Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #361
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
The KTM and Husaberg part numbers for the stock oil filter cover are both 75038041200 so this should fit. I just measured the one on my 690 and it is ~29mm center to center of the bolt holes and they are exactly 180* across from each other. Don't know if this helps any, but they are only ~$12 so it would seem to me that it would be worth buying a stock one and tapping 2 holes (1/8" npt) and making one yourself. One dead center (supply) and one anywhere else (return) should do the trick?
Thanks for digging that up. The OEM cast caps seem pretty thin-walled to drill & tap which is why I was looking for a bit beefier option.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #362
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
way back at the start of this thread Lostrider linked to Cyrus's 570 Adventure build over at expedition portal... he plumbed the frame and did all kinds of cool stuff with the oil..waaayyy beyond my ability.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #363
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
I go camping for a few days and upon my return my email is full of replies in this thread. It's blowing up in here with great information flowing to better our Husa's for traveling! Love it.
I'm digging what you guys are throwing down with the adding oil challenge, I just don't have enough time to really join in on the research beyond I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon once someone figures it out.
Free LOST decals for life to the mad scientist who gets it right!

Like I was talking about before I did made a purchase (off ebay to save a few bucks) to greatly increase the light output of my Husa, even with my HID headlamp, for better, faster, safer night time travel. I learned in Baja I needed more light output, and some redundancy. Would have been very bad if my main light failed when on the trail at night solo.
A couple of Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights is the route I went. They fit perfectly on the OEM turn signal mount, I just needed to cut a couple of standoffs to move them .7 inches out from the mount to clear the mask.
I haven't wired them up yet, and now it's time to leave for work for few weeks so I'll finish when I get home. Plus I'm also waiting on the delivery from HDB with the key mount for a new placement of the ignition since it was hitting the Safari tank and can't stay where it was with the new LED lights in place.
Also I'm installing the incorporated HDB guard turn signals that I had on a previous bike in place of the OEM ones, waiting on the flasher units and the switches I'll be using for the LED's from HDB also.

Oh yeah, I am trying out some more boutique tires on the Husa, looking to expand my traction and keep decent milage for SoCal desert adventures. I like the Mefo's quite a bit, especially when I need a 3000+ tire, but have also been itching to try out these Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T for a while. Having just 2 days riding 100% dirt on them I can't comment on tarmac handling or how long they will last but other reviews are very positive that they wear well are good on pavement.
One thing is for sure, they aren't lying about the traction they provide, they are the Tractionator's after all. Incredible traction, at least on hard pack dirt/rocks and in sand.
Excellent tire, I'll even go so far as to say I like it more than a D606, and I love that tire. Since they are priced about the same, I'll take the Tractionators from this point out when I can be home to accept them from mail order. Plus the name just makes me smile. lol
We'll see about milage, I have high hopes and am happy to have found two different tires for different types of adventures.
I bought them from http://www.dualsportarmory.com and they were delivered the next day.

After riding on the Tractionators, I had to stop at Wendy's and get a Baconator on the way home!

Looking forward to getting these little lights and the rest of my dash sorted out, and really hoping one of you fellows does the best thing for the Husaberg 70 community ever and comes up with an affordable and relatively simple way to increase our range between oil changes!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:59 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #364
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Nice tire....trying it on my SE next.....

oh...I got a front tube to fit perfectly in the "Secret" storage space behind the rear plastic....cool little touch...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #365
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Lost, keep us posted on those Tractionators, gnarly looking tread. I was interested in them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
way back at the start of this thread Lostrider linked to Cyrus's 570 Adventure build over at expedition portal... he plumbed the frame and did all kinds of cool stuff with the oil..waaayyy beyond my ability.

mrt10x I remember that article. He did tap the OEM oil filter cover. I'll have to read and see where the outlet was. Also there's the issue of stealing oil pressure from the main oil gallery if not done right. Just trying to add capacity and not necessarily fancy cooling.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #366
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,061
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, adding an oil cooler should have no effect at all on your oil pressure if plumbed correctly. It would be the same as putting a submersible pump in your swimming pool and spraying water, or putting the same pump in a lake to spray water. The only pressure would be in the oil galley to components. Once the oil leaves the galley it is no longer pressurized. And, to just add a foot or two of hose length and a cooler should have almost no impact unless the oil pump is pretty much Maxed out for the current system. Just thinking outloud I guess.......

1997 DR350SE
2010 Husaberg FE450 (plated)
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #367
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Be very careful on the Tractionator on anything wet, clay or bitumen. A few of us call them the Nontractionator they are that bad, to the point of being dangerous. Especially on wet bitumen, mates on 990 could not even slightly accelerate without the back flicking out, my XCH was not much better.

They wear great though, and handle better the more worn they are. If you never go on bitumen or wet areas then all should be okay. You could really feel the transition from centre to side knobs going through a corner, not the most confidence inspiring feeling.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #368
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Be very careful on the Tractionator on anything wet, clay or bitumen. A few of us call them the Nontractionator they are that bad, to the point of being dangerous. Especially on wet bitumen, mates on 990 could not even slightly accelerate without the back flicking out, my XCH was not much better.

They wear great though, and handle better the more worn they are. If you never go on bitumen or wet areas then all should be okay. You could really feel the transition from centre to side knobs going through a corner, not the most confidence inspiring feeling.
Just to confirm "bitumen" is like asphalt for us right swirl toilet bowlers?
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #369
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Thanks for the heads up Cruz.
My next adventures will more than likely be exploring around Death Valley, or back in Baja. Desert riding with some tarmac to get there and back. The chance for wet weather is pretty slim, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Will keep you posted cyborg, probably not a good tire for the NorthWet, but you do get around... They do have other model tires for various terrains.
Thanks for your reviews on the Squadron, it helped in my choice of LED lights!

Looking forward to getting back here.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #370
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Welcome!

BajaDad was talking about making a skid plate/oil resiovor a while back but I think he has been busy with other things recently
(like Baja, lol) and has not updated us on it. NowWhat over on the main 70degree forum is also getting a new skid plate that is supposed to increase oil capacity. He hasn't posted his up yet either. Like you I originally wanted a fuel tank there but after reading Lost's success with Safari tank and upcoming release of the subframe tank v.2 (don't really know but maybe happy thoughts will actually get it produced!) I have decided to a oil tank in that area would be better. I will just have to fork over the dough for two fuel tanks.

On another note, anyone know of any ride reports of some one taking the 570 across the TAT? I know Lost has done a portion of it and several member have went long, long distances on their but I can't seem to find any reports of folks taking the Berg all the way thru the TAT. I am planning to do the whole trail at the end if next summer and I would like to read up what others have done. I figure bike type doesn't really matter that much in planning but I would like to read about stories of Hsuabergs on the TAT.
So, which end of the continent are you planning of starting at? I've met riders on that trail, I've considered it solo,and I have not ridden it, but I'm interested.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #371
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
So, which end of the continent are you planning of starting at? I've met riders on that trail, I've considered it solo,and I have not ridden it, but I'm interested.
I am moving from RI to CO next spring.. I have considered dropping the Husaberg off at the beginning of the TAT then flying back from CO and riding the trail back out.. We could put together a whole Husaberg TAT team..
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #372
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
I live in Georgia so plan I starting in Tennessee and heading to Oregon where I have a friend that will hopefully help me ship the bike back home.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #373
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
I live in Georgia so plan I starting in Tennessee and heading to Oregon where I have a friend that will hopefully help me ship the bike back home.
I'm in middle TN holler if you need anything or a place to crash
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #374
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Quote:
Just to confirm "bitumen" is like asphalt for us right swirl toilet bowlers?

Yeah, that would be asphalt or tar over there, black hard stuff.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #375
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider;20144916

Like I was talking about before I did made a purchase (off [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baja-Designs-SII-LED-FLOOD-LIGHT-1-800-Lumens-Lights-UTV-66-0202-Make-Offer-/300817908686?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3813589007755630801%26pid%3 D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D160918496674% 26"
ebay to save a few[/URL] bucks) to greatly increase the light output of my Husa, even with my HID headlamp, for better, faster, safer night time travel. I learned in Baja I needed more light output, and some redundancy. Would have been very bad if my main light failed when on the trail at night solo.
A couple of Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights is the route I went. They fit perfectly on the OEM turn signal mount, I just needed to cut a couple of standoffs to move them .7 inches out from the mount to clear the mask.
I haven't wired them up yet, and now it's time to leave for work for few weeks so I'll finish when I get home. Plus I'm also waiting on the delivery from HDB with the key mount for a new placement of the ignition since it was hitting the Safari tank and can't stay where it was with the new LED lights in place.
Also I'm installing the incorporated HDB guard turn signals that I had on a previous bike in place of the OEM ones, waiting on the flasher units and the switches I'll be using for the LED's from HDB also.

Looks good lost, i thought about doing something similar with my lights but on my 09 the indicator mounts are flimsy plastic rather than the more solid metal (?) mounts you have the other thing i thought might be issue mounting them that way round is the beam design ... i assume that they are designed to be mounted horizontally rather than vertically so the beam spread might be interesting ....... will be interested to see how it works out when wired up
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote