ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Laugh 2013 WR450 dual sport build up

2013 Yamaha WR450F Dual Sport Build Thread

Well, here it goes. This is my first attempt at doing a build thread so please be patient!
I recently picked up a new 2013 Yamaha WR450F with the intent of converting it into a dual sport. This will be used primarily to link up sections of dirt and will hopefully be used to cover sections of the TAT in the future.
Here is the bike in its maiden form:

Just an FYI, the 2012 and 2013 models are identical. Previous model years may require different changes than what I have done (such as modifying the stator).
Title/Plate: I am still working on getting the bike fully legal. Once I go through the whole process with the state I will post up on how it all worked out.
So, I have the bike. Time to smoke the ‘ole Visa and start ordering some parts. Here is the pile of boxes I started with:

In the pile you will notice a Baja Designs dual sport kit, Yamaha competition ECU/short throttle stop, Cycra ProBend Hand Guards, and Yamaha GYTR Radiator braces. I chose the Baja Designs kit because I have used them in the past and was happy with their quality and they are fairly complete. The competition ECU is necessary to de-restrict the motorcycle as it comes neutered from the factory so it will comply with California Green Sticker rules. The hand guards are because I have grown accustomed to having all my digits . And, the radiator guards are cheap insurance against bent and leaking radiators (ask me how I know) .
Step 1: De-restrict the bike
There are four main things you need to do to de-restrict this motorcycle. First you install the Yamaha competition ECU (and it comes with the short throttle stop). Yamaha went this route because of the aforementioned CA Green Sticker regulations. Thankfully, the kit is only $99 and is available at your local dealer. It also allows the use of the GYTR tuner which allows you to tune yourself to a standstill (if you are like me) or change many variables related to the fuel injection, timing, etc if you are a competent mechanic! Yamaha has a tech bulletin that outlines the de-restriction process for “closed course competition use only”. Just ask your local Yamaha dealer’s service department to give you a copy. Here is the kit (the throttle stop is under the ECU in the package and not visible):

The ECU is under the left number plate and is easily accessible after a couple of bolts.

The throttle stop was probably the biggest pain of this whole process. You can change it without removing the throttle body by loosening everything up and rotating the throttle body so you can get to the bottom of it. You will need a safety torx (the one with the dot in the middle) size S2T25h to get the original out. The allen heads on the intake boots are 4mm. I would suggest a little Loctite when you put the new one in. It’s really just a cover to keep water out and no longer acts as a stop.
Here is a close up of the throttle body:

The two throttle stops side by side:

Next step is to remove the snorkel from the airbox to allow slightly better breathing. Remove the seat and look to the rear of the battery. You will see the snorkel protruding about three inches from the top of the airbox. Remove the 3 phillips head screws holding the silver plate. This will allow the plate and snorkel to be removed. I was not concerned about additional water intrusion as the airbox inlet is already very high.
Here is the snorkel and retaining plate:

Top of the airbox with the snorkel removed:

Finally, remove the insert from the exhaust. First remove the end cap secured with 3mm allen heads. Then I drilled through the rivets(one on each side, 2 total) holding the insert in place with a 7/64 bit. BTW, these little buggers are pretty tough (or my bits are dull) Then I ground the heads off with a grinder. Pull the insert out with needle nose pliers.



That completes the de-restriction process. I will post the other modifications as time allows. Hopefully y’all find this useful!
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014