Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1096
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
That is huge and that guinea pig is going to think it won the 500 million dollar power ball! Too funny and I think King Pig is going to have a hard time getting up those ramps. The look a little slick for his poor little swine feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
The guinea pig palace is finally 100% complete.

Getting ready to put it into service here in a bit...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #1097
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
There was a bit of a learning curve for Piggy, but he's happy now!

...and 100mpg, you are right! I had to add some traction on the ramps for fat butt to make it up.

I had some left over strips that I had sheared for the outer cage. I cut them to the width of the ramps and pop-riveted them in place. Sucked up the shavings with the shop vac, and Piggy was good to go.

My girl was so excited that she had to show the cage to her neighbor friend.

Mostly made from scrap, but I probably used close to $100 in argon. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #1098
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Back to the uni-strut scrap pile for the next project...

A roll-around cart and hydraulic conversion on the JD2 tube bender. The pedestal I'm using is from JD2 and is meant for a stationary mount. I thought sailah had a great idea by making a set up with wheels, so I have been wanting to do this for a while.

JD2 doesn't make a cart, but tricktools does, and this will be similar to what they offer, but I will make my own tweaks so it's not a complete and total ripoff.

I start by making the width narrow enough to go through a 32" door opening. I mount the pedestal to the strut with springnuts and hardware, square everything up, and then tack it all together with the MIG.

I flip the hydraulic pump on it's side to layout the mounts for the motor assembly. I'll make the pump mount once the motor is bolted down.

I mark the hole centers, make a square mark on the other side, and cut some more strut to tack into place.

Nothing super exciting, but another needed project is finally getting knocked out...

I've had the pump and ram for a while, and need to make sure everything works. I would still LOVE to make a sidecar for the KLR. It's on the near horizon... maybe... hopefully!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 08:51 PM
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #1099
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
Quote:
traction on the ramps for fat butt to make it up.

Mostly made from scrap, but I probably used close to $100 in argon. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Castle FatButt!

100 in argon? For your daughter and fatbutt? Thats cheap. She will remember that cage for the rest of her life.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #1100
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

With the motor supported, I can now flip the cart up to support the pump...

With more scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar, I bend a piece and drill it out for the mounting block of the pump. The hydraulic reservoir is just floating in space, so I bend more flat bar for it to rest on. I tack the bars in place with the MIG.

I don't know about you, but the valve on top and the reservoir both look pretty vulnerable to being damaged to me. Next up, I will make a removable protective cage. It might be nice to allow for a basket on top of the cage for holding a notebook, level, protractor, or anything else used with bending tube.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #1101
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

My Rube Goldberg bender cart is coming right along.

I dig through the scrap pile and wind up with various sized angle. I want the cage to be able to lift right up.

I frame around the j-box on the left, and the hyrdaulic lines on the right.

It's taller than needed so the tool shelf on top will be at arm's reach w/o bending over.

It doesn't look like much, but this took all day.

That's all for now. I hope to get it all wrapped up tomorrow...
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1102
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Castle FatButt!

100 in argon? For your daughter and fatbutt? Thats cheap. She will remember that cage for the rest of her life.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #1103
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
Quote:

With all of that Aluminum, do you have any plans for the effects of the Oxides?

(Guinea Pigs and Alzheimers are a bad combo......)

JK, .......nice project, your daughter will love it and I know that it feels good to stretch your "creative" legs.

-Rhyno
But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #1104
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
With all of that Aluminum, do you have any plans for the effects of the Oxides?

(Guinea Pigs and Alzheimers are a bad combo......)

JK, .......nice project, your daughter will love it and I know that it feels good to stretch your "creative" legs.

-Rhyno
Thanks, Rhyno!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #1105
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Well, I jinxed myself yesterday by saying I'd be wrapped up today...

I hooked the ram to the pump and thought I would purge the lines as a "quiet" job in the garage while everyone was asleep @ 4am.

Ram extends, but will not retract. To the laptop, Batman! Ram model # tells me that it is a spring return. I double check hydraulic line tightness. Check. Still no retraction. Hmmm... Plus, there is no manual pressure release on the pump. Great.

I disconnect the quick release at the ram. Then I unscrew the hose from the pump and $10 worth of oil pukes on the ground. Then I reconnect the quick release to the ram and it pukes some more, but at least it retracts with no pressure. That also tells me pump - good, line - good, ram - good. I check the wiring - good. I check the coils on the solenoid valves - good. Getting power, good impedance. I disconnect the solenoid from the pump manifold. More puking. About $20 worth of oil on the floor being tracked everywhere now. WTF.

A call to JD2 proved worthless. They directed me to SPX - the pump maker. Guess what? SPX only provides the pump and manifold, NOT the solenoid or push button controller. C'mon. Really? At least the guy from SPX pretended to care even though it wasn't really his problem. It's JD2's. Mine now.

I have it this far apart. I gut the manifold completely. I gut the solenoid spool and valves completely. I blow everything out w/ 90psi. The block for the solenoid was completely full of metal shavings. The spool would move enough to extend, but would get jammed on the retract side. 6 hours later it's back together and the garage and myself is saturated in oil. Now I'm a hydraulic mechanic, I guess. I'm not very happy with the price I paid for this pump and the complete lack of customer support from JD2.

Fekkers owe me a steak and some beer, minimum.

Up since 4am, I finally get to welding around 11am. I get the bender cart base knocked out and coated in California Suede.

The cage gets closed in with expanded metal from the junk yard. After some fine tuning with the flap wheel, the cage will be ready for paint. I worked my butt off today, but it sure doesn't look like it.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 02:25 PM
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #1106
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

One heck of an upgrade...

... from such humble beginnings.

Now for a little perspective...

Hey - it held up while hand bending 2" 6061-T6, so at least my welds were okay. Now the old pedestal goes back to the scrap pile to wind up on another future scrap build.

Just like the Jeffersons - me and weezie are movin' on up.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #1107
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
The guinea pig palace is finally 100% complete. My girl will be home from school any minute, and I'm hoping she loves it!

"Hi. My name is Kirkster70. I am a welding junky"

Looks good. I thought about the traction issue as well. I was looking for a second way up so he could climb up and slide down. Kind of chutes and ladders for the mini-pig.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #1108
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
"Hi. My name is Kirkster70. I am a welding junky"

Looks good. I thought about the traction issue as well. I was looking for a second way up so he could climb up and slide down. Kind of chutes and ladders for the mini-pig.

Thanks, Dave!

Piggy loves it. He runs all around making all kinds of squeaks and chirps.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #1109
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Bender cart anxiously awaiting the next big project.

Shelf lifts out for access to the oil reservoir w/o removing cage.

Loaded up with bending tools and ready to go to work.

Made entirely out of scrap. The only thing I had to go out and buy was 2 rattlecans of flat black paint. The build took about two days altogether.

I was trying to flip it over, and it's very stable. I imagine it could happen with a long, heavy piece of tube, but you'd have to really not be paying attention to what's going on.

I positioned the bender assy. so that a kick on a 90 doesn't smack into the cage.

Done deal, Lucille. Until next time...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #1110
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,316
What's that on the wheel of the popemobile?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote