User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #226
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,680
Thumb

I rode my Red K5 through the badlands about 5 years ago too shil. Been there done that.

Tried to sell mine too but I can't give it away so I'm using it as a drag bike.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #227
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
There are a lot of people that just don't "get" the SV1000. If it does not have a name like a "gixer" or a "busa" or a "ninja", they do not want it....and frankly, am perfectly fine with that.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #228
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
As I sad on a different forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod
The SV400 and SV650 started as "baby TLS" bikes. By the time Suzuki had gave up on the TL series as GSX-R alternatives the SV1000 came in to fill the void left by the TLS 1000. I think that the SV1K was set for failure from the start...

1. It looked exactly like the 650. Most bikes are purchased based on specsheets and looks. It looked like the SV650 and the spec sheet didn't quite compare to other bikes on its price range, like a GSX-R 600. Most squids went with the Gixxer and sensible riders with the 650.

2. It was expected to be a TLS 1000 replacement but it wasn't meant to be that. I really don't understand what was the market Suzuki was aiming for with the SV1K. In 2002 magazines compared the TL1000 with the Aprilia Tuono, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda's firechicken, etc. In 2003 the SV1000 was outclassed by all of them, it had less power than the TLS and cheaper suspension, it was only "friendlier".

Point No. 1 is the same problem the DL1000 had or still has, and that is why the new DL1000 is completely different from the DL650.

There is a market for a new SV1000, the old SV1000 wasn't a good fit for it, hope Suzuki figures it out.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #229
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Well, the 1st gen SV650( to 2002) was essential the same styling as the TL's, rounded body features and round tube style frame. With the SV1000 and the SV650, gen 2(2003 on), they used the same styling cues in the design of both, at the same time. They also went with the shaper edges body styling, like the GSXR's around that time,and even moreso these days.

The TL suspension issue caused many a highside and they wanted to get away from that and the stigma associated with it.

I agree that the SV1K is not a replacement for the TL series. If it was, they would have never detuned the motors and retooled the cases. The bike was basically to fill their twin cylinder motor niche, in a "sporty" onroad version, supposed to the offroad DL motorcycle.

The Sv1K is much more popular in Europe than the US. Like I said in my previous post, US buyers are sometimes not as educated as they should, and buy motorcycles based on marketing, instead of what they really need. Not everyone is a racer or trackday guy/girl, but they think they need a SS bike for the street. The statistics show sadly, that less should have bought an SS bike.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #230
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Bump

I setup the SV for drag racing last fall and it rained. So they cancelled the races.

So I got it back into street trim last fall. Just needs a rear tire here pretty soon. Good excuse to burn it up.

Got tags for it and insurance today ($77 a year for liability only!) so I'm taking it out again. Pics to follow...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #231
1 wheel peel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
.... Pics to follow...
So where day be?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #232
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Cool2 Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 wheel peel View Post
So where day be?
Finally got it out again this weekend...

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #233
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Finally got it out again this weekend...

Beautiful bike! Do you have a handlebar set up on there, or are you using clip ons?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #234
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oversized clamps drilled into the upper triple. Pro taper woods low handlebar in the gold color.

Not the safest thing since it will get F'd up in a crash, but I haven't crashed it yet in nearly 10 years.