Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
The monster Monster thread! (formerly Why not a Monster)

In the Hyperstrada thread I mentioned that that new bike might sway me from my intended purchase of a new Monster, and I recieved this reply...
Quote:
@justkip. Dont get a monster. Trust me.
and it got me wondering just WTF is wrong with a Monster?
Is there anybody who's not a n00b with 8 posts saying "trust me" with any real reason not to get a Monster?

I loved the ride of the 900M I test rode years ago, and love the look of most naked roadsters.
Why should I trust some annonymous poster with no reasons expressed? I understand that the seat on the new 796 and 1100 Evo are much more comfortable and don't crush you against the tank, and that was my only complaint, but I haven't ridden either of the new ones yet.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I think the original older monsters might be overall better bikes then modern ones. Modern ones seem to have a bunch of wonky programming in the fueling/ECU/emissions equipment designed to shoehorn the ancient air cooled motor designs to pass modern standards. After driving a modern 1100 Evo for a bit, there's no way I could live with that bike day to day, especially with it's below 4000 RPM behavior.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
No reason not to, if it speaks to you, and fits you.
Dollar for dollar, might not be the most rational choice, but that's not why we we choose motorcycles.
Air cooled naked, sporty bike, what's not to love?
A tad fiddley come valve adjustments time but nothing a dedicated noob couldn't handle.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Friend of mine used to own an old 900 Monster and loved it. Seemed very reliable and great for city use. The sound fom the Termi pipes was great as well. Other than the crazy valve maintenance schedule I would go for one if I was looking for a gret bike at a great price. Furthermore, you can -assume- that most are well kept bc of the demographics that buy them new. Yes I know, there is always n exception. Come to think of it, I may want one myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 733
had a 2002 M750 for 4 seasons, loved it. great handling, brakes and looks. simple 2v, no probs, tasteful and/or performance mods easy to come by. had BCM re-spring the front for me, heaven.

new ones look a little wonky to me, and pricey. have you looked at a pre-plastic tank model?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
In the Hyperstrada thread I mentioned that that new bike might sway me from my intended purchase of a new Monster, and I recieved this reply...

Is there anybody who's not a n00b with 8 posts saying "trust me" with any real reason not to get a Monster?
This is why it bugs me so much when some assbutt on the intertubes says "trust me." Sod off, dude. I don't know you. You're trying to convince me of something, so do it. Use your words like a big boy!

Snatchy throttle, low rpm response, and the bargain bin suspension on SOME monsters make them a no-bueno deal for me. Though some monsters came with better parts than others.
But if you want one you should go get one. I meter a bike by how well it does in 35mph traffic stopngo, tiight turns, and zipping down backroads. Il Monstro 900 was bellissimo on the backroads at 45mph + for me.

Screw it. You only live once. Buy it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 866
I own a 1997 Monster....

...and I love this machine. The new Monsters aren't as simple and easy to service as the old ones. If you want a Monster, go for it!

I'd buy the new 20th anniversary model.

If the stock fueling troubles you, invest in the DP ECU and Termi exhaust and you should be fine.

Let us know.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,752
Love the old steel tank models. I'll take a 750 in red, please.

The new ones leave me cold. Plastic panels covering the frame, silly green goblin eyeholes in the tank, more plumbing.... I dunno. The Aprilia Shiver seems a bit more coherent to me than the new monsters. Uglier, but at least they aren't pretending it is pretty.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,079

I bought my '96 M-900 with 3000 miles on it. Now it shows an additional 25,000 . It always makes me smile and encourages me to wick it up.
I've seen '96 models for sale around $3000 . If you can find a good one , that hasn't been abused , get it.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 05:25 AM
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

I loved the ride of the 900M I test rode years ago, and love the look of most naked roadsters.
Why should I trust some annonymous poster with no reasons expressed? I understand that the seat on the new 796 and 1100 Evo are much more comfortable and don't crush you against the tank, and that was my only complaint, but I haven't ridden either of the new ones yet.

I had a M695 monster that I sold for a F650GS-T. I didn't like the range of the monster, I didn't like that I couldn't put much baggage on it (I paid the Termi tax and had the hi-set pipes) and after riding in the city found I vastly preferred the riding position of the R1200/F800. As my only bike it just didn't do it. However, as a second bike Id love to have another monster.

JoeDuck screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 10:20 PM Reason: pics r cool
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,507
Loved my S4R. My ace Ducati mechanic has owned it the last few years but it may be mine again soon.

I say if you want one then get it! Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490

Hopelessly impractical, tiny fuel range, poor running stock below 3500rpm, shockingly expensive to run, old-fashioned steering, not very comfortable stock, bits fall off ... need I go on.

Funny thing is, I can't get rid of it. Can't quite believe I'll get the same kick from anything else.

There are Monsters and Monsters tho. Which one attracted you? I'd imagine the new EVOs are superb solo all-rounders with question marks over only the stock suspension and the shortage of top-end zip (if that matters - I think they do about 90hp at the wheel). Steering updated, I believe (as in, quicker). Running costs too should be much more reasonable than on mine, with the 2V air-cooled motor and wet clutch.

One of the journos at Bike UK had an M1100s (the Ohlins version) for a year and raved about it. Even thought it was brilliant on long high-speed trips.

Funny thing is, that "traditional" naked riding stance, leaning a fair way forward onto low-ish 'bars, is a bit wearing around town but comes into its own on the highway. Cruising at 70-80mph you are beautifully balanced against the breeze. Can't see that from the new Hyper: you'd be relying on the 'screen.

Perhaps your dissuading poster thought the Monster would not answer your stated riding needs.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #14
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I understand the "Termi-tax" solution to low end snatchy throttle response, and am willing to pay it. I love low end power delivery of a twin, compared to multicylinder bikes. I've been thinking 1100 evo, but a 796 might be acceptable. I like big piston torque though, so that might not be enough. My local dealer has a nice used S4R, but I find the radiator hidious...like a marks-a-lot moustache on the Venus de Milo

My R12GS is my touring bike, so I don't need fuel range or luggage capacity. I want the bike entirely for "local" rides, as I'm surrounded by roads like this...

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,653
I love my '02 S4:

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote