Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Anyone here use GPX2img

I have a question, when I load a new gpx2img map into my garmin 376 from mapsource, it deletes the previous map set.

I use gpx2img to connect 15 to 20 tracks into a single track and this works great, however I also want my detailed county roads maps which I get from either city nav or from "roads and Rec".

Is it possible to load both.

thanks
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
And also since this program GPX2img seems to have no support from its deveoper. Is there any other programs similar, which can convert gpx files to a loadable image into a garmin gps?
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
JaVaWa GPS-tools | IMGfromGPX

Try this one, it makes a version of the map that can be installed on your computer, that way you can use mapinstall to install it along with the other supplemental maps you need all at the same time.

Problem is if your gps only supports one gmapsupp file it will always overwrite the existing one.

That is a limitation of the gps, not the program.

What model gps are you using?

if it has a memory card you can put the maps from this utility in the gps memory and the other supplemental maps on the card.

O well just some thoughts, it is a nice utility and it works quite well.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 762
I'm sure somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon, but until then

I don't know whether you GPS supports multiple .img files or not. They way to find out would be to hook it up to a computer and go exploring. Rename the gmapsupp.img file to another.img filename and then load some different maps (which will recreate the gmapsupp.img). Now turn on the GPS and see if all the maps show up. If not, then you can probably only use one gmapsupp.img file.

If you can only use one map, perhaps you can load the other .img into Mapsource and then select all the maps and send it to the GPS (effectively merging the multiple maps together into one gmapsupp.img).

Here's some instructions from the web http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...mapsettoolkit/

Or wait until somebody who knows what they are doing comes along.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
gpx2img and other maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
I have a question, when I load a new gpx2img map into my garmin 376 from mapsource, it deletes the previous map set.

I use gpx2img to connect 15 to 20 tracks into a single track and this works great, however I also want my detailed county roads maps which I get from either city nav or from "roads and Rec".

Is it possible to load both.

thanks
It sounds like you're only loading the gpx2img map to your gps only, using mapsource. You have to send all the maps you want at one time. What I mean is when you've opened mapsource and your gps is connected to your computer, use the drop down menu and open the GPX2IMG MAP, highlight the entire map of the track you want load with Map Tool. It should now be displayed in the left column. Use the drop down menu again, pick the next map you want i.e. city navigator or roads and rec, highlight the areas you want and they too should be shown in the left column in mapsource. Hit the Send to Device button and all the maps in the left column will transfer to your gps. Once the magic is performed, disconnect your gps. Turn it on, Tap Tools, Settings, Map, Map Info, and check off the maps you want displayed, including the transparent map of gpx2img. Back out of the menu and View Map. You should have the gpx2img map overlaying the city nav or roads and rec map.

You should be able to send the gpx2img map data to an sd card from your computer using mapsource. The image on the sd card will be in a folder named "garmin" and the image will be named "gmapsupp"
Put the sd card in the gps card slot, and follow the above directions fo display the gpx2imp map as well as the city nav or other map you want. This should work if you haven't erased the original map you have on the internal memory of your gps.
Hope this helps....

Hill Climber screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 12:04 AM
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,798
Awesome

I just downloaded this thing and it's awesome.
Me and my buddy are planning on going to Baja again soon and I have jillions of track logs down there.
My 276C only holds 15 saved tracks.
So now I can make a map image with all those track logs on it and not use any track log memory.
I'm going to make big use out of this.

And in the Forest South of me I have lots of tracks in there---and I can keep all those loaded in my gps all the time.
Awesome.

I rode with Dr. Rock and LDF on their last Mobius ride and he already had this all figured out and had 3,000 miles of tracks on a map overlay on his gps screen---it made navigation a no brainer. Did I say awesome ??? !!!!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 03:07 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

gps2img

Hi Mark
I've been using this program for a couple of years now and make great use of it.
I'm by no means an expert with this program, but I don't think there's any way to add/delete tracks once on your gps.

One possibility may be that you have to create a few images on separate SD cards and carry them with you. Does your 276C have the ability to have more than one gmapsupp or gmapprom? With the units that have that ability, you name the images: GMAPPROM.IMG for the primary mapset GMAPSUPP.IMG for the second, and GMAPSUP2.IMG for the third mapset (Internal mapsets only) If on an SD card, they would be GMAPSUPP1.IMG, GMAPSUPP2.IMG etc.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
try MapUpload

http://www.mapwel.net/down32.htm
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

I just made a map image from a .gpx file I had with this program.

It was made up of all the tracks logs I have of Baja---------probably a couple hundred of them.

I couldn't believe it was only 200KB of data---------which is very close to nothing

So-------lot's more room to load whatever other maps you want to load at the same time------awesome.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
Hi Mark
I've been using this program for a couple of years now and make great use of it.
I'm by no means an expert with this program, but I don't think there's any way to add/delete tracks once on your gps.

One possibility may be that you have to create a few images on separate SD cards and carry them with you. Does your 276C have the ability to have more than one gmapsupp or gmapprom? With the units that have that ability, you name the images: GMAPPROM.IMG for the primary mapset GMAPSUPP.IMG for the second, and GMAPSUP2.IMG for the third mapset (Internal mapsets only) If on an SD card, they would be GMAPSUPP1.IMG, GMAPSUPP2.IMG etc.

Cheers
Hill Climber------when I refered to the deleting-----------I was thinking everytime I made a map image and it added it to the map pull down menu in mapsource it would keep adding them to the list when i made new ones---and I'd end up with a very long pull down map menu. However I have since found that is not true------------ever time you make a map image and put it in mapsource it puts it in the map pull down menu but erases what was there before. So it's no problem.

You other question confuses me ????---but that's easy to do I can load multiple maps in the 276's data card------as many as I want as long as I don't exceed the cards data size.
I did carry multiple data cards one time---and that was when I went to Alaska. I covered a lot of ground on that trip and had all kinds of stuff loaded on multiple data cards.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
You other question confuses me ????---but that's easy to do I can load multiple maps in the 276's data card------as many as I want as long as I don't exceed the cards data size.
I did carry multiple data cards one time---and that was when I went to Alaska. I covered a lot of ground on that trip and had all kinds of stuff loaded on multiple data cards.

BigDog
Oops, this is what happens when I respond way too late at night. I wrote the reply the night before and posted it the next morning without reading it through. Put it down to a senior moment, brain fart or whatever.

You're right about the mulitple mapsets able to be loaded into one image

When are you off to the Baja? Love to meet you in person if it works out...

Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
Oops, this is what happens when I respond way too late at night. I wrote the reply the night before and posted it the next morning without reading it through. Put it down to a senior moment, brain fart or whatever.

You're right about the mulitple mapsets able to be loaded into one image

When are you off to the Baja? Love to meet you in person if it works out...

Cheers

I have no idea when we are going----------I'll work it out with my buddy Dingweeds----then off we go.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Taoshum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
I just downloaded this thing and it's awesome.
Me and my buddy are planning on going to Baja again soon and I have jillions of track logs down there.
My 276C only holds 15 saved tracks.
So now I can make a map image with all those track logs on it and not use any track log memory.
I'm going to make big use out of this.

And in the Forest South of me I have lots of tracks in there---and I can keep all those loaded in my gps all the time.
Awesome.

I rode with Dr. Rock and LDF on their last Mobius ride and he already had this all figured out and had 3,000 miles of tracks on a map overlay on his gps screen---it made navigation a no brainer. Did I say awesome ??? !!!!!

The only thing that worries me down the road--------I'm going to eventually have so many map overlays in the pull down menu it might get crowded and be a very long list------------I wouldn't know how to delete them out of there without uninstalling the program and re-installing ???? Anybody else no how ???

BigDog

Which software are you using?
Taoshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoshum View Post
Which software are you using?
I use garmin mapsource,

Just got back from that Baja trip-------------that map image was awesome-----all those tracks in my gps without using any track log memory. It worked out perfect-----I had over 100 track logs on that map image.

I'll be using this on every long ride I go on----------even the short ones too I guess.
Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Taoshum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
I use garmin mapsource,

Just got back from that Baja trip-------------that map image was awesome-----all those tracks in my gps without using any track log memory. It worked out perfect-----I had over 100 track logs on that map image.

I'll be using this on every long ride I go on----------even the short ones too I guess.
Mark

Sorry, my question about software was about the software to make the transfer from gpx to img? I use Mapsource for planning as well but then need something make the img file.

thanks.
Taoshum is offline   Reply With Quote