User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
rsayers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Long Thanksgiving ride on a Symba

I decided to spice up my trip home for Thanksgiving my riding my Symba. I'm in Austin TX and my Family is in Fayetteville AR and the route I took was right at 560 miles. I was trucked back part of the way home at my Dad's insistence. So the round trip was around 900 miles total.

Overall the bike performed very well. I'd say the thing that surprised me the most was that after all that time in the saddle, I wasn't in considerable pain as I was on previous long trips (Honda Ruckus and Buell Blast respectively). I could wax poetically about the joys of long trips on a small bike, but since that would be preaching to the choir, I'll just leave the link to my blog where I did a more extensive writeup.
rsayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Good stuff. The weather over Thanksgiving was great around here too, but I was out of town so no riding. I dig the Symba.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
kiznile
Scooter Commuter

Oddometer: 68
Looks like fun! I've been dying to do a long ride on my scarabeo 200
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Sounds like a fun ride! I'll have to check out your blog later today. The Symbas really aren't bad on a long ride, especially when the seat foam is relatively fresh. Our best day was about 380 miles in 13 hours and we could still walk at the end! Glad you had a good ride.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,553
Glad to hear it held up ok. I seriously want a Symba, but I went and looked at them 3-4 times, and as the PO of a 1982 Honda Passport, the Symba just doesn't seem as well made. I'm also keeping an eye out for a vintage Passport. I know SYM made a lot of Cubs for Honda, but I believe the Passport they sold in the U.S was made in Japan by Honda. I weigh 220 pounds without gear, plus I would have to take along other things, and tools and tubes to fix a few flat tires, which put me very close to the 300 pound weight limit.

Underboning, I finally finished your loooooong ride report. That was amazing. I would have picked small dual sport motorcycles for the trip, but taking the Symbas made it more of an adventure.

I currently have a Vino 125 with almost 25,000 miles on it, which I have ridden on several long trips, and recently bought a Zuma 125, which I just passed 1000 miles on, so now I can start riding it long distance too.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
rsayers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Glad to hear it held up ok. I seriously want a Symba, but I went and looked at them 3-4 times, and as the PO of a 1982 Honda Passport, the Symba just doesn't seem as well made. I'm also keeping an eye out for a vintage Passport. I know SYM made a lot of Cubs for Honda, but I believe the Passport they sold in the U.S was made in Japan by Honda. I weigh 220 pounds without gear, plus I would have to take along other things, and tools and tubes to fix a few flat tires, which put me very close to the 300 pound weight limit.

Underboning, I finally finished your loooooong ride report. That was amazing. I would have picked small dual sport motorcycles for the trip, but taking the Symbas made it more of an adventure.

I currently have a Vino 125 with almost 25,000 miles on it, which I have ridden on several long trips, and recently bought a Zuma 125, which I just passed 1000 miles on, so now I can start riding it long distance too.
I'm a Honda fanboy for sure, and I was on the hunt for a passport when I decided to get the Symba. I decided that once I found a passport in decent shape, got it all shiny and pretty, and had it making any sort of useful power, I'd have spent more than I would on a Symba. I really would have preferred something with a Honda badge on it, even if it was made by Sym... but now that I have it I wouldn't trade it for any other bike.
rsayers is offline   Reply With Quote