Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #4021
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
We were on the Ruta 40 today :) The road was loose Gravel..... but all is well! Will post photos soon:)
woohoo!

That means that you are near El Chalten? If you are there and with time to spend, i would like to recommend these places (pics are from last year)

BTW, if you are going to El Calafate and visit Perito Moreno glacier, I recommend you to visit Upsala glacier... in my opinon, it's better and not so crowded but it's not cheap though

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #4022
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
woohoo!

That means that you are near El Chalten? If you are there and with time to spend, i would like to recommend these places (pics are from last year)

BTW, if you are going to El Calafate and visit Perito Moreno glacier, I recommend you to visit Upsala glacier... in my opinon, it's better and not so crowded but it's not cheap though
I am in El Calafate right now. Going to Perito Moreno tomorrow. I do not have time for El Chalten or Upsala Glacier on my way south as I have a ship to get to in Ushuaia, but will be riding back up here in January and El Chaltan is part of that time, but will check into Upsala while I am here Maybe it will work on the way back up.

Looks like we will be riding to Torres del Paine and then south, and will miss rio Gallegos on the way south as I am traveling with the KiWi riders..... But will let you know in January!! Thanks!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #4023
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Perito Moreno (town) to Gobenador Gregores

RUTA 40 Riding south.......

We headed out of Perito Moreno in the morning riding Ruta 40. Had 40+ miles of pavement as we headed out acorss the plains. Yup with had a good day, not too much wind that Ruta 40 is know for....

Then gravel....... for 30-40 miles

it was a mix of hard hard pack and loose stones on top, to deeper gravel....

But as I had read, you ride along stretches of the new Ruta 40 that parallels the gravel. So tempting to sneak over adn ride it..... But lots of barriers of dirt, rocks, ditches.....

Some wildlife along the Ruta. This Vicuna did not make it over the fence....

It is cool to be riding the famous Ruta 40 ...... on the gravel. In jsut a few years it appears it will all be paved.

Lots of wide open spaces. We are glad that the wind is not too bad today as we ride the ever changing gravel. The deeper gravel has us gripping tight ..... until we tell ourselves to relax and ride! (I imagine it happens to everyone).

Just going and going....

Then Ken and his bike decide to take a nap He hit a berm of loose gravel and it took out his front wheel. Down he went. Fortunately he was OK.... and we picked it up and continue.

It is hard to tell from the first photo but he is on the bank of gravel that was graded out.... His bike is full of small rocks...

But with smiles Ken takes a few photos! Yup it happened

off we go with a bit of trepidation.....

We stopped to talk with some other bikers headed north... They are from Argentina!! Great guys!

Yea.... We are on our Moto's riding Ruta 40!!

They told us just another 5- 7 Km the road goes to Pavement.... Ken kissing the pavement ... happy to be back on Stable ground again!

We continue on. We see mileage signs counting down 1007, 1006, 1005, 1005 So we think great we will stop at 1000KM Mile marker for Ruta 40 for a photo.... Someone Stole it So we did the next best thing....

KIWi finds a big bug....

Just checking my GPS. 82 Km straight line to next stopping point. and Ushuaia is 750KM ,,,,

Riding at least 1218KM...

Some pavement, then 72 KM gravel to town....

We met Richard from South Africa on the road. He is pushing a 3 wheel pram, started in Usuaia and going to Ecuador and will climb a mountain upon arriving. He had walked 50 KM for the day....

More gravel... Lots of construction and the road is changing all the time.

Rolled into town, for an Apartment to rent.... Settled in for the night.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 02:19 AM
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #4024
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Mark, no problem
in January i'm not going to be here but if you need something, just ask me! I'm going to send you my personal e-mail adress 'cause I think I'm not going to have ISP but I can answer the mails with my phone.

Do you have reservations in Ushuaia? a friend of mine owns a Hostel and may be we can find a spot

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #4025
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 685
Mark,
I'm keeping up with your travels and great pictures. Good for warming this icy soul. The landscape has definitely changed as you ride south and its beginning to look similar to my northern eyes. What are the differences between there and the north?
David
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #4026
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,736
Epic Report!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #4027
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Guanaco

Can't tell from the pic of the critter in the fence but it was probably a guanaco...enjoying the "greased marbles"? Sorry to see that the hot spring at Puyuhuapi didn't make it...hanging glacier is amazing but hard to capture on film.....I tried numerous angles but never did get it quite right...I think the grader drivers get a little perverse macho pleasure out of watching us tip over trying to negotiate their work....adds a little spice to their otherwise humdrum day...that stuff is a real bitch...the KTM distributor for Mexico did an endo in that stuff at about 110 kph...he and the bike were a fair mess when we met up with them in El Calafate...you have some amazing stuff ahead.....it is great to re-live it through your eyes, lens and words.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #4028
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
I watch your pics, then take a look at mine from 3 years ago and some of them are exactly the same This RR feels like travelling with you
Loving it !!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #4029
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
Thank you for this report, ADV rocks!!

Great Lakes Region Canada
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #4030
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Mark,
The landscape has definitely changed as you ride south and its beginning to look similar to my northern eyes. What are the differences between there and the north?
David
Hola David! Good to hear from you!

It also reminds me of the north!! The trees are southern beech and the mountains seem to be more Jagged and rugged in places! I am in El Calafate at 50 Degree latitude.

But it is like being up north!! Loving it!!

Radioman screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 02:33 AM
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #4031
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Can't tell from the pic of the critter in the fence but it was probably a guanaco...
I stand corrected. They are Guanacos that did not make it on the fence line! Thanks!!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #4032
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Botany is a bit of a hobby of mine. I enjoyed seeing the lupines, and unless I am mistaken, it looks like parts of Chile and Argentina have as much of a problem with Scotch broom as we do here in Oregon (all those bushes with bright yellow flowers).

It was interesting to see gunnera in its native habitat - that's those broad leafed plants that look a bit like rhubarb on steroids.

Thanks for pointing out the S. Beech. They are used for bonsai a fair deal. It was nice to see them in their native land with their natural growth habit.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #4033
Radioman OP
Moto rider

G Gregories to El Calafate

Left Gregories early hoping for less windy on Ruta 40. You start off with 110 miles of gravel roads.

We had a great morning with not too much wind, but it picked up later in the morning and we got taste of what the wind can be like!

At about 110 miles out the new road has a bit of tarseal so we take a shortcut over..... Dick and Diana catch a deep spot of gravel and rock. You have to be careful with the cross over as they are still working on the road, and have many barriers to keep people from driving on it until they are done. Mostly better to wait until the gravel gets directed on to the new Blacktop

Then it is wide open to El Calafate

Ken rolling along!

Just lots of open plains on Ruta 40. and wind...

Some places around Tres Largos that are still under construction.

The gravel varies a great deal. Hard pack, lose Marbles like stones, ridges etc.

lots of work trucks. Not the dust is blowing sideways....

A herd of Guanaco along the road. Was fun to see them hop the fences!

we saw some of these : Darwin's Rhea (Rhea pennata), also known as the Lesser Rhea they run about 30MOH, as I rode along side of one for aways, until he ran into the fence

Bit of a water crossing....

Riding back toward the Andes. Mt Fitz Roy in the far back. Last stop before we head into El Calafate.

Yes it is windy .... but not too bad a day for us!

We met up with Andy who has ridden all over the world.

Andy is riding with a group of Bicycle riders who have come down from Ecuador. He is a support truck driver for them. But Ken used the time to get a picture of his KIWI with a rider who was fixing a flat!

And Diana is capturing the interactions!

Roadside chat

We ride into town, get gas and Diana walks over and finds a great place Called Santa Monica Apartments off the main street. They have Cabanas, with Kitchens and living rooms.Going upscale now! But we are staying two nights so I splurge! It has been a great time riding with the KiWI's!!!

Radioman screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 02:34 AM
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #4034
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
Botany is a bit of a hobby of mine. I enjoyed seeing the lupines, and unless I am mistaken, it looks like parts of Chile and Argentina have as much of a problem with Scotch broom as we do here in Oregon (all those bushes with bright yellow flowers).
I should have commented on the Scotch Broom. We have it in the NW and it was funny to have the smell and color from home!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #4035
Radioman OP
Moto rider

El Calafate The Perito Moreno Glacier

So many places to see in this area. We passed by El Chaiten which is up by Mt Fitz Roy (but I will go there on my ride back up this way after Ushuaia as I am on a timeline right now).

We signed up for a Mini trek up on the Glacier including the boat ride near the glacier. Tourist Day at Perito Moreno

It is one of 3 Glaciers in the world that is not receding. But it "calves" about 2 meters of ice per day. It is amazing to hear the cracking and see things falling off. The face is about 150 feet high, and 3 miles across the front. It also extends up the mountain about 25-30 KM. Amazing!

The Glacier is about 50KM west of town. The tour for 10 hours was 600 Pesos ($116 USD) and then $100 Peso entrance fee into the park. You can also just ride out to the park and see the Glacier and then take the boat, but the Mini trek was great fun and I would recommend the splurge.

First stop where we start to see the Glacier, all us tourists get off to take the photo.

The next stop gets you right in front of the Glacier.

Here we are.... Having a great start to our day! Diana, "Ricardo", Ken and Radioman

The glaciers size is really amazing ....

Really cool to see.

Then you get on a boat and motor up near the glacier and then land up near the glacier

It is stunning

We have our lunch and get ready to hike up on the Glacier

Wahooo.... This is great fun!!

The ice is really blue and so cool to see up close.

and still try to keep perspective on how big the glacier really is

We will be heading up here.....

We put on Crampons to grip the ice.

On the tour, you always get to interact with other travelers from all over the world. This is Michala and Adena (sorry for the mispelled names) They are from Romania but are working as doctors in the US. Michala was holding KIWI They were great as we lots of the other travelers as they explore the world like we are doing! We had lots of laughs and time to share our stories as they day progressed!

The ice holes are really blue!!

Jumping with Cramp ons is a bit tricky, but Ken has the photography for jumping down.

At the end of the glacier trek..... We toast as the glacier tradition. Salud

Whiskey with thousnd year old ice

Thanks to Diana, I have some photos of myself enjoying the experience!

The lovely Dick and Diana!! We have had a great time getting to know each other !!

We have ridden well together, enjoyed conversations, meals and riding together!!

Just a couple more of the glacier.It was too cool!

Another great day on the road, I mean Glacier!!

After a great day riding..... We got back to the Hotel, but I noticed a group of riders at the gas pump...... So I wandered over to say hello!
Meet Chuck and his sons who are from Seattle!! They are down riding for a few weeks finishing up some places they missed after a 2009 ride!

Pleasure meeting you guys. I will be in touch!

Radioman screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 02:38 AM