Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #241
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,920
I dropped the sag a bit. Ride height is = to stock. Maybe this will push me to get that Scotts stabilizer pin tower welded on ASAP. That should clear it up!

The bike rides fine as long as both hands are damping the bars, even with a light touch. I hasn't shook at any speed up to 100 MPH actual and on some really rough roads too. The forks need work as they pack up under heavy ripples and washboard tar. The rear end is just planted. The bars on my 950 SMR would wag over 90 MPH, this thing stays straight and true.

If the rear end measures square when I check that, and the roller bearings don't cure it i can live with it. Done it before for 25-30k miles.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #242
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 712
OK to talk about the cbr500 over here? hehehe J/k I didn't mean to get them all upset over there. Wow, whiners. I'm still pretty excited about the 300. Kawa G shows how to change the oil, I just like her fingernail polish, I think she's giving you the ADV salute, right there. But look at those pipes, those are some big tucking pipes. I guess that's like a longer barrel on a rifle, it just makes it go faster.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #243
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
My wife has had 2 Ninja 650's but I've only test ridden the new 300. Well more torque and power on the 650, as you'd imagine; gas mileage to the 300 (I'm sure. The 650 averaged about 55-57 w/my wife commuting.); handling to the 300 for flickability; and suspension is a very personal, adjustable, modding sort of thing. The 300 is also smoother feeling. That may be good or bad, depending on how you like your "character" and what you consider character. If I were just running around back roads and looking for economy, I'd go 300. If I were looking for street power, highway, two-up, etc., I'd go 650. That'd leave me w/the 300, were I to do it again. Whether or not that helps...
Sure it does, thanks.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #244
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,696
BTW.. someone already said Versys 300.. but this would be fun too:

I love the looks of the new ER6n.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #245
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
OK to talk about the cbr500 over here? hehehe J/k I didn't mean to get them all upset over there. Wow, whiners. I'm still pretty excited about the 300. Kawa G shows how to change the oil, I just like her fingernail polish, I think she's giving you the ADV salute, right there. But look at those pipes, those are some big tucking pipes. I guess that's like a longer barrel on a rifle, it just makes it go faster.

Bah! You got me!

That girl did a few vids about working on the 300. Very interesting to hear her explain some stuff! But nice for the total noobs to see simple tasks are easy to do.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #246
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I did some research and found the older Ninja 250s were pretty famous for the no hands-front wheel death wobble at around 50 MPH too. Nothing has changed in that regard I guess! My ZZR1200 used to do it too, decel no hands wobbles. I always hated that and still do.
Odd...every Ninja 250 that I've ridden (and there have been quite a few, both 1st and 2nd gen) hasn't wobbled at all.
Experienced it on other bikes FZ600, Hawk GT, Ninja 500. But never the 250. Good luck with tracing it down, it is a bit annoying to say the least.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #247
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I've found a few other complaints about it on older threads from other sites. I'll keep looking but I bet my damper will cure it anyway unless I figure it out first.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #248
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
I, too, hope that you discover the cause - I'd really like to know. It is one thing if you are pushing the limits of the chassis design, and another if something is just "out of tune". Also, while I recognize that steering dampers can be necessary for safety on the race track, where riders are pushing chassis limits, I've always believed that they cover-up true problems on street bikes, and even on enduros where the bikes are not being used at race-speeds. No one chassis design can be stable over the entire range of possible uses, but the everyday envelopes of street and trail riding just aren't that wide. If it wobbles, something else is wrong.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #249
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I know it shouldn't do it but I've owned other bikes that did exactly the same thing from day one. If you google search it, the exact same decel, no hands under 50-40 MPH wobble is common. If I try to get the same result at 40 MPH it goes dead straight. At 80 MPH it won't start till under 50. It is a good little mystery for sure.

I already know Kawi's response, keep your hands on the bars.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #250
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Sure it does, thanks.
You bet.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #251
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
I know it shouldn't do it but I've owned other bikes that did exactly the same thing from day one. If you google search it, the exact same decel, no hands under 50-40 MPH wobble is common. If I try to get the same result at 40 MPH it goes dead straight. At 80 MPH it won't start till under 50. It is a good little mystery for sure.

I already know Kawi's response, keep your hands on the bars.

I have two Ninja 500s and they both do the exact thing you describe your 300 as doing. It's common with the 500's. Front tire pressure seems to affect it a good deal, the tapered rollers help as does adjusting fork oil levels. But the BIGGEST impact is making sure your front and rearwheels are aligned with each other. Screw the marks on the swingarm and don't waste time aligning the rear to the frame. Some string wrapped around the back of the rear tire, pulled to the front edge of the front tire (not touching) and just kissing the front edge of the rear tire (confused yet?)... do both sides and measure the distance from the string to the edge of the front tire's tread. Get both sides even and it will greatly reduce the hands off shake, but it won't eliminate it.

There's a writeup with pictures on the ex-500.com WIKI that explains it better.....

The only way to avoid it is.... by keeping your hands on the bars.....

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #252
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

HaHa! Thanks for the advice. i'll let you know how it goes.

Next up, a 18k redline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHvV...ature=youtu.be

Holy Cow!!! These guys are serious! Thats on the 2013 250 Ninja too!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #253
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Odd...every Ninja 250 that I've ridden (and there have been quite a few, both 1st and 2nd gen) hasn't wobbled at all.
Experienced it on other bikes FZ600, Hawk GT, Ninja 500. But never the 250. Good luck with tracing it down, it is a bit annoying to say the least.
I can't speak for the pre-gen, but I've never had that happen on a new-gen. I've ridden mine and a few others at events or to help friends diagnose issues, no wobbles.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #254
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
HaHa! Thanks for the advice. i'll let you know how it goes.

Next up, a 18k redline?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHHvV...ature=youtu.be

Holy Cow!!! These guys are serious! Thats on the 2013 250 Ninja too!
The first comment on that video is correct. There is no way that is a 4,400rpm idle. I don't trust those tach readings at all.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #255
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Stopped by the dealer today and gave the 300 a test sit. (They don't allow test rides on new bikes) Everything felt really good! Well except for one thing. Whoever designed the seat should be shot! It is totally and completely devoid of anything resembling padding. I think they put a seat pan on there, folded some cardboard up to give it shape and then put vinyl over the top of it. Crazy!

By contrast, I sat on the redesigned 650 that was right next to it and it is one of the better seats I've ever sat on and by far the best one on a sporty bike. How can one manufacturer get one so right and the other soooooo wrong?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote