ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #6091
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
So DRTBYK what size do you use as Small is too small ?
That one looks like the size of the one I got for my Spot II
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #6092
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
That one looks like the size of the one I got for my Spot II
That is what I am now going to use it for, good suggestion. Like Cyborg it is too cheap to return.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #6093
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
When you buy the uSD version the lock applies to the card itself so it can be used in any compatible gps, but can't be copied to another card to use in a second gps. The biggest disadvantage to uSD is that they can't be upgraded, and Lifetime Map Updates don't apply to the card.

Those same disadvantages also apply to the download version.
Thanks for that. Just confirming I can use it in my 62 one day and the montana the next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I'm thinking while you're in the states you should pay your buddy Wayne a visit in San Diego
I'm gonna try! One of the issues we had are my knee guards are 3" too low; his response when I told him was that "in YOUR country you should be able to get anyone to fix that in 5 minutes!" I've literally been to 100+ taylors and no one will touch it.
The velcro is coming off the gear all over the place; in a letter he insisted that was impossible as he uses the very best velcro on the planet. He also told me the very day I wrote the letter the velcro was coming off he got another letter from someone who wore the gear every day for 28 years and they wrote in to praise the velcro. I'm wondering what he'll say to me when he sees it falling off in person?

Got a waypoint for Wayne?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #6094
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Thanks for that. Just confirming I can use it in my 62 one day and the montana the next?

I'm gonna try! One of the issues we had are my knee guards are 3" too low; his response when I told him was that "in YOUR country you should be able to get anyone to fix that in 5 minutes!" I've literally been to 100+ taylors and no one will touch it.
The velcro is coming off the gear all over the place; in a letter he insisted that was impossible as he uses the very best velcro on the planet. He also told me the very day I wrote the letter the velcro was coming off he got another letter from someone who wore the gear every day for 28 years and they wrote in to praise the velcro. I'm wondering what he'll say to me when he sees it falling off in person?

Got a waypoint for Wayne?
Rick, off topic, but if you get no joy on the velcro repairs, when you get back to Seattle area, these guys WILL fix anything, and specialize in outdoor gear http://rainypass.com/
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #6095
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Yes, the card can go from one gps to the other and back as often as you feel like doing it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #6096
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
Is there anything written or posted anywhere on the NET that can help with understanding workflow between BaseCamp and the Montana unit. Specifically organzing data in BaseCamp, transferring data between BaseCamp -> Montana and Montana -> BaseCamp. I am Trying to understand how BaseCamp operates so thought if there was some example WorkFlow's someone could post.

I am very familiar with MapSource but I understand I need to be using BaseCamp with my new Montana.
Have you tried the BaseCamp tutorial videos? Look under Help -> Video Tutorials. This will open a browser window with the following video tutorial options: Adventures, BirdsEye, Find, Introduction, Organizing Data, Routes, Sharing, and Tracks. Start with the "Introduction" and "Organizing Data" videos.

Key points to note:
  • In BaseCamp, all of your data is stored in a single database called "My Collection."
  • Your data can be organized in List Folders, or in Lists. I believe the Mac version of BaseCamp also offers "Smart Lists" -- the Windows version of BaseCamp does not.
  • Your original data is always located in "My Collection." A List it is just a way of organizing how you view your data in "My Collection."
  • A List Folder is a way to organize Lists. Start by creating some List Folders.
  • You can have Folders within Folders.
  • You can have any number of Lists in a List Folder.
Watch the "Organizing Data" video a couple of times, to ensure you understand the concepts. Then try creating some Lists, Folders and some data in those.

You may also find this BaseCamp Wiki useful:

http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

I recommend you experiment with BaseCamp a bit, to learn how it works, before you begin migrating your data from Mapsource to BaseCamp. And when you do begin to migrate your data, do so SLOWLY, not all at once.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #6097
Windrock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the pointers on Basecamp, Bill Murray. I will start by watching the Video's.

Trail Machine: 2013 Polaris RzR 570 LE
Windrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #6098
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
Would somebody please explain how to set up my Montana to have this screen?

I think I have all the other screens set up to do what I want but this one escapes me.

I am using City Nav North America from a DVD.

I am sure it is just user error but I can't make it work.

Thanks!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"

Riteris screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:12 PM
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #6099
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Curious where folks are mounting thier tempe sensors. I have tried mine on the cross strap for my camel back, but it gives false reading there due to solar gains.
empedrado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #6100
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post

I think I have all the other screens set up to do what I want but this one escapes me.

Thanks!
Answer is here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces....ications+-+Map
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #6101
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:

Thanks!
It is slightly hidden in the Montana wiki, but if you select the Features Page, Dashboards, and then nuvi, you end up here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6102
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
Is there an easy way to make a bunch of waypoints by entering coordinates?

I have a bunch to make, but so far the only way I can figure to make them is to make a waypoint in basecamp then edit that waypoint with the correct coordinates.

The waypoints I need to make are mostly not on roads so it is difficult to make them otherwise.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #6103
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,162
found some help in a previous post by dirtbyk.

Still hoping for someway to crank them out faster though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea
OK,

Just got basecamp & city nav. installed on the computer and (hopefully) the city nav. updated into the Garmin Montana 650t.

Have routed a 2 week trip up through Maine and through PEI, NS, & NBrunswick and specific lighthouse coordinates through Google maps, saved each day of the trip etc....cool.

Today, I sit down with basecamp/city nav and attempt to "route out" the same trip so I can transfer the routes into the gps itself. Was able to find my house on city nav...make it a waypoint...great.

Then try to get my friends house in CT where I want to stay the first night...no such luck, citynav doesn't find his apartment building or even find his town (Vernon, CT)...?
Ok, I'll try to find mom's house in Ohio...again no such luck for a house outside of Toledo that has been there for 50 years...??

Humph, well I think, how does one enter in exact lat/long coordinates of a lighthouse for example. Data found on lighthousefriends.com ... easily done on Google maps, can't find where to do that on the Basecamp screen.

Time to start calling:

Called gpscity...the guy on the phone was useless..."call Garmin he says"

Garmin, 1st time guy trys to find mom's house etc. Can't do it, claims that there are bugs between basecamp and city nav. But he assures me that the Montana gps unit itself would navigate me accurately to the house if I punched the address in on it while on the road (can I trust this?)...naturally we get disconnected so I have to call back?

Garmin, 2nd time: different guy doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable as the first, has an associate next to him trying to find mom's house, they can't find, will work on it and email me>>>
...he tells me that to get the exact gps lat/long, I have to zoom in on the basecamp map, and "click" where I believe the point (in this case a lighthouse) to be and than create the waypoint that way.
...he sez that I can't take the google maps route and transfer them to the gps, I would have to use google Earth, import the .kml files and I should see the waypoints on Basecamp... I try this and it doesn't seem to work. Just see my house start point, no friends apt. in CT, nor the campground end waypoint in Harrington, ME.

Sorry to be long winded, but does anybody know the easiest way to take a google map route(s) and get them into a garmin gps? Am I completely missing something with Basecamp/City Nav. that the Garmin guys didn't alert me to? So far I am not impressed with this garmin software and route/trip building etc. And customer service doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable either, except they acknowledge that there is a problem between base camp and city nav.

Frustration is building.

Any help or ideas???

Chris

On a Windows computer, to enter Lat/Lon for a location in BaseCamp:

Select VIEW->RECENTER MAP TO..., enter your coordinates.

Address Search in BaseCamp is a bit wankers and is getting some attention in v4.0 but until then you want to enter as little data as possible in your search criteria to get started.

By the way, the HELP files in BaseCamp provide adequate information to do the basic tasks. You might give them a try.

Cheers,
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #6104
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
What about setting up a .csv file like one used for custom POIs then use the POI uploader?

Example of format:

-149.88906,61.17062,"The Motorcycle Shop","400 W Potter Dr, Anchorage, AK, 99518-1143, (907) 561-1165,"
-147.64646,64.835,"Trail's End BMW","Po Box 80754, Fairbanks, AK, 99708-0754, (907) 479-2367,"
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #6105
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
I am using the nuvi dashboard.

I am hoping to get that type of view on my Montana. Even if I drove to Forest Ave., I cannot get that view.

Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote