Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
dijical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
Hi,

Can anyone find a single official SYM website anywhere in the world that lists machine as available for sale?
Not an official Sym website, but usually a very reliable one:

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-...0i-update.aspx
Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Looked more like the Aprilia is aimed at the sport market vs. the commute/tour market which the Burgman is.
I'd love to see the MaxSym (either) since they do appear to be pointed at the Burgmans pretty solidly. If they show up in North America, I'll definitely take a look.
There's nothing sporty about the way the srv handles, or the gilera gp800 it's based on.. it's a pure tourer but with a lot of power.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
There's nothing sporty about the way the srv handles, or the gilera gp800 it's based on.. it's a pure tourer but with a lot of power.
Well long as there's nothing sporty about it I'll hafta check it out.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,103
It's a fat pig, it'll probably out-handle the Burg 650, but miracles are not
to be expected..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Cool2

Found time to read the pdf from Aprilia.
Not my cup of tea, pretty solidly being pitched sport bike scooter, not a lot of native storage & a lot of talk 'bout performance et al.
I'll wait & see on the maxsym, looks more the thing for me.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #21
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,345
I have heard good things about the Maxsym 600. Anyone have a ride report on one?
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #22
vortexau OP
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash View Post
I have heard good things about the Maxsym 600. Anyone have a ride report on one?
I found some YouTube stuff incl:
2014 SYM Maxsym 600i ABS 本地試騎

(7:06)

SYM Maxsym 600i ABS at 190km/h

(1:40)

While, for the 400:

SYM MaxSym 400i ABS 150 km/h city traffic

(10:07)

A review from the UK:

Sym Maxsym 600i ABS

Author Iggy Grainger Posted: 21 August 2014

Quote:
Around town the Sym is well behaved, itís nicely balanced at slow speeds, so slow moving traffic isnít a chore. The 238kg machine carries its weight quite low down as well so it handles itself very well once you get out of the city and want to play around on your favourite back roads. The twin front discs are easily powerful enough to stop if you need to in a hurry and the ABS works well in the background if you need a bit of additional backup. The front suspension does itís job well but the rear was a little bit soft on the standard settings, thankfully itís adjustable and it made the ride much more comfortable. . . . if you want to have a bit of fun, it is actually much sportier than it looks so donít be afraid to enjoy yourself, even if youíre not usually a scooter kind of person...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #23
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
There are a few on the maxi muppets forum in the UK who own these, they love them, can get them for 5999 at one dealer already, the UK distributor is an online member too so we get info straight from the horses mouth!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
The thing is, for me the big maxi's are for touring, and until they get distributership and parts availability down here in the U.S., I can't see buying a touring rig from Sym. Or Kymco for that matter. I know the Kymcos are good scooters, I had one. I've heard nothing but good things in general about Sym, too. Thing is, for touring, you can usually find a Suzuki or Yamaha dealer fairly close should you need one. Same can be said for parts availablity so long as your scoot is 10 years old or newer. Sym, Kymco and even to a certain degree BMW dealerships are few and far betwen and, until that is fixed, I can't see them taking mych maxi business from the big Japanese companies.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #25
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
MaxSym 600

It looks to be the SYM ATV motor, so it should be well proven. To the good; owners have given reports that it's very smooth, smoother than the 400 MaxSym. There have been complaints on the SYM forum about oil consumption.

As I recall the writer said it was in the order of 500ml per 1000 km which he thought was excessive but most manufacturers consider this within the range of normality. My bet based on personal experience with SYM is that these bikes likely take a fair length of time to break-in and run their best. My SYM didn't run it's best until it had 20,000 km on it and it's only 263 and it also used oil when new.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #26
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

I just had a look at the French test of this bike at:

www.scooter-infos.com

In Europe this SYM sells for what a 400cc Yamaha scooter would. It may not be a state of the art scooter motor; it not as fast as a 650 twin, but it provides a very useful increase in performance and smoothness over a 400 scoot and since it's basically a 400 scoot with a bigger motor, it's only a few pounds heavier.

In the value market in Europe with SYM quality; that makes this bike a very appealing proposition for those who don't want an excessively large and heavy scooter, such as smaller riders. This would be a great close to open class touring scoot for those riders.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #27
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

It's been my experience while touring that this whole ' we can't buy this bike because there aren't enough dealers ' story doesn't tell the whole story. In the more remote areas of the western US, if you were really serious about having fairly ready access to dealer services; you should never buy anything but a Harley or Honda. The others, even Japanese makes can be hit and miss.

When I broke down in Sheriden WY on my Suzuki, there was no Suzuki dealer. And even if there is a dealer for your Japanese bike, if it isn't one of the most common Japanese bikes, parts are very likely back ordered to Japan.

It took two months to get the parts to fix my Suzuki. How is that better than my SYM? At least my SYM has proved to be more reliable than any Suzuki I have owned. I'll take my chances.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #28
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
It's been my experience while touring that this whole ' we can't buy this bike because there aren't enough dealers ' story doesn't tell the whole story. In the more remote areas of the western US, if you were really serious about having fairly ready access to dealer services; you should never buy anything but a Harley or Honda. The others, even Japanese makes can be hit and miss.

When I broke down in Sheriden WY on my Suzuki, there was no Suzuki dealer. And even if there is a dealer for your Japanese bike, if it isn't one of the most common Japanese bikes, parts are very likely back ordered to Japan.

It took two months to get the parts to fix my Suzuki. How is that better than my SYM? At least my SYM has proved to be more reliable than any Suzuki I have owned. I'll take my chances.
There are several Suzuki dealers in Wy. at least.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Dealer...=250&ManfId=14

When I searched Sym the answer was "sorry, but we couldn't find a dealer matching your search".

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Dealer...=250&ManfId=14

Seems several dealers within a couple hundred mile radius is better than no dealers.

That said, if the party where you got your Suzuki fixed couldn't find the part(s) needed at another dealership in the States and have the parts shipped, I'd never go to that repair shop again. I could probably find the part, and it isn't how I make my money. Unless it's a rare part, I think you may have gotten taken. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, nothing against Sym per se, but I still wouldn't tour on one.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 AM   #29
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,345
Even though there might be a dealer, very few of them have much experience with scooters. That is almost as big of a problem in a breakdown.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 AM   #30
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash View Post
Even though there might be a dealer, very few of them have much experience with scooters. That is almost as big of a problem in a breakdown.
Got that right. Odds are the selling dealers techs don't work on many either. It's not a solid argument.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote