Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #31
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
The words for today are "hot and dusty". Left our room in good hands this morning.

This guy was hanging out in the eave spout outside our room.
First stop was the banco to change some money. Got there a little early so we checked out the beach.

After the banco and breakfast we headed to Montezuma. I cant really say we were off roading since this is what passes for a road down here.

Of course the pictures don't do it justice.
Met this guy on the way but this hill is steeper than it looks so I wasn't going to stop to chat.

Had some great views once we got up top.

And I love the trees down here.

While we were stopped for these pictures a younger couple came by on a 4 wheeler. They stopped for a minute and told us at first they thought we were the police. We'll run into them later. Once we were down towards the coast we ran into some actual road work.

Even before the repairs the road looked pretty good compared to what we had just road. There was a pretty nice house in that area, maybe someone with a little pull. Eventually found the coast and headed towards Montezuma.

Montezuma really didn't impress us much so we went to see the waterfalls. This is when we ran into the 4 wheeler couple again. They said they had a guide coming so we just headed back towards the falls.

On our way back we ran into a guy I think was named San and he asked if we wanted a guide. Wouldn't say how much just that he worked for tips. Didn't speak much english tho. What the hell we said ok and off we went.

Check out the guy diving on the right side of the pix. Our guide dove later but I didn't get a very good shot. If you look in the waterfall at the whitest part you can see an image that resembles a person. I didn't see it at first but Tammy pointed it out. Good luck seeing it. San kept wanting to take pictures of us so we finally let him. This is me and the misses.

When we were leaving to go to the upper falls we ran into our 4 wheeler friends. Their guide was a no show and when we said where we were headed they joined us. Now getting to the upper falls is no easy task. This is pretty much what all the trail looked like.

By the way the third one in line from the top is the other guys wife. No good pictures of her and it's a good thing. I would have lost you guys with short attention spans. Once up top our guide showed off some more of his diving skills. I think he wanted to impress us so he could charge more.

This is our gang minus the 4 wheeler couple (never got their name).

Now let me show you a picture of his helper Lola. And then I'll tell you why.

Once we got back down to the bike we started to settle up. I gave him about 8 to 10 bucks and the other couple were going to do the same. When I handed him our share I could see he expected more. He finally said a guide gets 10mil colons, or just over 20 bucks. I went ahead and paid him and the other couple asked it that covered all of us. He didn't say anything so they gave hime some more. Not as much as us but then he was real happy. Back when he told me 10mil he said 6 for him and 4 for Lola. I really didn't mind the price and it was nice to have someone show us around but I wont hire another guide until I get the price first.
Next was lunch in Montezuma, our first that was less than great. Trying to leave town was another story. When we came in for lunch they had the bridge closed due to road work on the other side. No problem for a bike. When we left they had the whole road torn up so even a bike couldn't get through. We had to go out another way and go into Santa Teresa the way we did the day before.

Tomorrow we have a long ride and I'm going to take as many back roads as I can. Going to make for a long day but when we get to St Elena it should be cooler.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #32
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
If you can, posting the prices of some of the meals and rooms and such would be helpful to those of us thinking about visiting this country.

The hotels and bike came as a package but I believe from what I've seen and what I've read on other ride reports you can get a nice hotel for around 35 and up a night. For food it's best to eat at sodas. A great lunch and plenty of it will cost around 10 to 15 bucks. In an average resturaunt meals are a little pricier, maybe around 20 to 25 bucks. Nice hotel resturaunts you're looking at 40 to 50 bucks. And the sodas have some of the best food. Gas is more here than home and I don't drink beer so I cant help you there.

Really you can travel here for pretty cheap if you dont expect anything fancy. I'd say we're probibly somewhere in the middle on our budget.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

We're leaving fairly early tomorrow and heading to St Elena via the bridge. Hope to hit some back roads early before it gets too hot. From St Elena our next stop is just over to the Arenal Volcano area. That should be a short day of riding. Then the third day we have to have the bike back by 2:00 and catch a shuttle to Playa Conchal for 5 days of R&R. Momma says when we get there we're staying put. Hmmm a scooter for a couple days couldn't hurt, could it.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Even before the repairs the road looked pretty good compared to what we had just road. There was a pretty nice house in that area, maybe someone with a little pull. Eventually found the coast and headed towards Montezuma.
I was told that Mel Gibson has a house up there, he sounds like a howler monkey.
Pura vida mae!
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
I was told that Mel Gibson has a house up there, he sounds like a howler monkey.
Pura vida mae!

riderdonald,

Really enjoying the ride report and pictures; it seems you and your wife are having a nice time in Costa Rica. Looking forward to the next installment!

junglemototours - I believe Mel Gibson's house overlooks Playa Barrigona, about 12km north of Samara beach. I rode up the beach at low tide with some locals back in March and they pointed out his compound.

Pura Vida,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #36
junglemototours
trailplug

Correct, he had/has 40 hectares near Nosara, main compound/finca. Last I heard he was selling because he wore out his welcome? He has another private house above Mal Pais according to mi amigo Miguel the dentist who rents KTM 625's at St Teresa....

Enjoying the pictures, I can hardly wait to get back down there.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Subscribed! Going down to CR in March and need to start planning!
VFR800 VTEC
Daytona 675
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Early start today. Breakfast at the bakery and then off to hit some back roads. Already hot at 7:00 am.

This is the main street (only street) in town. To the north is Santa Teresa and to the south is Mal Pais. Dust control is a garden hose. It helps a little. Back track a little and catch the road to Rio Negro. Typical gravel road but not as rough as others. When I say rough I mean bounce the shit out of you no matter how fast or slow you go.. Yesterdays road to Montezuma was more technical which I prefer. Anyway along the road we ran into our first cowboy.

Finally turned onto a single lane road and the riding got better.

Finally got to our first river crossing.

Now guys this is where you need your wife along.

I offered but she went. When she was about half way accross I remembered those crocs we saw a couple days before. Sure would have missed her.

Once on the other side it was easy to see the bottom and see the best line. After this crossing they all were smaller but there must have been about ten all together. Great fun and great road.

As we pulled up to an entersection where we needed to turn for Zopote another bike came up from behind. I knew which way to go but he wanted to give his assistance. Turns out he lived in South Dakota for 6 months as an exchange student once. Nice guy and he sugested we catch the main highway at Jaricaol. He foolwed us for awhile until we stopped for pictures.

There he goes.

Once on the highway it was mostly farm country but still great scenery. At one point we stopped for construction work and they put Tammy to work. We has to carry the flag to the other end so they knew we were the last vehicle. Later at another construction site while stopped one by one guys came out of the ditch at the side of the road trying to sell snacks and drinks. Must have been about six of em.

This is the bridge that crosses the northern end of the Golf of Nicoya. After that is was a short ride to the Pan American highway and down to 145 and headed to Monteverde for the night. After a few km on 145 we passed through a town and started climbing into the cloud forest. The road starts out blacktop and extremely windy. I was having so much fun it was hard to stop for pictures and when I did it was usually sudden and poor Tammy kept head butting me. Sorry dear. So far this is the best scenery I've seen in ages. I'm tempted not to post the pictures just so you all have to come see it yourself. Anyway here they are.

After awhile the road turned to dirt and rocks and the going slowed down quite a bit. It seemed like forever to go a few kilometers but the views were great so it wasn't bad. Once in Monteverde we found our hotel, freshened up and headed for lunch. This resteraunt will look familar to anyone who has read a few RRs from CR.

After lunch we headed for the coffee plantation tour. Found out it was 30 bucks a piece and if I'm spending 60 bucks for coffee it's going to be on coffee I can drink. Headed back tyo the hotel instead and signed up for a nught hike to see nocturnal critters. Heres just a few.

Yellow sided pit viper.

Sorry cant remeber thid guys name but cool looking bird.

Great tour and our guide was great also.

Short ride tomorrow around the lake to La Fortuna and the Arenal Volcano so we're going take our time getting going tomorrow. Hope it's clear so we can see the sucker. It's cooler here than on the Pacific side and it's rained some. So far weathers been ok, hope it holds out a few more days.

See ya tomorrow.

Pura Vida
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #39
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Rainy here this morning but then we are in the cloud forest. Hope it clears in a bit or at least once we get closer to the lake. Short day so no hurry getting outta town.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #40
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Just checked my email and this is from The Clymb, an outdoor site I belong to.

Develop your surfing skills in the warm waters surrounding Santa Teresa, Costa Rica

By the way most of the surfer girls I saw there I wanted to give them a bath and wash their hair. Hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy but at least be clean.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
Stromius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Pura Vida! Costa Rica is great. Did zipline tours in La Fortuna last I was there in 08. $30 or so included all day horseback riding. Heading to Manuel Antonio Park? How about the coast (Tamarindo etc)?

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Woke up to a fine but steady rain this morning but since it should be a short day no big hurry. We did get loaded up fairly early in case we got a break in the weather.

It's starting to let up. We head for Tiliran and at first the roads were wet but not too bad.

The farther we went the worse they got and the rains came and went all the way.

Then they reallt got nasty.

On hills like this one coming up momentum is your friend. But watch for the work vehicles, trucks, grader, and roller. Wasn't fun meeting them on an uphill, close quarters.

Tammy took all the road shots. She was braver than me not holding on. During the worse parts I had her put away the camera.

There was a few times we stopped for pictures, heres some shots.

In Tiliran we had trouble finding the route to La Fortuna but the firts guy I asked got us there. It had stopped raining and things were looking up. Found a place to stop for coffee and a smoothie.

The guy who waited on us had the book store in here and was fron Pennsylvania and had been here 4 years. Only been back to the states once.

A shot of the lake.

While we were here it rained pretty hard and then let up. Just after we got on our way it started again and rained pretty much all the way to our hotel. A shot of the lane to our cottage. Cool place.

A couple shots of Arenal Volcano.

Don't think I'll get a better shot since it's been pissing down the rain for the last few hours. Don't even want to go outside to go to dinner. Room Service. Hoping for better weather tomorrow for the ride back to San Jose. If the weather sucks I don't think you'll get any pictures but I'll let you know how or ride was.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #43
anjin
painted side up

Oddometer: 85
Rental company

Read the whole thread, but couldn't find name of your rental outfit. Sounds like a great trip, was in CR last march (not by bike) and went to some of the same areas. Wonderful country and people. Love to do it again by bike. Ride safe
anjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #44
junglemototours
trailplug

Quote:
our cottage. Cool place
What's the name?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
riderddonald OP
Lost rider