Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #121
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,141
I'm not sure I like the taller, squishy footpeg rubbers. The point, I think, was isolation from engine vibration, but I don't think the FJR really needs that. (If it does, it probably needs a TB sync.) Oh yeah- smoother than my Gen I even after a TB Sync. Anyway, I like firm contact with the bike.

Your thumbs will need to be re-educated, especially your left thumb, which controls turn signals, horn, cruise control on/off and set/- resume/+ and the rocker that controls windshield, heated grips, and info displays based on which option is selected by your left index finger.

The headlight rocker is High/Low/Flash.

The "kill switch" is now Off/Run/START. The D-Mode switch is below that, and hazard flashers below that.

A friend with an Gen II says the seat is the same height as his, but it's taller than my stock Gen I. (About the same as my Gen I is, with a Russel Day Long and a stiffer shock that raised the bike about an inch.)

I think there are actually FIVE trip meters. The extra three are designed to be used to track maintenance intervals- they're labeled OIL, FREE-1 and FREE-2. I thought they would turn an indicator on, but right now they all read the bike's current mileage, so I think they're actually mile counters.

Others have commented that the exhaust is deeper sounding than they expected. I've got StainTunes on my Gen I, so I don't have a solid reference point for "stock"- but it sounds a lot like the StainTunes (which will get moved over if they fit).

Dash illumination can be adjusted, but it doesn't control the non-LCD indicator lights- N, ABS, TCS, CC & Set, Hi-beam- which are too bright at night.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #122
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Thanks for the review.... and hope to see more as you build miles.

Haven't considered going this "heavy" but may put this on the list to consider.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #123
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I like the sound of the customizable dash displays.

Do you know what the engine changes between sport/touring modes? I was excited when I heard about it on the new ZX14, but disappointed when I found it only cut ignition timing, so the only benefit was less power !?!? I'd want it to run a leaner map for better MPGs to go with the less power. On that, have you ridden enough to find MPG?

The kill switch has a 'start' position? Do that mean it's got just a transponder for the key?
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #124
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,522
Good stuff regarding the new bike. Can't believe you guys have got them so quick.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #125
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I like the sound of the customizable dash displays.

Do you know what the engine changes between sport/touring modes? I was excited when I heard about it on the new ZX14, but disappointed when I found it only cut ignition timing, so the only benefit was less power !?!? I'd want it to run a leaner map for better MPGs to go with the less power. On that, have you ridden enough to find MPG?

The kill switch has a 'start' position? Do that mean it's got just a transponder for the key?
The Touring and Sport modes provide the full HP, but throttle response is less aggressive in Touring mode.

The kill switch does away with a separate starter switch. Toggle it all the way up, it kills the engine, push it all the way down, you start the engine. No transponder key like on the C14.

The owner's manual for the 2013 FJR is available on the Yamaha site for download.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #126
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The Touring and Sport modes provide the full HP, but throttle response is less aggressive in Touring mode.

The kill switch does away with a separate starter switch. Toggle it all the way up, it kills the engine, push it all the way down, you start the engine.
The START position is momentary, just like a starter button. The headlight switch on the other side is the same deal- High/Low/PASS, with PASS being a momentary (it doesn't stay when you let go of it.)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #127
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,914
The V-Strom had the headlight flasher switch.
Damn. That's one thing I really wish my ancient (2012) FJR had. I really liked it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #128
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Wee's rule...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #129
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The START position is momentary, just like a starter button. The headlight switch on the other side is the same deal- High/Low/PASS, with PASS being a momentary (it doesn't stay when you let go of it.)
Same type of switch used on the new gen of switches on newer BMW's. I like that, 1 switch to start and stop instead of 2 separate switches.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #130
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Start switch makes sense.

My triumph has a 'pass' button which flashes the high beams.

I think for a road bike, that type of sport/tour mode is pretty pointless. Maybe just my opinion. Unless it's getting me better MPG's, I'd leave it in sport 100% of the time, and just control the throttle myself. These bikes have a lot of power, but it's not like they are anywhere near uncontrollable where I'd want a neutered mode. Maybe the less throttle response does equal better mpg? does it just map part throttle leaner in tour mode, but keep full power for wide open?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #131
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

speaking of fuel economy, I just checked the spec online, 36?? compared to the 2012's 39?.... I know real world is usually much different, so we'll have to see. My dad would get 40 or so around town, and 50 on highway/trips with his 07.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #132
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,862
Quote:
I think for a road bike, that type of sport/tour mode is pretty pointless. Maybe just my opinion. Unless it's getting me better MPG's, I'd leave it in sport 100% of the time, and just control the throttle myself. These bikes have a lot of power, but it's not like they are anywhere near uncontrollable where I'd want a neutered mode.
That's what I thought too, until I tried a bike with it, and it only had 92 hp.

Think of it more as like you're riding your bike, whatever the bike is, in
Touring mode, and you get the extra snappy Sport mode and more
aggressive fueling.

Heck, there's even 200cc scooters now with that stuff (called sport and
eco mode on Scarabeo 200).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #133
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
. Maybe the less throttle response does equal better mpg? does it just map part throttle leaner in tour mode, but keep full power for wide open?
Think of Touring mode as rain mode.. One tends to be less abrupt, and less aggressive with the throttle when the roads are wet, mind you this bike now has traction control, I'd use the T mode in the rain or maybe when riding around town, and S mode when sport touring. But then again, I've not ridden one so we'll see..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #134
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Start switch makes sense.

My triumph has a 'pass' button which flashes the high beams.
That's the button that toggles which of three functions (info displays, heated grips, windshield) are controlled by what was the windshield up/down switch.

As I said, your thumbs and left index finger will need some re-educatin'.

Personally- I'd have rather put the menu button somewhere else and retain flash-to-pass where everyone expects it to be. Because now I'm going to spend a lot of time pissin' off other drivers when I ride any other bike I own- even the KLR has aftermarket switchgeear with a flash-to-pass. trigger.

Many years ago, the feds made standards for all the basic stuff (somehow, some HDs and some BMWs are different?); would seem reasonable to have standards for the more complicated controls.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #135
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
speaking of fuel economy, I just checked the spec online, 36?? compared to the 2012's 39?.... I know real world is usually much different, so we'll have to see. My dad would get 40 or so around town, and 50 on highway/trips with his 07.
I get 40/50 with the '04. I would hope this can beat that, unless that's a worst-case number, flogging it in Sport mode for an entire tank- which is unrealistic riding for this class of bike.