User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Vetter streamliner body kit

Craig Vetter is calling for a show of hands of interest for his streamlined motorcycle body work kit which is now in the final stages of pre production.
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2012-St...r-p61-kit.html
Several years of real world testing have proven 100 mpgUS at 70 mph on a first gen Ninja250 which can be purchased used for $1000. Better cams for the Ninja or a more efficient bike like a CBR250R or 125R could do considerably better on fuel. Streamlining will make an electric bike go much farther also.
Warm, dry, steady and quiet in buffeting winds. And locking storage for 100+ liters of gear or groceries. Use the full tail for the best aerodynamics or truncate the shape behind the rear wheel for easier parking in the garage.
Every commuter or world traveler that is fit enough to ride needs one of these to help save our remaining resources.
Build a Vetter streamliner and help spread the word.

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,383
Building something along those lines has always been a back-of-the-mind project for me. Looks kinda goofy but it would be the ultimate commuter bike. I would be interested but unfortunately I wouldn't be in a position to purchase one for at least a couple of years. Still, I really like the idea and I've always been a fan of Vetter's work to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of motorcycles. In about 2-3 years once I am finally done with my education and have (hopefully) a solid job, I'd be all over that kit for a CBR250.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Interesting. I had been thinking of the design for making a more efficient Honda Helix. When I started digging into hypermiling motorcycles, no surprise--there was Craig Vetter with that design on a Helix.

I'm probably out since my riding isn't suited to the benefits of that fairing. My commute is 10 miles with 55 MPH speeds between stop lights. If I did commute by motorcycle, all the benefits of the streamlining are lost by repeatedly accelerating the extra mass from each stop.

I have to question how many he can sell if it's a generic body kit without model-specific mounts or wheel cutouts. I could adapt or fabricate just about anything but, not everybody has that ability. Installing a Windjammer (with the kit) was sometimes beyond the skills of the average owner.

The Windjammer went somewhere because a bazillion people had the CB750 and he made a mount for it. That made the Z1, Gold Wing, BMW and Guzzi mounts possible. At VERY least, he would need a kit to fit all the Helix scooters out there...or one (or more) of the other mondo-scooters. There HAS to be a specific model for this kit or it just won't fly.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post

I have to question how many he can sell if it's a generic body kit without model-specific mounts or wheel cutouts. I could adapt or fabricate just about anything but, not everybody has that ability. Installing a Windjammer (with the kit) was sometimes beyond the skills of the average owner.

The Windjammer went somewhere because a bazillion people had the CB750 and he made a mount for it. That made the Z1, Gold Wing, BMW and Guzzi mounts possible. At VERY least, he would need a kit to fit all the Helix scooters out there...or one (or more) of the other mondo-scooters. There HAS to be a specific model for this kit or it just won't fly.
Well, it has also been applied to a 250 Ninja. So it doesn't HAVE to be model or make specific. That was the point in making it adaptable
to other bikes. I intend to get a kit (or 2) for one (or 2) of my Honda Reflex scooters. And you are right to a certain degree that it will take
more than just "bolt on" skills to mount it. But I think the thing that may stifle sales is the initial price he has tentatively proposed. In a
letter to him (not yet sent because I'm still working on it) I point this out. And the fact that the "kit" will cost as much or more than what
I already paid for some of my scooters. (granted, I got them off of ebay, but still, several $$$ for sure) Recouping that cost on fuel savings
would take a VERY long time. (if ever) But it would represent ownership in a piece of motorcycling history and may prove (in time) of value
to some collectors. (maybe) That could be if it turns out to be somewhat of a limited production run. (likely IMO) Large scale production
runs with simpler "bolt on" ability to several kinds of bikes would probably have wider appeal, much like the Windjammer. but I don't think
that is what he has in mind. He has stated on the website that he has taken the design as far as he is going to. Still, it is so different than
anything else out there, a real head turner. I'm in.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Well, it has also been applied to a 250 Ninja. So it doesn't HAVE to be model or make specific. That was the point in making it adaptable to other bikes.
The issue surrounds the height of the front end. If it was fitted to a Ninja 250 or any other traditional motorcycle frame, something HAD to be modified in the nose of the bodywork. I don't think normal size motorcycle wheels and forks will fit under that nose (as it's shown). The profile seems too sloped and the larger the wheel diameter, the more material has to be cut away to allow the wheel to swing in there. That's what leads me to believe fitting it to a regular motorcycle will be harder than a scooter.

I'm with you on all points: initial cost, future collectibility, exclusivity, etc. I'm a big fan of Craig Vetter and all that he's done in motorcycling over the years. It would be cool. I have to admit that this very streamliner had me fantasizing about a similar build just a few short months ago. It just doesn't fit my current riding lifestyle and would take up too much room in my dwindling storage space.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Kinda' reminds me of the Jacwal Superwedge:
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...wedge-fairing/

Bates also had competition for the ubiquitous Windjammer.

Craig Vetter has had some winners over the years...and some not quite so much. I wish I could find a picture of the fugly thing he came up with for Harleys. It was a gold-painted, giant fiberglass fairing for the dressers that was done up as eagle feathers. It had a motorized windscreen and deflectors built into it. If I found one, I'd buy it just because I think I'd have the only one still in existence.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
If it was fitted to a Ninja 250 .
All of the current design work was done on a Ninja250 because used bikes are so plentiful and cheap. Only afterwards did Vetter fit these final parts onto his scooter. Read all about at the link. He has basically written a book, documenting the entire process at craigvetter.com.

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Kinda' reminds me of the Jacwal Superwedge:

I wish I could find a picture of the fugly thing he came up with for Harleys. It was a gold-painted, giant fiberglass fairing for the dressers that was done up as eagle feathers. It had a motorized windscreen and deflectors built into it. I
I remember seeing the Superwedge and hearing people run it down as ugly. But , I thought , It's not there for pretty , it's there to help part the air and looks to do a good job of that.

And I remember reading what Craig said of the feathered fairing with the movable sections.
"I just wanted to build a fairing that flared." I took it to be his jab at the mouth breathers through the years that called fairings -flarings.
Good luck finding one, it's doubtful many were sold.
"
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

The FLAIRING! That's it!

Can't find a damn thing on the entire internet. He registered the trademark but, nothing else out there. As you wrote: must not have sold many.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
The FLAIRING! That's it!

Can't find a damn thing on the entire internet. He registered the trademark but, nothing else out there. As you wrote: must not have sold many.
Is this it?

I remember it 'cause he remarked that he was inspired by the "wings" worn by aircrew.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
It is not about gas mileage or return on investment.

It's a Motorcycle
Love them or leave them !!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,267
He's creative. Twist 'n go Sportster scooter.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2011-%2...o-results.html

I remember finding this when looking for NX250 info, the streamliner NX got 157mpg. My stock NX got about 75 when I was whipping it on a daily commute.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2011-%2...o-results.html

I remember finding this when looking for NX250 info, the streamliner NX got 157mpg. My stock NX got about 75 when I was whipping it on a daily commute.
That NX is impressive, and it even still looks half-decent. I'd commute on that for sure.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,330
Certainly and interesting craft but I wonder what heavy side winds or the draft from a big semi would do to it. Great High School Science project but not sure if Id use a small diesel engine or go electric.

Kamala screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:30 PM
Kamala is offline   Reply With Quote