Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #61
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
.......I think Honda's GB500 is probably the closest to a modern practical incarnation I've stumbled across.......

i'd really like to stumble onto one of those, one of the neatest looking japanese bikes ever, imho. last time i saw one on CL the ad was gone in less than 40 minutes!!

about a dozen years ago there was a 400cc single show bike on hondas site. cafe style, white frame w/chrome tank. of course it never happened but i personally would have bought one immediately.....
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #62
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
When introduced Those GB 500's sat on the dealer floor for a couple of years before being sold for a song...and now. I guess tastes change. When I see one, rarely, for sale they always start at $4k, and might not be in very good shape either. At that rate I'd try and find a SRX600.

Anyway, I'm off to ride the BV250 - getting closer to a possible buy, but I'd love to try a CBR-250R, none around at the dealers, and probably no real tests rides either.

The BV just goes better, handles better, stops better than most of the larger big bore thumpers I've owned or ridden.

The Bullet prices in India are real out the door too, tax, license, reams of paper work, everything. From my experience the 350 was a nicer bike, neither have any power, and both are really only good to 35 mph before the paint shaker effects takeover, so what's the difference? The drum brakes on the 350 were as good as the disc on the 500, ditto the 4 speed vs the 5 speed, didn't need the electric start, or, even the name the "500 Machismo". Both were very looking bikes, but the 350, the most basic Enfield in India, was gorgeous, done up in the 50's paint scheme that they never bothered to change. It's a pity the 350 isn't offered in the US, or probably elsewhere for that matter.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #63
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
When introduced Those GB 500's sat on the dealer floor for a couple of years before being sold for a song...and now. I guess tastes change. When I see one, rarely, for sale they always start at $4k, and might not be in very good shape either. At that rate I'd try and find a SRX600.
If I could stumble across a nice GB500 for a "reasonable" price I'd jump on it. The last one I saw was at a local dealership in for service. It was in excellent condition.

Ya, it seems to go that way for many a good bike. I think often the manufacturers are head of the curve and the buying public takes too long to figure it out, at least here in the states. I can think of quite a few bikes that has happened with.

A buddy of mine has a SRX600 that is quite tasty with some different 3 spoke wheels on it. I rode it briefly many years ago and liked it, but there was something funky about the twin carb setup and it wouldn't run worth a crap above about 1/2 throttle. Maybe I should try to convince him to sell it to me.... again..... hmmm.

Quote:
...... I'd love to try a CBR-250R, none around at the dealers, and probably no real tests rides either.
I suspect that will be a problem. It's so dang hard to get a test ride on a Japanese bike unless you hit up the MC shows or a dealer demo day. The problem with many of the demo days is they don't have all the bikes available. I wanted to demo a Yamaha WR250R at a recent dealer's demo day and was told it wasn't available for demo even though they had two in the Yamaha trailer. I was told by the Yamaha test crew it was up to the dealers what gets demo'd, it sucks and doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
From my experience the 350 was a nicer bike, neither have any power, and both are really only good to 35 mph before the paint shaker effects takeover
That sounds about right based on my test ride. My plan was to gear up the 500 sufficiently that it thumped along at low rpm so I could save my fillings while I cruised down the back roads. I'm not sure I could bring myself to ride the freeway on one. It reminded me a great deal of my BSA 441 Victor, except my much modified Victor had about 2.5x the power.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #64
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
I love old school thumper street bikes.
What I'm searching for is a modern incarnation of the fabled BSA Goldstar 500.
Look no further!

Name:  sr500%20bsa.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  77.9 KB
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #65
tassie jeeper
XR Cafe Racer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Look no further!

Attachment 297062
recently stumbled onto these myself they run the yammy 500 engine but where does one aquire one of these newly released bikes under the BSA badge...?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #66
tassie jeeper
XR Cafe Racer

Thumb

Quote:
I love old school thumper street bikes.

I test rode a 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500. It feels vintage in pretty much every way. My KLR650 felt like a rocket powered magic carpet ride in comparison. They sell the Clubman version in the UK but not here in the States. I inquired about what it would cost to upgrade it to a Clubman and was quoted about $4000, ouch, that's on top of the $6000 they are asking for a new Bullet classic. It's got the right look, if not the performance of a Goldie.

my father has just droped about 5k into his new bullet in the form of engine parts it has been bored and stroked to 612cc has a ported head, cams hd oil pump, flatslide carb and a few other bits an pieces it should put out aproximatly 40HP once done which isnt too bad concidering (it is the same engine they used in "1952")
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #67
tassie jeeper
XR Cafe Racer

also if u buy an enfeild buy a kickstart ony model if u wanna do any engine mods to it but if u must have an e/start model u can get a pre09 model ie (pre UNIT models)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #68
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassie jeeper View Post
recently stumbled onto these myself they run the yammy 500 engine but where does one aquire one of these newly released bikes under the BSA badge...?
Probably the best BSA you'll ever ride is one with a Yammy engine.
Frankly, I'd rather just cram a 660 into a tracker frame and then fit a BSA tank on it for the looks. The MZ Baghira used the 660 and was a fun bike to ride. A cafe bike with a 660 would be a hoot.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #69
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Aprilia Pegaso Strada, one of my favs (normal road bike, not a focused
racing machine like a Duke 690 and SM690):

..or a bit more focused, the Strada Factory:

The same engine is in the Yamaha XT660X which looks like a supermoto, but
is more show then a proper SM machine, great bike tho:

And the MT03 ALSO uses the same 48hp engine but looks like a bunch
of fun:

Yeah, that. But with a more retro look would be neato mosquito.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #70
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Emissions controls have ensured that air/oil cooled carbureted singles are extinct.

That's perfectly fine, the new water cooled parallel twins from Kawasaki and BMW are just as good, as is the triple from Triumph. I don't see the fascination with old technology, particularly for a street bike.
But,they still sell carbed DR650's and XR650L's,a DR makes a perfectly good big single street bike with just a few changes.
The OP says he wants a big single street bike but he already has one.

Some people want a single,and not a twin or triple,that's the fascination.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #71
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 79
Street Singles

Well, the situation does appear to slowly be improving, with encouraging rumors!
We have the Royal Enfield, the CBR250R, The TU250, the BMW and Husky singles, and we are going to be getting the KTM Duke 390 according to all the rumors
There are also rumors of a Triumph single in the 250-350 range.
This just leaves Yamaha out in the cold. I can't imagine they will stay there forever.
I suspect we will be seeing Chinese branded 250-350 street singles in the near future in the US as well
I sure would like to see the see the SR400 or an SRX 400!!!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #72
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,319
I bought this 2011 Suzuki Blvd S40 650 with 2211 miles today. I am going to like it.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #73
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 542
Aprilia Moto 6.5

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #74
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,734
The mods one can do to a DR650 to make it into any type of bike you want are almost endless; mine is set up like a semi flat tracker with a 19" front, suspension/carb/exhaust mods, etc, etc; so much fun to ride that I find it impossible to justify another street bike... At least until the new Hondas hit the dealers.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #75
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
The Suzuki S40 is a nice street thumper. There is a good forum for the Savage/S40. Here it is:

http://www.suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Read up about the cam chain tensioner and an easy mod you can do. Yours should be fine for quite a while, but knowledge about the issue is a good thing.
I used to ride a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet. Geez, you'da thought I was riding a flaming radical chopper by the amount of interest generated about that bike every time I rode it. You have to allow extra time on any ride to talk to the bikers that will approach you asking about the bike.

I hope we get a Triumph thumper, and the new KTM. I like all the single cylinder dual sports and the Suzuki TU250 too. I've owned a lot of thumpers over 51 years of riding, and hope to get another one.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote