Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #3706
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS MAN View Post
? any idea as to what LED's it could run without upgrading the stator????

???????????
I think you would need to run only one light without upgrading the stator. The stock headlight is 35w and the single LED light is the lower than that. If you're going to be running both lights for extended periods, I think you would have to upgrade the stator - but for any dedicated light upgrade to the 530 I think you're pretty much forced to upgrade the stator no matter what.

This is a good platform (IMO) for having a windscreen and having decent lights, but you know how it is when you start upgrading stuff.... I think that one from Britannia would require a stator upgrade as well?

Also, there are a BUNCH of LED lights on the market now - you could also shop for a lower wattage light that would fit the opening and use that instead. If you can stay under 35 or so watts, you should be able to get away without a new stator, shouldn't you?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

KMC1 screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 12:55 PM Reason: Correction to wattage
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3707
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I dont know bout that fairing idea,when standing Im over the front of the bike,any sort of windshield would be a distraction at best. Most standup riding isnt done at 70mph anyway so windblast is the least of my worries for dirt riding. I break headlights easily so having a fairing seems a little silly for aggressive dirt riding. The less things bolted to the front of my bike the better,I dont even like having a GPS on the bars.
Yeah, if you're really thrashing it, anything mounted on top is vulnerable...I fortunately haven't completely flipped mine..... Yet

I know the one in the picture was crashed multiple times and hasn't been broken....yet

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3708
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I just exchanged emails with Javier. He does do this kind of work but he is out of he country at the Dakar until mid-January.

I'll be giving him a call when he gets back.
Thanks. I will contact him when he is back

Sent with mind control...
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #3709
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
? any idea as to what LED's it could run without upgrading the stator????

???????????
You will need to float the ground on the stator to make it put out only DC current for an LED. NAND install a regulator /rectifier. You can get the instructions and part from Baja Designs I have Thier Squadron light and love it.

Sent with mind control...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #3710
GPS MAN
Lost!

Oddometer: 69
This headlight upgrade is like all upgrades ~ where do you stop?

I'll check out Baja Designs ........

Dazed and Confused...mostly
GPS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #3711
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
This headlight upgrade is like all upgrades ~ where do you stop?

I'll check out Baja Designs ........

Dazed and Confused...mostly
Ned bolted a regular Baja Designs old style headlight onto his 530,said he had no problems. They may not be flashy but I could see OK with the one that was on my old DRZe,much better then a stock 530 headlight. I dont specialize in night riding but a decent headlight would be good.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #3712
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Ned bolted a regular Baja Designs old style headlight onto his 530,said he had no problems. They may not be flashy but I could see OK with the one that was on my old DRZe,much better then a stock 530 headlight. I dont specialize in night riding but a decent headlight would be good.
I run the Trail Tech H2 halogen aftermarket headlight and it works fine without having to upgrade the stator and I run a GPS off the battery too. Anything more than that though, like grip heaters etc, I would definitely do the stator upgrade.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #3713
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
I run the Trail Tech H2 halogen aftermarket headlight and it works fine without having to upgrade the stator and I run a GPS off the battery too. Anything more than that though, like grip heaters etc, I would definitely do the stator upgrade.
Whoa! This is interesting! (To me anyway, cause I'm cheap like that ) quick question(s)
Do you ride trails with it, or mostly back roads type riding? (In other words is your stator always turning good so it keeps up, or is it keeping up even with low RPM riding like on trails?)

Did you upgrade your battery?

Do you run a trickle charger?

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #3714
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Whoa! This is interesting! (To me anyway, cause I'm cheap like that ) quick question(s)
Do you ride trails with it, or mostly back roads type riding? (In other words is your stator always turning good so it keeps up, or is it keeping up even with low RPM riding like on trails?)

Did you upgrade your battery?

Do you run a trickle charger?

Thanks!
I do a lot of desert riding. Higher speed, long trips. I haven't tried running it a long time in tight single track like 1-2nd gear stuff so can't say how well that would keep up. I always keep it on a battery tender when not in use. It's not the oem battery, but nothing special, either a bike master or yusa. I can't remember. I also haven't ran the high beam for more than 30 mins. I try not to be stuck doing night rides cuz I would want more light for that. It's definitely better than the stock light and a cheaper fix till you decide what type of lighting you want down the road.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #3715
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
I do the same though not as much trail riding.

I did replace the battery with a Shorai and I've been thinking about adding a switch to the headlight.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #3716
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Booooyaaaa! Great info guys! I really appreciate it.

The LED in that little fairing are 27(28?) watts each, and they're about 6 times the lumen output of the stock headlight. That should mean low beam will run lower wattage than the standard light so should be fine to leave running all the time. The high beam when needed probably won't keep a charge on lower speed trails but will when running higher speed! Sweet.

Then I don't have to upgrade the stator, possibly just float the ground to convert to DC at the light. ( or just live with lower LED life and run AC)

THANKS!!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3717
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:

My buddy has a Baja designs Halogen on his POS 530, and it works great, and is a huge improvement over the stock light. I know that isn't saying much, but it is a very bright light. He's vain and bought it mostly because it looks so awesome.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #3718
Foot dragger
singletracker

Ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
My buddy has a Baja designs Halogen on his POS 530, and it works great, and is a huge improvement over the stock light. I know that isn't saying much, but it is a very bright light. He's vain and bought it mostly because it looks so awesome.

I like that sideways snow shot! The stator has been upgraded to run the Halogen I guess? The regular old Baja Designs headlight can be used with a stock stator. The headlight runs off it's own pole on the stator so switching the light off has no effect on the amount of juice the batt puts out to start the bike.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #3719
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
IiI like that sideways snow shot! The stator has been upgraded to run the Halogen I guess? The regular old Baja Designs headlight can be used with a stock stator. The headlight runs off it's own pole on the stator so switching the light off has no effect on the amount of juice the batt puts out to start the bike.
Crap! I didn't know that. So what happens if you suddenly turn on more headlight than that circuit is set up to provide? Will it just go dim or?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #3720
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Crap! I didn't know that. So what happens if you suddenly turn on more headlight than that circuit is set up to provide? Will it just go dim or?
Im no expert on it but Ive read that the headlight runs separate from the batt charging system,so yeah it would probably go dim if too much draw was put on it.