbo lead sled...Have a set of FJ1200 forks on the way.....wish I could load my photos here...suggestions on how to? I have them in documents as JPEGs and every click on photo icon this page gives a URL address option ONLY
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #47
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 549
I know this thread is about the Yamaha but I had a CX650T Honda in '83 and it was a loooot of fun. Nothing at the time was quicker from a 60mph roll on (at least that's what I remember).
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #48
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 165
Check with this guy for parts. The best way is get the part number and email him.
http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14561.html
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #49
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,704

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #50
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckysurfer View Post
Have a set of FJ1200 forks on the way.....wish I could load my photos here...suggestions on how to? I have them in documents as JPEGs and every click on photo icon this page gives a URL address option ONLY
You need to host them on a site like smugmug or photobucket. If you don't have an account, you can email them to me and I'll put them up for you. I'd love to see them up here!

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
How to post an image sticky
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #52
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Thumb Old Beater Red XJ650 Turbo

Thanks a zillion for helpful support from the turbo community out there....everyone! I bought this bike on a lark because I LOVED certain aspects of the 1980s-- especially the music and more freestyle experimentation in art, design, lifestyle etc....of course some aspects of the 80s sucked big time!!! Especially the Reaganesque raping of the country by big business and out of control corporate raider a-holios in Washington and Wall Street....but to return to the point....I wanted a really unique bike and one I could restore and ride around when it's finished in L.A..... I envisioned I would ride around here dressed up in some kind of space-age silver leathers like a wacked out 80s escapee cross between Gary Numan, Klaus Nomi, David Bowie, Gary Glitter(sans pedophile impulses) KISS, and other lunatics. from that time.... I remember seeing these bikes back then and a buddy had a KAWASAKI GPZ and then a Yamaha FJ1100. I wanted a turbo but it was a bit expensive...so now I have one!!!.......... I can now see how difficult finding some new parts will be since so much is considered obsolete in our fanatic world of "NEWNESS" above all. Little things like the intake rubber manifolds, seals, bearings, seat covers, lenses, windshields, and plastics etc. are getting hard to locate. But it's good to have like minded afficionados out there in all kinds of interests and thank god we can all commiserate, communicate, pontificate, gesticulate, and masticate via the net! .. I was considering painting the bike in the stock silver paint scheme but I'm VERY open to any artistic suggestions to really emphasize the TURBO aspect of this bike...anyone who has creative juices to come up with a really fascinating paint job I would welcome.. something that YAMAHA--- COULD HAVE DONE ---with more creative artistic sensibilities lurking somewhere in the company...I KNOW there are lots of "undiscovered" geniuses out there that are incredibly talented musically and visually and I welcome any wild or even conservative paint schemes to bring out the TURBO side of the bike....even a space shuttle view of a typhoon from space would look cool on the fairing to indicate "turbo"........I welcome someone just posting an artistic rendition here or email a scheme to me..I'd really like the bike to stand out from all the mundane looking modern "street-racer" sport bikes all around...sure they're faster, more "techno" advanced, and more slick, but they are a dime a dozen around here and have no funky "SOUL" to them...no endearing or even frightening idiosyncracies like turbo-lag.... so come on all you visual geniuses--- CREATE a look Yamaha "SHOULD HAVE" or "COULD HAVE"...I'll paint the bike in your scheme by taking a vote here for the best........
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #53
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Thanks a zillion for helpful support from the turbo community out there...... I was considering painting the bike in the stock silver paint scheme but I'm VERY open to any artistic suggestions to really emphasize the TURBO aspect of this bike...anyone who has creative juices to come up with a really fascinating paint job I would welcome.. something that YAMAHA--- COULD HAVE DONE ---with more creative artistic sensibilities lurking somewhere in the company...I KNOW there are lots of "undiscovered" geniuses out there that are incredibly talented musically and visually and I welcome any wild or even conservative paint schemes to bring out the TURBO side of the bike....even a space shuttle view of a typhoon from space would look cool on the fairing to indicate "turbo"........I welcome someone just posting an artistic rendition here or email a scheme to me..I'd really like the bike to stand out from all the mundane looking modern "street-racer" sport bikes all around...sure they're faster, more "techno" advanced, and more slick, but they are a dime a dozen around here and have no funky "SOUL" to them...no endearing or even frightening idiosyncracies like turbo-lag.... so come on all you visual geniuses--- CREATE a look Yamaha "SHOULD HAVE" or "COULD HAVE"...I'll paint the bike in your scheme by taking a vote here for the best........
This could be fun!!! I'm not a visual genius, so I'll stay out of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #54
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

The original Batcycle was a Yamaha!

More 1970's than '80s but when the turbo's came out everyone called them bat-bikes.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #55
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Here are the pics

I am amazed how much the frame and engine look exactly like my Seca 750. That was the worst handling bike I ever owned and I can't imagine how bad it would be with 50% more power!

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 11:13 AM Reason: Reordered pictures
Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #56
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Wicked Old Red Turbo Beater update

been working on her for a while......tore those 4 carbs down and slowly cleaned each one, every little orifice and glory hole..had to remove from rack to thoroughly clean....it was hard to find interconnecting pipe seals of the right size....bought new intake rubberized manifolds on both ends...got all the jets out and cleaned, one had to be reverse drilled out...laid bike over to access the turbo and exhaust collector and found lots of rusted bolts. Now working on getting the bolts off to tear apart turbo and inspect...found out the old Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt or Mitsubishi Challenger turbo from the 1980s has just about the same turbo in case mine is shot. Cold, wet, rainy here in Soylent Green Land ( aka L.A.), so I'm just slowly getting rebuild done....engine is superb with 160psi each cylinder, frame straight, wheels great, exhaust pipes great, fairing good but needs repair--repainting in new scheme, carbs getting done, etc..
I found that the FJ1100 triple clamps are a virtually perfect fit by changing bottom bearing to a smaller outside diameter one----I wanted much beefier forks and beefier brakes so I went to FJ1100/1200 and discovered it really is no problem to swap them in EXCEPT--- I forgot that the damn FJ forks had CLIP ON style bars---which I hate....so I might weld on mx handlebar riser bottom clamps onto the top of the FJ triple clamp to return to a decent upright sitting position so you can ACTUALLY CONTROL the bike......"sports bikes"--uugghh-- who the hell wants to drive around town stretched out over a fuel tank like an idiot who put on his ape hangers horizontally instead of vertically--- like a true moron does? My KLR650s and other enduro/adventure bikes give you an upright warning VIEW of the car driver idiots so you can maneuver around them and avoid them..plus, being on top of the bars gives you more leverage and quicker reaction time...with an added possible chance to fly OVER a car instead of flying INTO or UNDER it if slammed into one...might just be a life saving trick...anyway, I want this fully restored turbo to be an enjoyable ride, not a torture machine....but with this crappy weather I probably wont finish this turbo beater until spring....still need to gather new stainless aircraft quality tubing, vacuum hoses, stainless bolts, fresh wiring, painting supplies, fiberglass repair kit, and misc odds and ends.....this bike will shine when done........
Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #57
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Quote:
been working on her for a while......tore those 4 carbs down and slowly cleaned each one, every little orifice and glory hole..had to remove from rack to thoroughly clean....it was hard to find interconnecting pipe seals of the right size....bought new intake rubberized manifolds on both ends...got all the jets out and cleaned, one had to be reverse drilled out...laid bike over to access the turbo and exhaust collector and found lots of rusted bolts. Now working on getting the bolts off to tear apart turbo and inspect...found out the old Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt or Mitsubishi Challenger turbo from the 1980s has just about the same turbo in case mine is shot. Cold, wet, rainy here in Soylent Green Land ( aka L.A.), so I'm just slowly getting rebuild done....engine is superb with 160psi each cylinder, frame straight, wheels great, exhaust pipes great, fairing good but needs repair--repainting in new scheme, carbs getting done, etc..
I found that the FJ1100 triple clamps are a virtually perfect fit by changing bottom bearing to a smaller outside diameter one----I wanted much beefier forks and beefier brakes so I went to FJ1100/1200 and discovered it really is no problem to swap them in EXCEPT--- I forgot that the damn FJ forks had CLIP ON style bars---which I hate....so I might weld on mx handlebar riser bottom clamps onto the top of the FJ triple clamp to return to a decent upright sitting position so you can ACTUALLY CONTROL the bike......"sports bikes"--uugghh-- who the hell wants to drive around town stretched out over a fuel tank like an idiot who put on his ape hangers horizontally instead of vertically--- like a true moron does? My KLR650s and other enduro/adventure bikes give you an upright warning VIEW of the car driver idiots so you can maneuver around them and avoid them..plus, being on top of the bars gives you more leverage and quicker reaction time...with an added possible chance to fly OVER a car instead of flying INTO or UNDER it if slammed into one...might just be a life saving trick...anyway, I want this fully restored turbo to be an enjoyable ride, not a torture machine....but with this crappy weather I probably wont finish this turbo beater until spring....still need to gather new stainless aircraft quality tubing, vacuum hoses, stainless bolts, fresh wiring, painting supplies, fiberglass repair kit, and misc odds and ends.....this bike will shine when done........
LSL & Spiegler make a handlebar conversion for the FJ11/FJ12 that should fit the bill. Just watch ebay or some FJ sites for someone who wants to unload one.

I am surprised that a car turbo fits - the Mitsu turbos from the 80's were 1.6, 2.0 and 2.6l engines. The 2.6 was a really bad engine when normally aspirated - it is incredible that they thought adding a turbo to that engine for the Starion was a good idea. I had a 2.6l Dodge (Mitsu) Challenger when I was in university.

Send me more photos if you want them uploaded.

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 03:25 PM
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #58
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

New Photos

Turbo:

Carbs:

That turbo looks pretty rough. Does it turn smoothly?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #59
bensgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I just stumbled across this thread and am very glad to see a few turbos have survived the years! I purchased a brand-new 1984 in 1986 and put 52k before losing my mind and selling it. In the last year I owned it I re-powered it with a standard 750 engine but it had lost the magic at that point. The failure point was a bad seal in the turbo and with no parts to be found and no Internet to shop world wide it was time for a for sale sign. I would love to have another some day. The worst ticket I ever received was on that bike doing 72mph in a 25 zone on the rear while passing. It's been 23 years since I owned that bike and it still makes me smile thinking about all the adventures it introduced me to.
bensgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #60
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Laugh Old Red Turbo Beater update

Yeah, that turbo looks like hell, but I cross my fingers and hope I can salvage it..the wheel turns OK but the seals must be shot by now. I cant tell until I get it off the exhaust and just look at those two weird deep allen bolts that are rusted to the flange...I'm hoping I can get them off without drilling them out.....I started cleaning the exhaust pipes and mufflers but its been so cold here the high temp paint won't aerosolize fine enough and flow onto the surface properly. Comes out like the worse orange peel surface ever created....so I will just plod through the wiring harness and clean and check all lines and connections in the meantime until things heat up. I have to do fiberglass repairs on the bottom cowling and a zillion other little things to make some progress but I'll get there eventually. Here's a shot of the turbo that goes on the old 80s Dodge /Mitsubishi Colt. I wonder if it will squeeze into the Seca turbo location if I need it? Got a superb machinist/welder buddy to help me when I get stumped or need to weld or fabricate things... I'll plod ahead to the bitter end!! ALBATROSS!! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse! ALBATROSS!!http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Laughing.gif