Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
jasoomian OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Dented rim advice

So, barreling down Polk 100 road off the Talimena Scenic Highway in the Ouachita National Forest, I hit a good sized rock at a pretty big clip. Launched the front end pretty good, managed to ride it out to a safe stop. Bike seemed fine, no wobble in the front end so I started back up and took it a little easier the rest of the way.

Leaving Polk 100, I headed to AR 8 towards Mena when the front end started feeling a little heavy.

I managed to find a safe spot where (I swear to God I only added my repair bag to help balance the weight in the panniers) I could air up the tire with my portable compressor. This was just a simple overnight and was thinking I didn't need to bring it, Glad I did.

A few miles later, I pulled into a gas station and did a more thorough examination of the front rim than I had conducted on the trail and I noticed that the front rim has a pretty noticeable dent.

Using their super compressor, I managed to air the tire back up, and since then it's managed to hold air for the last hour or so, but, not sure if it is safe enough to ride home, about 200 miles or so, without killing myself. The only person I know with a truck is 360 miles away and all the uHaul places are closed on Sundays. So, yeah, hence the advice.

I cannot feel a wobble or distortion in the way the bike handles, so, I don't think the wheel has been 'knocked out of round', and if it starts to go flat, I can always air it up again and limp it home. As long as it is relatively safe to do so.

So, whose got tidbits to share on how I can fix the wheel, permanently once I get home, and, if possible, temporarily here in Mena and, get home without injuring myself.

Thanks.

jasoomian screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 04:32 PM
jasoomian is offline   Reply With Quote