Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #61
thumperbuddy
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
I dont like stoves that require a bottle for liquid gas.
1. adds weight/bulk
2. you have to pump them up and keep them pressurized.

They arent as versatile as liguid gas stoves, but I still prefer a canister fueled stove over a liquid gas one. Check out the Optimus Crux. Basically the same operation as an MSR Pocket Rocket, but higher quality, lighter weight, and, it fits into the concave base of a fuel canister for storage. Oh, and it boils a liter of water in around 2 minutes!

For backpacking, I like a combination as follows: Optimus Crux stove and a 4 oz fuel canister (generally a Snow Peak GIgaPower). Both fit into a Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium pot. If its a longer trip, I might take along one extra 8 oz canister.

I feel that a canister stove is superior, and i especially like the Crux for its light weight and size. If you're trip will take you past civilization, ANY store that sells camping or outdoor supplies will have canisters, and therefore you won't have to take extras with you.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #62
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,827
Another vote for the Svea 123. Mine is a youngster and has only been around 30 years or so. Never has failed me. Have a whisperlite that I thought would replace it but never did.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #63
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbuddy View Post
I dont like stoves that require a bottle for liquid gas.
1. adds weight/bulk
2. you have to pump them up and keep them pressurized.

They arent as versatile as liguid gas stoves, but I still prefer a canister fueled stove over a liquid gas one. Check out the Optimus Crux. Basically the same operation as an MSR Pocket Rocket, but higher quality, lighter weight, and, it fits into the concave base of a fuel canister for storage. Oh, and it boils a liter of water in around 2 minutes!

For backpacking, I like a combination as follows: Optimus Crux stove and a 4 oz fuel canister (generally a Snow Peak GIgaPower). Both fit into a Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium pot. If its a longer trip, I might take along one extra 8 oz canister.

I feel that a canister stove is superior, and i especially like the Crux for its light weight and size. If you're trip will take you past civilization, ANY store that sells camping or outdoor supplies will have canisters, and therefore you won't have to take extras with you.
Added weight? How so? A gasoline fired stove can be fueled from your bike's tank every night and poured back into the tank after the morning cooking is done. On a carb'd bike, crack the float bowl drain and fill the bottle. On a fuel injected bike, unplug your low pressure return and fill with the fuel pump.

Added bulk? Either a pressurized gas or liquid stove needs a fuel container. There are many solutions for carrying the fuel bottle on the exterior of the bike. AFAIK, there are no options to carry a pressurized gas can on the exterior.

Pumping? Thats not really a big deal. My XGK holds pressure quite well, despite being 15 years old. 30 strokes while the generator tube is priming will provide more than enough pressure to cook both a meal and hot water for cleanup.

My backpacking trips occur in the winter months, a stove failure is somewhat more than an inconvenience when its below 0f. The XGK fires the first time, every time in those conditions.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #64
thumperbuddy
Outdoorsman?

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Added weight? How so? A gasoline fired stove can be fueled from your bike's tank every night and poured back into the tank after the morning cooking is done. On a carb'd bike, crack the float bowl drain and fill the bottle. On a fuel injected bike, unplug your low pressure return and fill with the fuel pump.

Added bulk? Either a pressurized gas or liquid stove needs a fuel container. There are many solutions for carrying the fuel bottle on the exterior of the bike. AFAIK, there are no options to carry a pressurized gas can on the exterior.

Pumping? Thats not really a big deal. My XGK holds pressure quite well, despite being 15 years old. 30 strokes while the generator tube is priming will provide more than enough pressure to cook both a meal and hot water for cleanup.

My backpacking trips occur in the winter months, a stove failure is somewhat more than an inconvenience when its below 0f. The XGK fires the first time, every time in those conditions.

Very good points. As far as weight, a pressurized gas STOVE tends to be lighter than its liquid gas counterpart. Also, a brand new, completely full pressurized canister weighs ~4 oz. Add 2 oz for the Optimus Crux stove.

My MSR 32 oz liquid fuel bottle EMPTY weighs 6 oz. So even if you used fuel from your bike, a stove and pressurized fuel weighs the same as just the bottle for a liquid gas stove.

As far as strapping a can to the bike's exterior, I agree that the cylindrical liquid bottle is easier to attach. The canisters are pretty small and can be stuffed just about everywhere, but that goes for both systems. However, my personal prefered system allows me to store my fuel and stove inside my cooking pot, with a bit of room left over for, say, some cutlery or perhaps some spices in bags. Assuming you use the same cooking pot for both types of stove, the pressurized stove saves room.

Pumping isnt really a big deal, I guess my point with the original post was that canister stoves are much simpler to use. Screw on stove, open valve, light.

Liquid stoves are more versatile and reliable, but when I'm winter backpacking (or 'shoeing), I'll more than likely be making a fire, and when I do, I can simply place my fuel canister next to the fire (SAFELY!) to warm it enough to start. If i'll need the stove in the morning, I'll simply keep the canister between my bivy and sleeping bag, sleeping bag and liner, etc.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. For backpacking, I'd take the canister stove for convenience and weight. On a bike, it depends, but I'd probably still lean toward the canister stove just because it fits into its own pot with fuel and that's a pretty big space-saver. Just my opinion.
thumperbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #65
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,153
I use this cheap canister stove. It fits on a standard Jetboil sized compressed gas canister.

