Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Not Mulholland but this has to suck

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #543
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,325
Man I wonder what the back story to that clip is. Shooting a commercial? Showing off while a friend filmed? The camera person was in exactly the correct position, correct angle, correct lighting, correct zoom and focus....wasn't a coincidence. Also love to how bad the sailboat and rider were damaged.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #544
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
fucking assholes in mullholand cannot drive for fucking shit

and the ones on bikes cannot fathom parking away from the roadway
I am just wondering, what is everybody's opinion on this.

It is generally accepted that cars can outcorner bikes right? Like on a racetrack where you have full use of the lane.

But what about on a public road, standard width lane? Do you think bikes especially sportbikes can take corners at higher speeds than cars, IF they both have to stay fully within their lane?

I see a lot of cars not just here, but also deals gap, and other places that cannot seem to take a corner at a decent speed, while maintaining proper lane position, and a lot of these are sport cars too, Miata's, Camaro's, 350Z's etc...

I think a bike can go faster in general since he can move around within his lane.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #545
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I am just wondering, what is everybody's opinion on this.

It is generally accepted that cars can outcorner bikes right? Like on a racetrack where you have full use of the lane.

But what about on a public road, standard width lane? Do you think bikes especially sportbikes can take corners at higher speeds than cars, IF they both have to stay fully within their lane?

I see a lot of cars not just here, but also deals gap, and other places that cannot seem to take a corner at a decent speed, while maintaining proper lane position, and a lot of these are sport cars too, Miata's, Camaro's, 350Z's etc...

I think a bike can go faster in general since he can move around within his lane.

I would think that a lot of drivers cut over the line a bit because they're afraid of the intensity of pushing the limit in the set curve
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #546
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Wrong siders

Too many people in the wrong lane OMG WTF people....
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #547
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
I still think 4 wheels > 2 wheels when it comes to lateral grip. You just see cars out of their lane more because the penalty isn't as high for screwing up un a cage.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #548
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
I still think 4 wheels > 2 wheels when it comes to lateral grip. You just see cars out of their lane more because the penalty isn't as high for screwing up un a cage.
I see your point and do agree that cages have more lateral grip, and the penalty is not as high.

I am basically saying since the average cage is 6' wide and the average bike 2', the bike has 8' to play with in a 10' wide lane where as the cage has 4' and the bike can therefore use that space to straighten the corners a little, which is what the cage wants to do, but can't without coming out of his lane, so he has to stay pretty much on a fixed track.

So with that in mind I am saying the bike can carry more speed into and thru the corner. My opinion of course!

khager screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:25 PM
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #549
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 674
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Man I wonder what the back story to that clip is. Shooting a commercial? Showing off while a friend filmed? The camera person was in exactly the correct position, correct angle, correct lighting, correct zoom and focus....wasn't a coincidence. Also love to how bad the sailboat and rider were damaged.

Good point.

Doubt it was set up as a stunt though...

Sailboat is fine; the bike hit the dock.

Wonder how the bike fared?

Back in the oughts I lived on my sailboat for 4 years in Cali and Vangroovey, and parked above my boat.

I did get my bike down onto the dock, but I used the ramp...

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #550
TinyTrains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
It seems to be shot at least semi-pro. Fluid head tripod, and good camera. I don't know what they were trying to do, but I bet that was not it.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #551
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Not Mulholland but this has to suck

Look very closely at the bike- 2013 FJR. What I've read is it's a french moto journo, having a very, very bad day.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #552
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Look very closely at the bike- 2013 FJR. What I've read is it's a french moto journo, having a very, very bad day.
I did something similar on my KLR once..

..hit a rock that looked like a bush on the side of the trail. Tore the fully loaded saddle bag off and I nearly rode off the other side of the trail down the embankment and into the trees.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #553
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Yup.

"Le journaliste préféré des fans de Moto Journal a chuté dans le Port de Saint Martin pendant un tournage au guidon d'un FJR. Il s'en sort avec seulement un pouce luxé et quelques hématomes."

It says he hurt his thumb, and got a few bruises.

His ego probably suffered the most.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #554
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Well, that'll teach ya to pull the bags off before trying to ride on the docks...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #555
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
I see your point and do agree that cages have more lateral grip, and the penalty is not as high.

I am basically saying since the average cage is 6' wide and the average bike 2', the bike has 8' to play with in a 10' wide lane where as the cage has 4' and the bike can therefore use that space to straighten the corners a little, which is what the cage wants to do, but can't without coming out of his lane, so he has to stay pretty much on a fixed track.

So with that in mind I am saying the bike can carry more speed into and thru the corner. My opinion of course!
I read a 'shootout' in a moto journal years ago putting a then current sportbike up against, IIRC, a Corvette. The bike won the braking, acceleration (OK, physicists out there - it won just acceleration) but the 'vette had the corners.

I find it tough to believe that today's street legal automobiles would prevail over the hottest street legal bikes, though.