Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
I ran a few sets of the bias with no issues. Loved the tires. Then in a matter of a few weeks I had a front bias ply separate. The tread just started to come off the carcass and a few weeks latter my radial rear developed some odd marks on it. The front had about 4,000 miles on it and still looked brand new.

I have a radial front now that I replaced the bias with the tread separation and switched to an Anakee rear.

Here's a shot of the rear, as you can see there's still a ton of tread. Not sure if I could have kept running the tire but I had two camping trips coming up and didn't want to be stuck somewhere.

I'm a tire pressure natzi and always keep them right at the high number. I'm pretty hard on tires in the dirt, but don't overly load the bike. I'm 190, and I can only pack so much into my Givi E21's.

roger123 screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 04:22 AM
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #17
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Any ideas as to tyre pressure for them? I've got a WeeStrom and don't often have a pillion. I have read that 35psi in both should be about right.
Too much air by around 3 lbs. Guys that put lots of air in them wear them out fast. They bite much better on dirt at 32 or so and you can run that all the time. The rear runs about 7K miles on my Wee. 2 sets of them so far and no issues at all. Great tires. BUY THE RADIALS!
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Ok, got my new 705s on today. First impressions- they look bloody great. I think the chunky tread pattern gives the bike a much more rugged look. Only done about 20kms on them so far but they feel very very different to my old Trailwings. Much noisier and a fair bit of vibration which I imagine is down to aforementioned tread pattern. Seemed to grip well though and I didn't think the noise or vibration was unbearable. They'll just take a bit of getting used to instead of my super quiet tw's!

I will hopefully get them scrubbed in properly over the weekend!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Too much air by around 3 lbs. Guys that put lots of air in them wear them out fast. They bite much better on dirt at 32 or so and you can run that all the time. The rear runs about 7K miles on my Wee. 2 sets of them so far and no issues at all. Great tires. BUY THE RADIALS!
On my third set or so, have always run 40/40 in the tires. 8500 on the last rear, 17k on the front. I do let air out for offroad, but always back to 40 on pavement.
enumclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Put them on my Strom before a 10 day a couple of months ago. RR here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550 Had heard good and bad about the tire but really liked them. Ended up riding them in quite a bit of gravel, heavy rain and even some snow. Wear is non-existent and I will buy another pair. I had Anakee II's on prior and like the Shinko much better.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Ran the 705's on my klr650... Good tire for the price but I didn't get but 3500 miles out of the rear... Ran around 36psi... I just never have gotten the great mileage other claim for some reason...
Same here; if you run back roads as I do, the frequent speed changes eat up most
any rear tire on a KLR due to the heavy engine braking with each throttle closing. Every time
the throttle is closed, it's like jumping on the rear brake, and it shows up in short tire life...
Good bike, but more flywheel with less engine braking would be welcome.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,286
I put a set on my Wee this summer. Seem like a great tire so far, seem to do well off road. They do make noise and buzz a bit around 20 mph but I will use them for a 50/50 tire.

I plan on trying a set of Bridgestone B023's next summer though for slab and sport riding work.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quick update on the Shinkos. Done 160kms on them so far and very impressed. Did some twisties and a bit of gravel today with Brian (exile730) who got Shinkos fitted to his GS1150 last week also. Stuck like glue on the twisties although none of us are peg scrapers, and massive improvement on the gravel compared with my old TrailWings. Can't fault them at all so far. Enjoying the Shinko Shuffle immensely!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #24
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post

Where did you hear that folks that run high pressures wear the 705s out fast? I ask because I have probably run more 705s than most on here on several different bikes including my DL650 and I have found just the opposite, high pressures give more life, least on the rear. I have run everything from low teens when riding in the sand ranging from S. Ga and Fla to alot of sandy stuff on the Trans Lab and other dirt roads up in Labrador and Quebec. Have also run up around 50psi when loaded up and running high speeds when touring. When I first started running the 705s I stayed at the manufacturer's recommended max or less and never got more than around 6-7K miles for the most part. Most around 4.5-6K to tell the truth. I started running higher and higher pressures and have seen better tire life up to around 8-9K miles and man, take that with a grain of salt as I tend to get less tire mileage than most.

As a rule of thumb, around 32psi would be my "sporting" pressure for the rear when playing of tarmac with the bike unladen. Somewhere around 18-25psi for most dirt road playing depending on how rough that road is {I run a bit higher pressures when in rocky stuff out of fear of bent rims {I have a couple of those already and learned my lesson}. The only time I run less than 18psi is in real sand. For commuting and touring,,,,,,, I'm running at least 38psi when unloaded and like I said, I've run up near 50psi when loaded heavily and pounding out the miles. Seriously, low to mid 40s is normal for me and others even when unladen and we can see some decent mileage numbers. I can say that if I run 32psi all the time, I would rarely see 5K, probably less, alot less.

I have a friend on here {BlueLightning} that rides a DL and has pretty much come to the same conclusions. Although, I think I still run my pressures a smidge higher than he but he's still "up there" especially as compared to 32psi, way up there.

Please understand I'm not saying that 32 sucks. It's a great all-round pressure that'll give decent dirt traction, great tarmac traction and decent mileage on a unladen DL. I'm just not sure where you get the notion that higher pressures equal less wear,,,,, they honestly don't, exactly the opposite. Least in my experience and man, like I said I have alot of experience with these 705s.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #25
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Ran the 705's on my klr650... Good tire for the price but I didn't get but 3500 miles out of the rear... Ran around 36psi... I just never have gotten the great mileage other claim for some reason...
When I bought my XR650 it had a set of brand new 705s on it. Not exactly the tire I wanted on the XR but I'm a cheap bastid and left em on. Didn't have to live with a tire I didn't want for long,,,,,, it was toast in under 2.5K miles. Honestly it was toast in under 2K miles but I rode it locally till the cords. Like I said in my last post, I tend to be pretty rough on tires and I have to admit I was pretty rough on that one as ran around alot on too low of a pressue due to airing down and being lazy about airing back up. On the XR I was running around 20psi most of the time and I don't think I ever ran it over say 25psi or so. The XR was just too light {relatively ya you} and that's where I got the best traction. Since the XR wasn't ever put into touring use, I never tried higher pressures for more life. I needed traction and a 705 just ain't too good a choice for the XR unless I was playing tag with sportbike squidlets. Gotta admit that on tarmac,,,,, those 705s made the XR think it was a motard.

I think the big numbers you see are from the larger 705s {150s} when on DLs and the like. I suppose if one pumped a 130/140 sized rear up to high pressures for a KLR,,,,,,,,,, maybe 35psi or so, it might well last awhile. Traction would start to sorta suck though.

My wife's Ascot {400lb unladen, 500cc twin} got as high as 7K miles out of it's 120/18 when on a trip to Labrador. I ran it pumped up to around 40psi if I remember right and I was a bit cautious running it that high as I think the max listed was around 36psi or so. The Ascot was loaded heavily with gear at the time and was probably had another 50-75lbs min. stuffed into panniers, top boxes and strapped onto the rear of the seat. I would say that your KLR would weigh in a bit less so maybe try a bit higher pressures when you can and you might see a smidge more mileage but honestly that 3.5K will prolly be the average for the smaller sized 705s.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #26
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
My riding budget mid-season this year dictated I go with "price-conscience" tires for the 2009 KLR. I indeed wanted to try some 705's myself. Ordered em up and was very pleased when they arrived, nice looking tire, great disign and all.

Had em mounted and balanced, and put 3,300 miles on them before parking the bike recently cause of the weather.

I am very pleased at thier performance and the level of confidence they give the bike for all around riding. Not slippy on tar snakes, great under a heavy load, and my bike sometimes sees 70+ for short stretches of I-94 here. They also seem confident in the rain.

I put 9,000 miles on the KLR this season, and like I said 3,300 of them were on the 705's. Great tire.

I am guessing I will see about 4,000 - 4,300 miles on em before I opt to pull them and will replace with another set.

I weigh about 260 and carry heavy loads on trips. Good or bad, I run my KLR tires at 30 rear and about 25 front. Just what works for me and the bike is confident at those pressures. Tires wearing great, no cupping, no separation, etc.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #27
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Where did you hear that folks that run high pressures wear the 705s out fast? I ask because I have probably run more 705s than most on here on several different bikes including my DL650 and I have found just the opposite, high pressures give more life, least on the rear. I have run everything from low teens when riding in the sand ranging from S. Ga and Fla to alot of sandy stuff on the Trans Lab and other dirt roads up in Labrador and Quebec. Have also run up around 50psi when loaded up and running high speeds when touring. When I first started running the 705s I stayed at the manufacturer's recommended max or less and never got more than around 6-7K miles for the most part. Most around 4.5-6K to tell the truth. I started running higher and higher pressures and have seen better tire life up to around 8-9K miles and man, take that with a grain of salt as I tend to get less tire mileage than most.

As a rule of thumb, around 32psi would be my "sporting" pressure for the rear when playing of tarmac with the bike unladen. Somewhere around 18-25psi for most dirt road playing depending on how rough that road is {I run a bit higher pressures when in rocky stuff out of fear of bent rims {I have a couple of those already and learned my lesson}. The only time I run less than 18psi is in real sand. For commuting and touring,,,,,,, I'm running at least 38psi when unloaded and like I said, I've run up near 50psi when loaded heavily and pounding out the miles. Seriously, low to mid 40s is normal for me and others even when unladen and we can see some decent mileage numbers. I can say that if I run 32psi all the time, I would rarely see 5K, probably less, alot less.

I have a friend on here {BlueLightning} that rides a DL and has pretty much come to the same conclusions. Although, I think I still run my pressures a smidge higher than he but he's still "up there" especially as compared to 32psi, way up there.

Please understand I'm not saying that 32 sucks. It's a great all-round pressure that'll give decent dirt traction, great tarmac traction and decent mileage on a unladen DL. I'm just not sure where you get the notion that higher pressures equal less wear,,,,, they honestly don't, exactly the opposite. Least in my experience and man, like I said I have alot of experience with these 705s.
I don't run my DL on anything tougher than solid dirt roads and seldom run really heavily laden or 2 up. When I do that I put up my pressure to around 38 PSI. The front does not seem to wear much different regardless of air pressure but the back one (1st one) that I put on wore out within 5K right up the center about 2 in. across. I chalked this up to overinflation as the sides were still like new. Next set dropped down to 32 and that is where I leave it. I ride 4 months of the yr on the very abrasive roads of NM which is a tire killer. This tire thread demonstrates the ability of this tire to allow a lot of flexibility in pressures. We never really know what "worn out" is to another rider either. To me, if they even wear in an uneven pattern I change them out....especially at this tires price.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #28
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Keep in mind conditions have a huge effect on these tires. When I use a 705 locally, play alot and use lowish pressures {under 40}, I'm luck to get 4.5K outta rear. I've actually worn a 705 down to cords showing in less than 4K miles when I ran low pressures and played alot {considering the DL's lack of power, I would hate to see what woulda happened had it been on the back of a liter+ bike like a Vee, a 950/990 Adv or a BMW GS1100+. How hard you ride and the conditions you ride have a far greater effect on mileage than 5 or even 10psi. Summer is harder on tires than cool weather riding for a number of reasons.

To me, "worn out" is down to the cords or as close as possible if I'm riding locally. If on a long trip,,,, I get ansy at the wear indicators but I do my best to either have a new one mounted which will last the entire trip or I carry a spare and will swap em out when I feel like it.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 12-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
buls4evr
No Marks....

I really agree with you Jud on the HP and weight of the bike being critical to this tire. If I were running a high HP big inch, multi I would not use this tire. I don't think its speed or load rating is high enough for those bikes. Pretty much an 800 would be about max IMO.This would be especially true if you ran one loaded down in a high heat area like Phoenix for example.