ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #1786
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN View Post
Looking at the places where the official price for the 1190 Adventure has been released (UK, Eu, US) all of them seem to have had a 25-30% hike over the previous 990 model.

Following that (possibly faulty) logic and bearing in mind that the current retail for a 990 in Aus, on Bikesales.com.au is around the A$22,000 are we looking at A$28,000+ for an 1190 Adventure, before even adding any options?

I have a deposit down for an 1190 Adventure but if the price is up there are at that kind of level, i.e. way over A$30,000 when you have added panniers and an Akrapovic pipe then I will probably have to pull out.

I love the bike and I really, really want one but KTM will need to be vary careful with their pricing if they are to sell many of these in Oz. Having said that, it maybe that they will be like a Ferrari in that they will only ever import 1 less than they can sell at an inflated price and there will be enough people prepared to pay north of 30K to justify the pricing.

Here's hoping that they price them to compete and not as a niche player for those with big money. The other problem with such a big hike if it happens is that they risk alienating the 990 fans who will be looking to upgrade/buy a new bike.

Thoughts from the floor?

P.S. I am aware that is not a straight read across in pricing policy from the RoW to Aus and that factors such as import duties and transportation costs vary everywhere but you would have thought that with the strength of the A$ right now they could afford to keep the price down and still make a good profit. Here's hoping....

Why don't you just wait for an actual announcement instead of more speculation? There is not even a US pricing yet, and I don't think I have seen a 25-30% in ANY country?
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #1787
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 10,300
Pricing is becoming this season's "oil" discussion
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #1788
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Pricing is becoming this season's "oil" discussion
Much worse, it's rather like trying to predict the price of a specific oil product in foreign markets by correlating it with countries that have completely different tax regulations, F/X rate developments, demand/supply, competition etc.

Just wait for a simple announcement before getting your panties in a bunch, it's not like your opinion and guesses are going to influence the outcome one little bit.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #1789
TCN
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia
Oddometer: 7
Pissed Price In Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Why don't you just wait for an actual announcement instead of more speculation? There is not even a US pricing yet, and I don't think I have seen a 25-30% in ANY country?
Thanks for your considered and polite reply LukasM. If you don't have anything interesting to say then why don't you keep your rude trap shut? I am new to this forum and website but I would have thought that old hands like yourself could make the effort to be welcoming rather than disdainful to people like me. Where I come from bikers stick together.

I think I asked a polite question and for some thoughts from the forum you seem to be saying that I have no right to ask a question unless it conforms to what you believe is appropriate on the forum. Perhaps we should send our questions to the Ministry of LukasM (MiLk) for approval before putting them on the forum?

If you believe that what I said is inaccurate then why is the price for the current 990 in the UK around 10,000 pounds and the price for the 1190 around 12,500 pounds (from KTMs website no less). Guess what, that is 25%! Thanks for putting ANY in CAPITALS by the way, much clearer to UNDERSTAND. If you bother to read my post you will note that I have a deposit down for an 1190 but I am concerned about the price, is this such a terrible issue for me to bring up? Are we only allowed to discuss with 100% of the facts at hand?

These forums are for discussion and opinion not a place to come to be scolded by 'LukasM' from Vienna. Isn't part of the point of a forum 'Speculation'?

Anybody got a worthwhile thoughts to add about my original question?

TCN screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:20 AM
TCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #1790
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN View Post
Thanks for your considered and polite reply LukasM. If you don't have anything interesting to say then why don't you keep your rude trap shut? I am new to this forum and website but I would have thought that old hands like yourself could make the effort to be welcoming rather than disdainful to people like me. Where I come from bikers stick together.

I think I asked a polite question and for some thoughts from the forum you seem to be saying that I have no right to ask a question unless it conforms to what you believe is appropriate on the forum. Perhaps we should send our questions to the Ministry of LukasM (MiLk) for approval before putting them on the forum?

If you believe that what I said is inaccurate then why is the price for the current 990 in the UK around 10,000 pounds and the price for the 1190 around 12,500 pounds (from KTMs website no less). Guess what, that is 25%! Thanks for putting ANY in CAPITALS buy the way, much clearer to UNDERSTAND. If you bother to read my post you will note that I have a deposit down for an 1190 but I am concerned about the price, is this such a terrible issue for me to bring up? Are we only allowed to discuss with 100% of the facts at hand?

These forums are for discussion and opinion not a place to come to be scolded by 'LukasM' from Vienna. Isn't part of the point of a forum 'Speculation'?

Anybody got a worthwhile thoughts to add about my original question?
Dude, get some thicker skin, this is just the internet. Don't take me or anybody else you meet too seriously.

The UK price comparison is irrelevant because they are blowing them out to clear out the inventory. Price difference in Austria is low single digit.

In the end it's all useless speculation based on many unpredictable variables and you have absolutely no influence on the outcome, so why not just wait for the announcement?
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:30 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #1791
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Dude, get some thicker skin, this is just the internet.
My new favorite advrider quote.
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #1792
TCN
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Dude, get some thicker skin, this is just the internet. Don't take me or anybody else you meet too seriously.

The UK price comparison is irrelevant because they are blowing them out to clear out the inventory. Price difference in Austria is low single digit.

In the end it's all useless speculation and you have absolutely no influence on the outcome, so why not just wait for the announcement?
Thanks, Dude. I'll go out and get some thicker skin. I haven't 'meet' you by the way, this is the internet don't forget. Thing is, because this is the internet (thanks for explaining that, us uneducated types are still amazed by radio), you know nothing about me so your assessment of the 'thickness' of my skin is based on my unhappy reply to your arrogant slap down of the new boy. Most people who know me would say that I have the hide of a Rhino but also I quite like people to make the effort to be civil because it really isn't difficult....... What you seem to be saying is that because this is the internet you can be a bit of a dick? Fair enough. I think that because this is the internet and this is a forum for bikers, by bikers, about bikes there is nothing wrong with being polite to your fellow bikers. If my question or post is a waste of time then don't bother wasting your self-importance trashing it, just ignore it. Simple. Or perhaps you could be polite and use the 2 sentences you bothered to give me to offer up something interesting, useful or constructive.

Anyway, to discuss the second half of your post which was actually useful, I am really pleased that you have a low single digit price difference in Austria. That is interesting and useful information to me and I appreciate it, also it does give me hope, especially as I mentioned before the strong A$ should help KTM make solid profits without big price hikes. I take your point about the UK but I do believe that historically the 990 price has been around 10K in the UK for a while. As a Brit who lives in the middle-east and Australia I don't get home much so I may well be out of date with that.

Speculation can be interesting, in my opinion; but I am also well aware, of course, that discussing it will have no effect on the outcome. However, that is like saying we can't discuss next years Champions League because it will have no effect on the outcome.
TCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #1793
adrien mototribu
adrien
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 177
KTM Adventure 2013 all HR pics ... and all historical pics off all KTM Adventure



































__________________
Husaberg FS 570 - Suzuki 400 DRZ - Yamaha 250 TY
adrien mototribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #1794
Anders J.
SUPERenduro
 
Anders J.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 29
Prices in Sweden:
1190 Adventure R: SEK 139 900 (USD 19 886).
1190 Adventure: SEK 138 900 (USD 19 744).

As a comparison the price of the 990 Adv R at the same dealer was SEK 137 900.

Prices differ from country to country and taxes are different etc., but it seems that KTM hasn´t priced the 1190 much higher than the 990 - at least here.
I think my Husaberg 570 needs a friend in the garage...
Anders J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #1795
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN View Post
Thanks, Dude. I'll go out and get some thicker skin. I haven't 'meet' you by the way, this is the internet don't forget. Thing is, because this is the internet (thanks for explaining that, us uneducated types are still amazed by radio), you know nothing about me so your assessment of the 'thickness' of my skin is based on my unhappy reply to your arrogant slap down of the new boy. Most people who know me would say that I have the hide of a Rhino but also I quite like people to make the effort to be civil because it really isn't difficult....... What you seem to be saying is that because this is the internet you can be a bit of a dick? Fair enough. I think that because this is the internet and this is a forum for bikers, by bikers, about bikes there is nothing wrong with being polite to your fellow bikers. If my question or post is a waste of time then don't bother wasting your self-importance trashing it, just ignore it. Simple. Or perhaps you could be polite and use the 2 sentences you bothered to give me to offer up something interesting, useful or constructive.

Anyway, to discuss the second half of your post which was actually useful, I am really pleased that you have a low single digit price difference in Austria. That is interesting and useful information to me and I appreciate it, also it does give me hope, especially as I mentioned before the strong A$ should help KTM make solid profits without big price hikes. I take your point about the UK but I do believe that historically the 990 price has been around 10K in the UK for a while. As a Brit who lives in the middle-east and Australia I don't get home much so I may well be out of date with that.

Speculation can be interesting, in my opinion; but I am also well aware, of course, that discussing it will have no effect on the outcome. However, that is like saying we can't discuss next years Champions League because it will have no effect on the outcome.
It's ok bro (do you like that better than dude ), if you really think that you are going to get something out of more speculation then so be it, even if I don't agree.

So speculate away, I've got a really important meeting to attend at the MiLk now anyway....

PS: Just so you see that I'm not always a dick, here are some ACTUAL (note the capitals!) prices in Austria that I posted earlier in the thread:

990 A: €15,998
990 R: €15,998
1190 A: €16,398 +2.5%
1190 R: €17,398 +8.7%

Not so terrible, eh?
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #1796
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN View Post
Thanks, Dude. I'll go out and get some thicker skin. I haven't 'meet' you by the way, this is the internet don't forget. Thing is, because this is the internet (thanks for explaining that, us uneducated types are still amazed by radio), you know nothing about me so your assessment of the 'thickness' of my skin is based on my unhappy reply to your arrogant slap down of the new boy. Most people who know me would say that I have the hide of a Rhino but also I quite like people to make the effort to be civil because it really isn't difficult....... What you seem to be saying is that because this is the internet you can be a bit of a dick? Fair enough. I think that because this is the internet and this is a forum for bikers, by bikers, about bikes there is nothing wrong with being polite to your fellow bikers. If my question or post is a waste of time then don't bother wasting your self-importance trashing it, just ignore it. Simple. Or perhaps you could be polite and use the 2 sentences you bothered to give me to offer up something interesting, useful or constructive.

Anyway, to discuss the second half of your post which was actually useful, I am really pleased that you have a low single digit price difference in Austria. That is interesting and useful information to me and I appreciate it, also it does give me hope, especially as I mentioned before the strong A$ should help KTM make solid profits without big price hikes. I take your point about the UK but I do believe that historically the 990 price has been around 10K in the UK for a while. As a Brit who lives in the middle-east and Australia I don't get home much so I may well be out of date with that.

Speculation can be interesting, in my opinion; but I am also well aware, of course, that discussing it will have no effect on the outcome. However, that is like saying we can't discuss next years Champions League because it will have no effect on the outcome.
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #1797
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

PS: Just so you see that I'm not always a dick, here are some ACTUAL (note the capitals!) prices in Austria that I posted earlier in the thread:

990 A: €15,998
990 R: €15,998
1190 A: €16,398 +2.5%
1190 R: €17,398 +8.7%

Not so terrible, eh?
The global economy is in the crapper, private sector incomes are way down, taxes are exploding and you think RAISING (I like capitals too! ) the price is no problem?!?

I beg to differ sir!

You can apologize to me when we meet while I'm out riding my Adventure R in 2014!
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1798
TCN
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders J. View Post
Prices in Sweden:
1190 Adventure R: SEK 139 900 (USD 19 886).
1190 Adventure: SEK 138 900 (USD 19 744).

As a comparison the price of the 990 Adv R at the same dealer was SEK 137 900.

Prices differ from country to country and taxes are different etc., but it seems that KTM hasn´t priced the 1190 much higher than the 990 - at least here.
I think my Husaberg 570 needs a friend in the garage...
Thanks Anders for the info. Thanks also to LukasM for the prices in Austria. I'm hoping that my previous pessimism was misplaced and I will be getting an 1190 friend for my 450 EXC and SL Falco. Sadly I have a suspicion that the wife may force me to let one of them go if there is a new large KTM coming to the garage......Anyone in Oz want to buy an Aprilia SL Falco?
TCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #1799
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN View Post
Thanks Anders for the info. Thanks also to LukasM for the prices in Austria. I'm hoping that my previous pessimism was misplaced and I will be getting an 1190 friend for my 450 EXC and SL Falco. Sadly I have a suspicion that the wife may force me to let one of them go if there is a new large KTM coming to the garage......Anyone in Oz want to buy an Aprilia SL Falco?


Keep the Falco.....lose the wife.....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #1800
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
The global economy is in the crapper, private sector incomes are way down, taxes are exploding and you think RAISING (I like capitals too! ) the price is no problem?!?

I beg to differ sir!

You can apologize to me when we meet while I'm out riding my Adventure R in 2014!
I see what you are saying, but if BMW can sell 5-10 times as many R1200GSs depending on the market, I think KTM made the right move by changing their big twin to compete more directly with it, even if the price went up a bit.

Lots of riders who own big twins also own more than one bike, cars, and way too much other shit they could give up before letting a couple of % higher price stop them from buying a 150 HP big enduro bike.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014