User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Day 1 vid

For those that enjoy video, here's two composite video's that make up day 1 to help provide a better flavor of conditions on the ground. Video courtesy of BackCountryCruizer (650tom on youtube)

part 1 - note: select HD if you have the connection bandwidth

part 2

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #32
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Day 2: Tuesday, Sept 11th 2012

Buckboard campground UT to Moab UT – 103 miles

Woke up to a few light sprinkles on the tent fly. Everything dried by the time we had our morning coffee. Much much easier repacking the bikes today, zippers closed with ease. Where did all the extra room come from?

Soon after starting out we stopped at an overlook off N Creek rd, view perspective is looking north west into the canyonlands valley. We were more focused on the army of clouds. More on this topic in the coming hours.

after descending the north flank of north peak, we made a quick tourist stop at newspaper rock monument

transitioning from light to darkness near South and North Sixshooter Peaks

Quick gas and weather check at the Needles Outpost. We were told by the nice lady running the cafe/store/gas station that the gates of hell were going to open at 2pm sharp. Her advice from years of living at the outpost was we would be safe running into Moab via Lockhart Basin, as long as we arrived by 2pm...mark her words. Next trip down in this area would definitely like to take an opportunity and explorer Canyonlands NP, looked pretty neat from the east boundary.

Next up Lockhart Basin...

dvwalker screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:23 PM Reason: word smith
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,348
Good stuff
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #34
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Lockhart Basin to Moab

Tom and I have been looking forward to this next section since the early stages of route planning. For the next 10 miles or so, the road alternated between hard packed and soft.

Around every corner another photo op

Tom was running point and made a left instead of a right, only had to wait a few minutes before he checked the track on his GPS.

We stopped at these first big steps. I had a waypoint to a hidden little trail cone left by inmate littlewan and bigwan (RR here). Unfortunately, I didn't recall the exact hide location. We looked and looked almost tripping over it. Read in Kelly's trip report later that another inmate snag it a week or so after our visit.

Mucking hot even in the shade for a northerner

The jeep trail keeps cutting north and meandering into and out of side canyons.

First site of the mighty Colorado river

Gopro capture of one of the many little cool canyons

Is that 690r front wheel in a natural position?

Very rare dirt nap for Mr BackCountryCruizer, figure I'd capture this for the history books

Wondering if he was going to take the easy line to the left, yep he did

First sighting of a rental jeep, must be getting close to Moab

This back country outfitter camp wagon even had an on-demand hot water shower. Very impressive 5 star camping

Pulled into Moab around 1:30pm and did another weather check, a wet blob was definitely heading our way, and soon. So we decided to make this a short day and made a beeline for the strip to find a hotel. As it turned out, all the hotels on the strip were completely booked, some kind of big national jeep convention the coming weekend. Typical for the month of Sept. So we started hunting on the side streets and finally found a cheap room for the night. I think it was called the Rustic Inn. Bed, crapper and shower.

After unpacking and covering the bikes, we walked to Zax Wood Fire Pizza on the corner of 100S and Main. We sat outside on their nice patio. Soon as we sat down and started looking over the menu, the gates of hell opened up, wind and rain in the buckets for the next couple of hours. Looking at the time it was 2pm on the nose. In celebration of our good fortune to be in the comfort of a dry covered patio, Tom and I immediately ordered up drinks and toasted the storm. Excellent margarita on the rocks with salt I should add.

Funny side story, we were enjoying our meal and drink watching the event outside and these two gentleman Harley riders exited the restaurant and walk over to their wet bikes. They didn't have any riding gear to speak of except chaps, light cotton shirts and the black half helmets. They debated at length for 5 to 10 minutes about their fear of riding on the wet pavement. Now picture these big macho Harley type complete with skull tattoos, full handlebar mustache, etc and scared of riding in the rain. Just a bit out of their normal projected character. Finally, they over came their fear and headed out on the wet road very gingerly. A 180 degree different spectrum from our style of riding.

Sorry no pics. Dang, we both left our point and shoot's back at the hotel.

Another incredible day of riding. 9 more to go...

Next up Day 3

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Day 2 Map

Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #36
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
We stopped at these first big steps. I had a waypoint to a hidden little trail cone left by inmate littlewan and bigwan (RR here). Unfortunately, I didn't recall the exact hide location. We looked and looked almost tripping over it. Read in Kelly's trip report later that another inmate snag it a week or so after our visit.

Awww, man - dvwalker! You were soooo close!

THIS close:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

Darn it!
Ah, well. You had other things on your mind (like making it down the steps).

Hmmm. I think there's still a cone at the Frazier Lookout (OBDR)...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #37
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

littlewan trail cone

You can even see those beady little eyes peering out of the ledge shadow. So close...

I know exactly where the Frazier lookout cone is, perhaps this early summer.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Day 2 Vid

For those interested, lots of vid from day 2. Suggest using the timeline scroll to jump to interesting bits. Again all vid courtesy of BackCountryCruizer

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #39
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,122
Great Report

Thanks for all of the detail in this report!

The UTBDR is on my short list.

Nice work!

BH
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Score

I'm in Dale. Looks like you guys had a blast
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #41
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Day 3: Wednesday, Sept 12th 2012

Moab UT to Midway UT – 336 miles

Tom and I woke up and turned on the weather channel. To the north and east, directly over our route the green rain blob was still active. The area had received 2 to 3" of rain the past 20+ hours. Forecast indicated the front would finally push out around 10am. We figured with the desert sun beating down that conditions would dry out fairly quick. We took our time in the hotel room, cleaning, charging, organizing etc. Also walked up the strip looking to grab a few supplies and grub.

Finally, departed the hotel around 9:30am and stopped to top off our gas. Next gas stop wouldn't be until Green River, approx 150 miles.

We headed out of town from the strip on 300 which turns into mill creek rd, then turned onto sand flats road which will take us east past all the main moab attractions (ie, slick rock, porcupine rim trail, etc).

To gain entrance into sand flats recreation area, you're required to stop and pay an entrance fee. We mentioned to the tax collector that we're riding the UTBDR and passing thru. He didn't know anything about the UTBDR, but mentioned he had only heard of one other that mentioned this route. Perhaps the wan's on their school bus since they went thru in early summer.

So we spent a few minutes educating, talked about the discovery trail website and showed a zoom'ed out track on the GPS. He mentioned the road is closed ahead in about 20 miles due to construction at Lasal Mtn Loop rd. He looked over our bikes and said but we may be able to use an alternate trail workaround, which he explained. Then he let us pass without paying the entrance fee, as long as we're going one-way.

finally, ready to roll and heading east on sand flats road. We disagree with the signage

a few clouds still lingering over the primary peaks in the Manti-la Sal NF, no dust yet...

fun little dirt road, area still recovering from a fire

construction workaround is the GPS file. To the left of the road closed signage there was a unpaved semi-graded road that headed down. This turned into a jeep track then a steep rocky uphill back up to the pavement, and around the culvert construction. Definitely would be a handful on a loaded big bike. In any case, looked like a temporary closure, so probably not an issue for future travelers.

looking west into porcupine draw, arches NP on the picture horizon

Next up Kokopelli trail

dvwalker screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 01:03 PM Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Kokopelli to dewey bridge

After passing North Beaver Mesa to the left, there's a turnoff to the north with actual signage marking the next section of the Kokopelli (horny flute dude) trail. As many know, the entire Kokopelli trail is a 142 mile multi-use route used primarily by mountain bikes between moab and colorado state line (loma). The UTBDR uses a couple sections.

soft wet sand to keep us on our toes, you can see BackCountryCruizer's track

route descends the mesa on onion creek and hideout road (jeep track). Very fun section. Quick poser stop at a overlook near cowhead hill. Weather is definitely looking good.

Very strange to see water in the desert. This next section called the Narrows was really neat. The graded road crosses onion creek a couple dozen times and terminates on hwy 128 hear the colorado river.

quick rest stop at dewey bridge campground

remains of the old suspension bridge (longest in Utah until fire) over the colorado river, burned in 2008. Long history and sounds like they're trying to raise funds to rebuild, more info here

Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

dewey bridge to Green River

Proceeding on hwy 128 pavement for a few miles, we turned onto Owl Draw Rd heading west then north. This is an unimproved jeep trail and was a lot of fun. Eventually crossing under US I-70.

One of the old mining shacks still standing, at least for now.

eventually you pass under I-70 on frontage road then head west on a jeep track after crossing the denver rio grande western rail line.

Conditions were icy in spots, definitly had to pay attention. Water was still draining from the previous rain event and just below surface grade, and in the draws crossing the road

appears rancher is working the area getting it ready for grazing

fussing with his bungie tied bits. I think next trip Tom will finally break down and buy an waterproof ortieb bag

for the most part, we ran side by side until green river, until....

This. BackCountryCruizer was feeling in the zone so twisted the throttle and took point. I was still not feeling it with the icy conditions. Then around one of the next corners, I see this which didn't look good

you can see in the line how he lost it, got sideways, then regained forward momentum towards the bank, until the front went left and nosed under. His foot was severely tweaked under the bike. Bike was okay with exception of the Lynx fairing, which you can see is cracked and came jarred loose from the mounts. After a quick repair and sucking up the major pain, BackCountryCruizer remounted his stead for our final push into Green River for gas and lunch. So close to pulling it out...

last wet draw before Green River. I took a virgin line

old US 50, mother nature beginning to reclaim

Pulled into Green River around 3:30pm, a bit longer than expected with the unexpected. Tom's 690r ran out of gas just about 100 yards from the gas stop, but was able to coast into the pump. Text book, but lucky...

dvwalker screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 01:34 PM
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #44
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Green River to ?

Got a quick fried meal and elevated foot rest time to let Tom's throbbing pain settle, wishful thinking. Very thankful he was wearing his big heavy tech 8 dirt bike boots, otherwise trip would have ended here. He decided to leave the boot on during our stop to contain the swelling, otherwise may have been difficult getting it back on and causing even more pain.

The setting sun wasn't going to wait any longer so Tom sucked it up we got back on the bikes, heading west thru central Green River. The town is actually bigger than I had expected.

From here our planned route was to get on US 70 a short distance and join the TAT to ride black dragon canyon, then rejoin the utbdr via buckhorn draw rd. From various TAT ride reports I've read, the Black dragon wash looks like a real hoot if you like sand, but with a little common sense applied we decided to take the easier route option today.

We drove west on US 70 for a couple miles then took US 191 north. Then turned off onto CR-1029 after about a mile. This was a nice graded road for a while, then turned into more or less a powerline type road. The track basically parallels US 191 in a longer way going north into Wellington. We briefly discussed dumping onto the hwy to shorten the route, but adrenaline was taking over and we were having too much fun.

Apparently this leg was part of the old Spanish trail trade route linking New Mexico and Cali.

the numerous washes were still wet and muddy, so extra precaution was taken

We pulled into Wellington around 6:45pm and headed to a gas station on hwy 191 to discuss route options. The planned route continues north east on nine mile canyon rd then heads into some remote back country. We had less than an hour of light remaining. Not really wanting to stay in one of the Wellington box hotels, I suggested an speeder alternative to keep going north and lay up in a fancy timeshare I had access to near Midway. Provide a medical layover and opportunity to take a soak. Tom said that works for him.

I had loaded BigDog and DingWeed's Mexico to Canada track on my Montana just in case, and noticed an interesting track section that cut north thru Uinta NF then Uintah/Ouray reservation and past Solider Creek Reservoir. This was a direct and the shortest route to the town of Midway. We could rejoin and t-bone the UTBDR the next day by simply going east.

So we got back on US 191 north then turned onto US 6 north heading towards Solider Meadow. The track started just before Solider Meadow, on Right Fork rd. It was dark now, and cool so stopped to put on layers and zip up the vents. For the most part the next section was an unimproved forest road. We road side by side to maximize our lighting. The 690r had upgraded lighting (2 HIDs?) and the factory wr250r beam is pretty good. As we road we could see wildlife darting out of the corners of darkness. At one point I swear I saw a big cat of some sort.

We had an absolute blast riding like this for the next 35 miles, sensory overload.

After a cold section of US 40 highway, we pulled into Midway around 9:30pm and checked into our room. Unfortunately the room was up a flight of stairs, so helped Tom with the gear shuttle.

After boot removal the left foot wasn't looking pretty. Shades of purple and swellng, Ibuprofen time...

Day 3 conclusion 336 miles, 634 total

Next up Idaho border and Bear Lake

Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #45
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Day 3 Route Map