I used it for a two week trip, a few 2-3 day trips, and many day trips. It has worked flawlessly so far and is very compact. It may not be the best stove available, but for under $10, it's hard to beat it for the money.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #66
marksgone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
MSR Whisperlite. It aint no whisper (think afterburner) but runs on readlily available fuel anywhere on the planet, inexpensive, easily serviced, packs small and can cook all night long. Downside, dirty, takes a while to get the hang of and not as sexy looking as some of the flash jetboils (but thats ok, I'm cooking not pickin up chicks!). Had mine for years, bicycle journeys through central america, eastern europe and oz and taken it bushwalking more times than I can remember. Starts every time!
marksgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #67
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
this is how I do it

and it all fits into this bag
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #68
Iggster
Tornanti über alles!

Oddometer: 74
MSR WhisperLite International

I have been using a MSR WhisperLite International since 1996 on backpacking/camping trips. It will run on any type of fuel. I have almost always used white gas but have had to use gasoline one time. I have cleaned it once in 16 years and it has performed flawlessly every time. I hope to use it for another 16 years!
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #69
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
I have been using a MSR WhisperLite International since 1996 on backpacking/camping trips. It will run on any type of fuel. I have almost always used white gas but have had to use gasoline one time. I have cleaned it once in 16 years and it has performed flawlessly every time. I hope to use it for another 16 years!
+10
I bought mine in 96. I bought another one at a garage sale 5 years ago, but sold it because I realize the first one is never going to wear out. I've got the international version that'll burn gasoline, camping fuel, and yes, once, even diesel. the bottles fit into a bicycle water bottle holder and are strapped in.The mounts attach to hard luggage nicely. Nothing boils water faster, especially when it is cold out.
Best of all, there is absolutely NO waste.
Oh, and CHEAP to run.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #70
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,421
MSR WhisperLite International It's the only stove we have had! And we keep the tank full of Non-Ethanol Super Unleaded... Works great in the stove as well as the bikes!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #71
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Background: stove user since about 1967, canoe/whitewater raft/camping gear rental company owner since 1996. Lots of experience with stoves, and the luxury of turning them over and trying new ones. They're all mostly pretty good, and a lot is preference, familiarity, and whether you have a specific purpose, like needing to melt lots of snow.

That said, most MSR products I've used have been pretty bulletproof, even the ones that didn't simmer, or sounded like a jet. I still use an old Whisperlite myself, and rent some MSR.

If people want to stick to an older model stove and it works for them, great. They do wear out, though, and you might be surprised that modern stoves are usually an improvement.

I'm currently using a Primus Gravity II Multi-Fuel, which burns white gas, regular auto gas, kerosene, parafin (sure wouldn't want to) and can use LP cannisters. Leave the parts behind that you don't intend to use. Expensive, but so far, worth it. This stove is in the rental gear, people like it.

I also use an MSR Pocket Rocket, but often put it on a Brunton stove stand, which makes it more convenient, stable, etc. Not suitable for my rental clients (need more stove usually), but for personal motorcycling, it's tiny, works fine. That and a small GSI cookset and it's all good for personal use.

Third stove I'm using right now is a Primus Classic Trail, simple, cheap cannister stove that works fine. Have to say that where LP cannisters are available and recyclable, I'm liking them. I've also gotten lazy. For a remote trip, I'd use gas (someone noted you can use gas from your bike), where I can get cans, I use them.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #72
draglemmag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Sold on Jetboil

I'm sold on my Jetboil...been using it on long trips (5 days to two weeks) for five years without issue and have used it in rain and wind (aluminum foil "skirt" shield). I have prepared everything from numerous variities of freeze-dried food (which I find quite tasty...chicken and mexican rice, sweet and sour pork,scrambled eggs and bacon) to frying up chicken breast and vegetables to steak and sauteed mushrooms. I've cooked canned meals like soup, chili or stew by placing a small rock in the bottom of the pan, placing the opened can of food on top of the rock and then filling the pan with water to just below the can lip. Then I crank it up and let the water boil around the can and in a few short minutes, wallaaa. It has a french press device for coffee that works great in the morning when your rushing to break camp and get going. I can always find a camping/grocery store to get food so don't carry more then coffee, honey, olive oil, tabasco, salt/pepper. I did a 10 day trip in September and camped 7 of those days...used it every morning and night and emptied one can of fuel. Everything fits neatly in the cannister including the fuel can. Very rugged too and dosen't have all those little parts to manage. Great camp tool...I love it.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #73
ktmman
Adventure Dood

Oddometer: 7
Cool2 Msr

I have had my XGK MSR for 5 years now, many many trips under its belt and it has never let me down... in all types of weather.. Ive used it in near 50deg on the Gunbarrel hwy and also at "dam near freeze your ass off" always reliable.
ktmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #74
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
+1 for MSR products. I have one of the originals (pre-multifuel, whitegas only) that is 35 years old and still works like a champ.
vtduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #75
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtduc View Post
+1 for MSR products. I have one of the originals (pre-multifuel, whitegas only) that is 35 years old and still works like a champ.
And the best part? A $35 pump/valve assembly will replace all the wear parts in the stove. I just gave my XGK II a new pump/valve, after ~25 years, it was nearly time. It comes up to pressure faster now and shuts down a bit sooner.