Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #46
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Motorcycles are 100% toys for me and I like new toys so no bike is safe!
Love my 690 and no plans to replace it but am often thinking about the EXC 500.
990 SMR is a crazy fun bike. Don't ride it very much. Could replace it with a 1190 Adventure R which I also probably would not ride much! But for now the 690 and 990 are pretty comfy in my garage.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #47
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_csquare View Post
Yes, my ZX14 is an 06 model. It is quite striking in red. I have become addicted to the grunt, and I find it quite comfortable to ride as well. I am with you though on a lighter, more nimble replacement, and a KTM Superduke or 990 SMT would also be high on my shopping list. Where I live, the risks and consequences of exploring the full capabilities of the ZX14 on public roads have just become too great. We also have lots of winding back roads in our area, and something like the KTM is better suited to those environments.
I love my 06 ZX14, and enjoy riding it, however, it is so powerful that you can get into trouble very fast. I am still somewhat afraid of mine. I cannot imagine what the new model must be like. I seldom ride mine, preferring the predictability and comfort of my 09 KLR. Again, the red model ZX 14 is indeed breathtaking!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #48
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,146
I would replace all three of mine with the same bikes. I will always be an FJR fan, I love the Ulysses, and there is nothing on earth like a Ural Gobi Gear Up. I've played with quite a few bikes and for once am not on the hunt for the next great bike.
Feels good to be able to say that for a change.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #49
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
I might replace my 1200GS with an RT and get a thumper for the off road stuff. Or maybe just go with the GS again.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #50
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
The Tuono cannot be replaced with a new one. So I'd find a good used one. Yep it's that good of a bike.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #51
j_csquare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
I love my 06 ZX14, and enjoy riding it, however, it is so powerful that you can get into trouble very fast. I am still somewhat afraid of mine. I cannot imagine what the new model must be like. I seldom ride mine, preferring the predictability and comfort of my 09 KLR.
I have had my ZX14 for 5 years, and have done about 30,000 miles on it. After all this time, the ferocity with which it accelerates when pinned still scares me. It is nice to have all that power available - the problem is that one rarely gets to use all of it.

I often wonder how much of the service life of bikes like the ZX14, Busa or any superbike ridden exclusively on the road is spent with the throttle wide open. I know mine can be counted in minutes, if not seconds.
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
4 or 2 wheel replacement

I rolled my jeep off road in Dec of 2011. It was EASILY repaired by me and friends. Did I keep or replace it with another? No. Still think they are great FOR OFF ROAD. But for the commute and hauling bikes...not so much. I went small body pickup.

Now, in the 2 wheeled market? I've been riding since 1988 (on the street), have wrecked SEVERAL, and had SEVERAL stolen. Pretty much really liked all of them. Did I ever replace those missing with the same model? Yes. In fact, replacing my 1980 CX500 with a 1982 CX500 got me across country in 1994, Virginia to California, and not a short, interstate path....That said, did I replace others? NO. Like many have said: TOO MANY SWEET RIDES! However, brand loyalty has definitely been found. NOT because of others opinions or only looks of the bike, but ACTUAL miles. I worked at two large named HD places in the 90's. Would I get one? Yep, but VERY specific models. Currently, I have a Rockster and a Buell, would I look for the SAME year and/or models? NO! But I would definitely look for the same mechanical abilities.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #53
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
i love my bike but id try something else for the craic
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #54
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
The Tuono cannot be replaced with a new one. So I'd find a good used one. Yep it's that good of a bike.
Not the V4?

I have a shadow with custom paint that I couldnt replace, I wouldnt get a normal shadow. The zx6 is good and would be high on my list but I wold test ride other bikes. The drz250 is good as well but a wr would be nice.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #55
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:

My second car is a little 4wd Suzuki Jimny. It is pretty slow, lacks power steering and has a rock-hard suspension. However, I would buy the same car in a flash. It is 100% reliable, cheap to run, and built like a little Tonka truck. I love it!

We have a 05 Suzuki Swift the wife has long moved on from to a current shape Rav4...
It's sits around a lot but is plunged into commuting duties when the bike can't or weather is extreme.
Its actual fun to drive,forget 5th gear,use 95 ULP,fit 195 tyres.it has 125 k Klm and is 100 per cent reliable
also cheaper over all to run than a 1000 bike,sad but true.probably buy again as a retirement town car.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Would I buy another Aprilia Caponord 1000,or for that matter another Aprilia product...
...hmmm,yes,probably,but a major factor here is the brilliant on line support from AF1racing.com website
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,349
The 2007 X-Challenge - I would likely replace it with the exact same thing (used, since they don't make it anymore). For my DS needs, it is the perfect bike. The new Husky Terra is pretty close to how I've set up my X-Challenge, so I might consider that. But I really don't have any major complaints with the bike and there's a lot about it I love.

The DL1000 - I probably wouldn't buy another. The Stroms are a great bargain on the used market and for that reason alone it might be possible I would own another. But there's a lot of great bikes in that price range too, and frankly, I like the bike but don't love it and am fairly sure I never will.

I guess another way I would look at it would be if my bikes got stolen and I was reimbursed the total amount I have invested in each one. In the case of the X, I would be upset that I have to go to the trouble of finding and farkling another X. In the case of the DL, I think I would actually be happy and look forward to trying something new.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #58
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,182
I'm all about trying new stuff. If I've had a bike for more than a season or two, there is almost no chance I would replace any bike with same one again given the opportunity.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #59
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Some people recon that it is the ultimate test of satisfaction with a car/ bike if you are willing to do it all over again.

I'll start. When the time comes, I won't be replacing my ZX-14 with another, not even a ZX-14R. I would happlily trade some of the excess power for lighter weight and better handling.

My second car is a little 4wd Suzuki Jimny. It is pretty slow, lacks power steering and has a rock-hard suspension. However, I would buy the same car in a flash. It is 100% reliable, cheap to run, and built like a little Tonka truck. I love it!

I wish we still could get trucks like the jimny in the states. We don't, so we fight over the remaining Samurais that are left and pay outrageous (3x 4x bluebook) prices for a 25 year old vehicle.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #60
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I don't trade bikes often, or ever really. But over time what I want out of a bike has evolved. So, if someone stole my 2000 Harley Super Glide Sport, I would not replace it. Not because it is a bad bike, but because I don't want a bike like it as much as I used to. I still like the looks of some cruisers and sometimes think I want another one, but the truth is that I don't. So if the Harley got stolen I probably wouldn't replace it all.

Now, my Buell Uly XT is another matter. I really like that bike. The only negative is that of course they aren't made anymore and I sometimes am concerned about support going forward. I wonder how hard it will be to get parts in 5 or 10 years and who I will get to work on it. But I rode it about 250 miles yesterday and loved it. The bike just makes me smile. And the bikes I'd consider replacing it with are much more expensive and I don't have the finances to spend the extra right now. So, I guess I better hope nothing happens to my Buell.

My next bike will either be something similar to my Buell, but perhaps a bit more DS like a R1200GS or a full on touring bike. The Ducati MS is very interesting to me, but high price and high maintenance cost make me a bit nervous. Of course, I guess the same could be said of the BMW. I guess the Yamaha ST would be an option, but I just can't warm up to that bike. Probably the best bet would be one of the new Triumphs.

If I went touring, I'd really consider a sport touring bike as well. Man, there are a lot of choices. Must be a great time to buy a bike.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote