User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #61
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
C650GT 3 Week Update

OK, after living with the C650GT for three weeks I have some observations that may help others in their buying decision. I bought a Platinum Bronze GT with the Highline package (heated seats, grips and a tire pressure monitoring system). A little history on me; I've been riding since 1980 and commuting daily year-round since '89. This is my 31st bike. I have over 350k miles just on the 9 BMWs I've owned so I'm secure in my motorcycling manhood. I first became involved in the superscooter scene about 2 1/2 years ago when I bought an '05 Yamaha Majesty to use for daily commuting. My other bike at the time was a Yamaha Roadliner which seemed just a bit too large and cumbersome for commuter duty. I soon found myself using the Majesty 80% of the time due to its nimble handling, great mpg, and convenient under-seat storage.
When it became clear that the BMW scooter was coming to America I decided to get one. I placed my deposit in April and waited impatiently through two launch delays. By the time the bike arrived it had high expectations which it must fulfill.

The Good:
1. Power
2. Design & Build Quality
3. Comfort
4. Ride Quality

The Bad:
1. High Center Tunnel
2. No 'Sport' Mode for Transmission
3. Engine Noise

Mounting the bike was the first challenge for someone with a 30" inseam. The center tunnel is quite high and my foot tends to scuff across the painted surface every time I get on. Mounting in the traditional motorcycle style is no easier since the passenger seat is about level with the seat on an R1200GS. Once aboard, you notice the roomy seating position and the abundance of legroom. The cockpit is typical touring BMW in instrumentation and switchgear layout. The heating of the seats and grips have low, high and automatic settings. The windshield is infinitely adjustable on the fly. The low position blocks wind blast up to the shoulders and leaves the helmet in clean air. The upright position leaves just a touch of buffeting at the top of my helmet but I can still see over the windshield. I'll probably experiment with aftermarket windshields when they become available.
When I first pulled away from the dealership I found myself wanting more acceleration for the first 40ft or so. The engine noise is much more noticeable than on the Majesty due to the engine placement between your feet inside the tunnel instead of under your butt as on the Majesty. The effect is reminiscent of driving a speedboat. Initial throttle application is accompanied by more motor noise than movement but when it "comes on plane" the transmission and engine start working together and then acceleration is impressive. The acceleration lag is not really noticeable once you're on the move and roll-on acceleration from 70-90 is quite brisk when needed. This bike was designed to eat serious miles.
Another difference between the GT and the Majesty is the quality of suspension. Potholes that once rattled my teeth are now a non-issue. Several roads in the area that lead to great twisties are heaved by tree roots growing under them. The condition of the approach roads made the twisties beyond not worth the hassle on the Majesty but are a small price to pay with the ride of the GT. In the twisties the GT rides like a motorcycle (planted and smooth) than a scooter (nimble and darty). On the highway I have noticed the GT is less susceptible to cross winds and turbulence when passing tractor-trailers.
In summary, I have quit thinking of the GT as an oversized scooter. A more accurate description of its design and function would be of a midsized version of the K1600GT. If you are expecting a strictly scooter experience you will be disappointed by its more substantial feel. If you are looking for something with the convenience and practicality of a scooter plus the addition of serious touring potential you'll find no better vehicle available today.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #62
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Excellent report, Rugby4life. I presently ride a GL1800, but see a BMW Scooter in my future, probably one or two years. Thanks much.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,693
Good write up Rugby.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #64
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Good write up Rugby.
Thanks but if SOMEONE would have had his helmet with him Wed night (I.e. actually rode their bike to the meeting) SOMEONE could have found out for himself. Ahem, Ahem
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #65
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Test rode a GT in long beach yesterday, twist throttle kinda sounds like a lawnmower, after that hang on, pushed 80 on 405fwy. Had a lot more in it handles sweet
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #66
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Thanks but if SOMEONE would have had his helmet with him Wed night (I.e. actually rode their bike to the meeting) SOMEONE could have found out for himself. Ahem, Ahem
I rode to work Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday if that counts for anything.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #67
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
Test rode a GT in long beach yesterday, twist throttle kinda sounds like a lawnmower, after that hang on, pushed 80 on 405fwy. Had a lot more in it handles sweet
I think it sounds more like an outboard motor. Of course the sound may be a BMW marketing tool to sell more Akrapovic mufflers.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #68
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
There's a new C650GT owners post over at maxi-scoots.com might be interesting reading to some here...
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #69
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Guess wife likes lawn mowers we now have a red 650gt, hope I can use it
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #70
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
BMW. So easy to appreciate, so difficult to pay for.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #71
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

1st Mod

I just added my first farkle to the bike to help with deer detection duties, http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/91231.htm

I don't think the pictures do the difference justice. Before:

After:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #72
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Those comparison photos of the driving lights look great. I say, one can never have enough light. Question: were they easy to install? What was required to complete the installation and where have you taken the current from to power them up and how are they switched with regards to the standard headlights vs riding lights?
Nice work
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #73
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Those comparison photos of the driving lights look great. I say, one can never have enough light. Question: were they easy to install? What was required to complete the installation and where have you taken the current from to power them up and how are they switched with regards to the standard headlights vs riding lights?
Nice work
The install was a breeze. I just removed the package from the underseat storage and handed them to the service tech during my (postponed) initial service. The mounts, wiring, fuses and switches came with the package. I debated on wiring them with the high beam but as bright as they are, I didn't want to lose the ability to flash a warning to others without giving them permanent retinal damage. One switch controls both lights and is mounted on the left dash in front of the left grip. The power is taken straight from the battery and ignition switch and fused in-line. i am quite pleased but will continue to experiment with the aim of the lights to get the best coverage.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #74
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
There is a sticky topic for BMW scooters now on BMWMOA.org and it's starting to collect some interesting information. You guys who have bought them might find some useful info there, plus it's a pretty interesting forum in general. They are expecting to have a separate BMW scooter forum there sometime soon.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #75
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
There is a sticky topic for BMW scooters now on BMWMOA.org and it's starting to collect some interesting information. You guys who have bought them might find some useful info there, plus it's a pretty interesting forum in general. They are expecting to have a separate BMW scooter forum there sometime soon.
I went over there and lurked for a while. There's some good info there but a couple of the posters are seriously anal-retentive. I think I'll spend my time in ADV land where things are a little more laid back.