Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #1951
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
x2 ! Love that bike.
Thanks, guys. It's a cool, fun old bike, for sure, in whatever configuration it's in at the moment...

83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1952
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I would say that stopping distance from a given speed can be measured, but even then tires, road surface, and road conditions are all variables. Brakes can be grabbier than I like. Brakes can fade. Brakes can require more effort. Braking can be non-linear.

So while shortest stopping distance from a given speed is "objective", that is just the beginning. There are important "feel" considerations beyond that. As an example, brakes suitable for racing would probably not please me on the street even though they would be objectively "better".
Of course there are other factors in stopping distance besides the brakes on a vehicle. And we are not talking about brakes for racing here.

I though the question was about brakes on a particular motorcycle.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1953
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
I think this person is looking at lowered Sportsters anyway. The Superlow is the first HD that comes stock with radial tires. Also the big tank. The SL can improve with longer shocks and fork tubes like the other models. I also stated that the XL883R and XL1200R models would be my choice in the used market. Both have better cornering clearance and dual front disk brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This makes no sense to me. You are saying "take a look at the "Superlow" that has 24.7 lean to the right and 24.4 to the left then in the next setence you state that the 48 (XL1200X) and the Nightster (XL1200N) throw sparks.

The XL1200X 48 has 27.8 right lean (deg) / 26.1 Left
The XL1200N Nightster has 29 degree right and 30 Left available lean.
kk

STAY away from the Super Low IMO. It is a bike that should not be marketed to new riders.

The XL883N has a seat that is only .5 inches taller and it actually turns!
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #1954
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
Thanks, guys. It's a cool, fun old bike, for sure, in whatever configuration it's in at the moment...

That is what I love about Sportsters. Cruiser, cafe, bobber, chopper, flat tracker, tourer. You can make it whatever you want.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #1955
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Beauty!! My 1984 was actually called the XLX 61 and had no tach. Exhaust was flat black as were the handlebars. It was a stripped down model--just the way I like them.
Had three problems. First, it would ping going uphill on a hot day even running premium. Second, the tank rusted through after maybe two years. Three, it broke the clutch throwout mechanism under the left side engine cover. The last was fixed under warranty. That darn 1000cc Sportster gave me 66 mpg time after time commuting from Bonney Lake, Wa. to Seattle.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #1956
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
That is what I love about Sportsters. Cruiser, cafe, bobber, chopper, flat tracker, tourer. You can make it whatever you want.
Don't forget adventure tourer, check out "The Project That Should'nt be", Jimmy the Hog, and RTW Doug in these forums.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #1957
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Don't forget adventure tourer, check out "The Project That Should'nt be", Jimmy the Hog, and RTW Doug in these forums.
Rob

RTW Doug's last trip was what inspired me to renew my relationship with the Sportster.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #1958
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Beauty!! My 1984 was actually called the XLX 61 and had no tach. Exhaust was flat black as were the handlebars. It was a stripped down model--just the way I like them.
Had three problems. First, it would ping going uphill on a hot day even running premium. Second, the tank rusted through after maybe two years. Three, it broke the clutch throwout mechanism under the left side engine cover. The last was fixed under warranty. That darn 1000cc Sportster gave me 66 mpg time after time commuting from Bonney Lake, Wa. to Seattle.
I had the same model...XLX-61.When I speak of that bike,folks say I'm lying about the gas mileage you quoted....i cannot explain why the XLX-61 gave such great gas mileage,but it did!.I had no problems with rust or mech's braking though!....wish I still had that bike!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #1959
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,774

Buell motor and suspension /wheels /brakes. Single tube frame. As in a single piece of tubeing.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #1960
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
I just peed.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1961
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Buell motor and suspension /wheels /brakes. Single tube frame. As in a single piece of tubeing.

I like it!

It has a back to basics styling that I found so appealing about my S1

Not so sure about a sportbike with a single tube backbone frame though.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #1962
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I like it!

It has a back to basics styling that I found so appealing about my S1

Not so sure about a sportbike with a single tube backbone frame though.

Nice S1! I think a tuber Buell is going to be my next bike, if the planets align. Everything about 'em hits all the right notes for me.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #1963
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Nice S1! I think a tuber Buell is going to be my next bike, if the planets align. Everything about 'em hits all the right notes for me.
Yeah, me too! More pics here: http://s637.beta.photobucket.com/use...ab741.jpg.html

I bought this one earlier this year and love it! I really like the stripped down, hot rod look, and I really enjoy the visceral feel of the motor. It's no supersport or course, but it handles well, and is a blast to ride. It's everything that I had been missing in a bike. Just wish they still made 'em. It was my first experience with H-D at all, and my experience with the motor is what got me considering a Sportster, and keeping up with this thread.

If you think you want one, go ride one. If you are anything like me, you'll love it!

Gettin' married next June, so I put gettin' another bike on the back burner for now (selling a few in fact) http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847635, but at the moment I'm pretty sure that my next project will be Sportster based.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 05:52 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #1964
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

I sure miss my 2000 X1. It was such a fun bike. I would ride a stretch of curves on my VStrom and then later ride the same stretch on my X1. I would be thinking "wow kinda going slow, then when I glanced down at the speedometer I would realize I was going a lot faster on the Buell than I thought I was. It was not the fastest bike but it really did well in the curves and wheelying over speedbumps was stupid easy. I sold mine for a pittance on EBay and I regret it.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #1965
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
I just started a build thread for my Sportster project. It should have a bit of off-road GO when it's complete.

LINKY

Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote