Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1156
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
Not everyone belongs in college. Sorry, that's a hard fact that goes against our current touchy feely climate. Some kids? Belong in a factory making widgets. Let's spend some money finding meaningful jobs instead of education kids who don't belong there for jobs that don't exist.
We have just started to realise this in Britain and re-introduced apprenticeships, for one thing we were running out of skilled people be it in my field of engineering, the building trade or mechanics, if it were not for the influx of skilled workers from Central Europe nothing would get done here. The other point is with tuition fees and living costs while studying, university education has become an expensive luxury with no guarantee of a good job afterwards, school leavers seem to be encouraged to do any degree with little thought as to its use afterwards, we have some very qualified shelf stackers and bar staff.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1157
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Interesting thread... here was my reply....

in another thread that I thought related well to this one, which I love to read...
Summary: you can do well in the US also. ;)

Jdowns: "Living in a foreign country sounds good on paper but it gets old for most people after 6 months or so. I suggest people go rent a place in the foreign country that interests them and see for themselves before making any big expensive lifestyle changes." THIS. I've lived in a few 1st world countries, and enjoyed it, but if you don't speak the language and make friends fast, you get lonely... IMHO. A rental in a foreign country for 3 or 4 months, then running back home would be ideal. My goal is to have a few rentals in the States, run away for 3 or 4 months, then bounce back... take care of business. I find the US of A to be about as cheap for the quality as you can get... people just want and expect too much, and often, you can't find that for cheap in other countries.... Mexico included. Quality and safety cost...

I live in a house that cost me 48k, 4 years ago in a somewhat ghetto neighborhood, close to Atlanta... they stole my 1997 DR650 in April... part of the cost you pay... this place has saved me over 38,000 dollars in rent/mortgage over 4 years versus my intown house that I now rent out... the moto was valued at 2k and got me to the Copper Canyon and back last December...

In a few years I plan on renting a place ON the beach in Central America, probably Honduras or Guatemala, for a few months and just laying low, and riding out when I feel like it....

JDowns, thanks for your RR, they are hard to do and keep up with. My RR to Copper Canyon was decent I thought, but it was really, really tough keeping up with it.... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745618 you are doing a great job and keeping us entertained to boot! Thanks! Ride Safe and keep on Writing! Gentri in GA
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #1158
996Pilot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
At 44 Ill will finished paying of my house. That's 6 years from now. That will give me 21 years to save every cent I can. At 60 I plan to get a truck and camper with a hitch motorcycle carrier. Ill drive around the states for 5 years. Based out of my California home. Then at 65 when my ssi kicks in I am heading down south. Ill go wherever the road takes me. If I find somewhere I like ill just stay. That has always been the plan for me since the first time I went camping in a camper. That was in 1983 with my friends retired grandparents. I knew then that was the way I wanted to end up too. Ben
Sorry -- at your current age your SSI won't be kicking in at 65. More like 71
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #1159
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996Pilot View Post
Sorry -- at your current age your SSI won't be kicking in at 65. More like 71
If ever.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #1160
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Live now. Then Live good later too. The Deferred Life Plan is no good. Thinking you will have it made 20 years from now..........
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #1161
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Live now. Then Live good later too. The Deferred Life Plan is no good. Thinking you will have it made 20 years from now..........
So true. But it's great to have plans for the future.

Seems life is always surprising me with something new that I hadn't expected. Sometimes it good, and sometimes it's not.

It's easy to make lemonade from lemons, but I haven't found a good way to salvage BS!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #1162
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
It's easy to make lemonade from lemons, but I haven't found a good way to salvage BS!
Go into politics.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #1163
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Go into politics.

I forgot about "twisting facts and blaming others"....
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #1164
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
The only real difficulty for me has been getting my s.o. on the same page. I'm having a hard time convincing her that life is still life if it's lived in a house, on a boat, in an rv, or out of a saddlebag. Or maybe I'm the one that needs convincing that a home isn't a death sentence to travel and a wandering life.
You & me both pal..... You & me BOTH!!

however....I AM actually making a bit of progress on getting the wifey out to where the fun is!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #1165
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Cheap???

My advice...stay out of big cities and places Americans go.....
I live in centeral Mexico and I pay.....
Less than 150 a month rent and I live in a middle class neighborhood
Maid 5 days a week house cleaned and clothes washed and ironed less than 35
Water bill 10 a month
Elect 10 a month
My son lived in Honduras for a couple of years and he said the cost of living there is about half of what it costs in Mexico
You cand spend as little or as much as you like
Safety......dress down but don't look too much like a bum
Good luck
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #1166
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've always had that wanderlust thing - when I was in HS I said I was going to live on a boat and if I didn't like my neighbors I could just pull out of the slip and move.

I have spent some time traveling around and looking at that spot to be the ExPat in - I have found that anytime you find a realtor from CA that has moved to where you are looking it is now time to move on. They start pushing up the real estate prices and saying things like ' A view like this in CA would cost you ten times as much' Then I tell them you can still buy acres of land in MS at 1500.00 per - FORK buying a 75x100 lot for 50,000.00 in a third world country!!

Oh Yeah - I now have the retirement boat A 32ft Catamaran, but it needs a little work

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #1167
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
My advice...stay out of big cities and places Americans go.....
I live in centeral Mexico and I pay.....
Less than 150 a month rent and I live in a middle class neighborhood
Maid 5 days a week house cleaned and clothes washed and ironed less than 35
Water bill 10 a month
Elect 10 a month
My son lived in Honduras for a couple of years and he said the cost of living there is about half of what it costs in Mexico
You cand spend as little or as much as you like
Safety......dress down but don't look too much like a bum
Good luck
You can find a lot of posts where people claim to be living on a fraction of the cost of life in the US. Glaringly absent from most of these posts is any description of the quality of life they have in Central Mexico or anywhere else.

A lonely gringo stumbling over the language and holed up in his cheap apartment -- even one with maid service, water and electricity -- is not a happy sight.

For the record I also lived in central Mexico (Zacatecas) for about two years just after I got out of the Army. But I was riding my motorcycle all over -- twice to the Yucatan -- and having some pretty colorful adventures with Mexican friends. To be there primarily because it's cheap seems a pretty lame motive.

And it's amazingly easy to distinguish between those expatriates who actually have a lively interest in local culture and the growth opportunity that lifestyle represents and those who are only there for the cheap booze or inability to function usefully in the US. All you have to do is exchange a few words with them to determine whether or not they speak the local language or at least are attempting to get beyond "otra cerveza, por favor." If they don't speak the local lingo it's a sign that the life they accept is essentially bounded by the four walls of their bargain apartment. That's sad.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #1168
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
You can find a lot of posts where people claim to be living on a fraction of the cost of life in the US. Glaringly absent from most of these posts is any description of the quality of life they have in Central Mexico or anywhere else.

A lonely gringo stumbling over the language and holed up in his cheap apartment -- even one with maid service, water and electricity -- is not a happy sight.

For the record I also lived in central Mexico (Zacatecas) for about two years just after I got out of the Army. But I was riding my motorcycle all over -- twice to the Yucatan -- and having some pretty colorful adventures with Mexican friends. To be there primarily because it's cheap seems a pretty lame motive.

And it's amazingly easy to distinguish between those expatriates who actually have a lively interest in local culture and the growth opportunity that lifestyle represents and those who are only there for the cheap booze or inability to function usefully in the US. All you have to do is exchange a few words with them to determine whether or not they speak the local language or at least are attempting to get beyond "otra cerveza, por favor." If they don't speak the local lingo it's a sign that the life they accept is essentially bounded by the four walls of their bargain apartment. That's sad.
You make really excellent points that reflect my observations.

People always mention that they live in a Dream Location. They never mention that they live in 3rd world conditions in a roach infested dump because anything semi-decent in Dream Location is expensive. They always compare themselves with local dirt-poor farmers and how - comparatively - they are doing great! They never compare themselves with local educated middle class that don't live in shacks and have regular housing that is comparable to US housing.

Most developing countries are only cheap if you want to live on the baseline like a _poor_ local. If you want air-conditioning instead of baking in 100 degree room 24/7, hot water in your bathroom, clean, without any bugs running around, with decent kitchen, in safe area - prices are often more expensive than in the USA for comparable standard of living. It depends on the exact country and location, and some places offer better value than others, but this is how it goes for a lot of locations.

People say they don't mind it, but it seems like very few can withstand to live on the baseline for long. It wears on you. That's why there are very few people who manage to do it long term.

Developing countries are also only cheap if you drastically alter typical lifestyle. If you plan to have kids and provide for them, you will be shocked what a good education will cost you in these countries.

And if you ever want to get a car - or anything that needs to be imported - you will find that everything is ridiculously expensive because of heavy import duties/tariffs... much more than USA prices. So if you want to maintain or try some life enriching activity - photography, ice skating, bicycling, mountain climbing, paragliding, whatever - you will find it prohibitively expensive and logistically difficult to pursue.

The only "cheap life" you can have is sitting on the beach, sleeping in your hut, and drinking cheap beer. That gets pretty old, pretty fast for vast majority of people with a modicum of motivation, self-development, or curiosity for life.

I've met plenty of people living like this and I got the impression and feeling that they felt stuck, not free.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #1169
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhas View Post
Oh Truck drivers are still required for the time being but as Warren Buffett said about his billions invested in railroads, they'll be the transportation of the future.

Actually, Volvo Trucks have been experimenting with a system wherein one driver controls multiple remotely controlled trucks that all play follow the leader.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #1170
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,439
you seem to have a very slanted view.

i lived in Sayulita for almost a year and meet many people who infact did not have alot of $ nor as much required.

they key was to no debt, simplify and connect. sure they were not out eating it up at restaurants every night but they had solid connections with friends they saw every day at the beach or in the square (vrs sitting in front of the stupid TV box which most americans do). they didn't own cars and some worked part time. 1 bd rents were $250/mo for everything and food is indeed cheap. they got together with friends, bonfires on the beach, playing instruments and surfing w/ friends. there was always something going on w/ the mexican community/town so plenty of fun things happening. sure they'd have a beer or 2 but that wasn't the point.

if you ask me, they are better off than alot of the people i see back in the US, commuting in their cars & sitting at traffic lights, working all the time (to pay off all this debt that is suppose to make their lives better) and then heading home at night & just watch the make you dumb box (vrs walking their neighborhood and talking w/ neighbors). my wife and I walk most nights and we hardly see anyone yet every house is lit up w/ a TV going. in mexico you head out to the square.

it was the tourist who would show up for a week or 2 and drink like fishes however. this was there chance at escaping the drudge.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote