User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
Agent Wayward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Apologies, not been here for ages.

Yes, these are still available. But they are expensive to send to the US or Australia as a single tyre. 2 tyres makes a big difference.

I have not fitted one to a R1200GS rear, but others have.

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
Dickie
Seasoned Sidecarist

Oddometer: 46
If you need to know which rim size is needed for a tyre, here's an easy checker for you. http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html A 175/55/17 tyre should be mounted on a 5" up to 6.5" rim.
Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
Agent Wayward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
If you need to know which rim size is needed for a tyre, here's an easy checker for you. http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html A 175/55/17 tyre should be mounted on a 5" up to 6.5" rim.
That's the theory.

In practice, fitting a car tyre to a bike rim works out differently. These tyres struggle to fit on anything wider than a 5.5" bike rim and will happily fit much narrower section wheels.

www.motopodd.com
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #34
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,949
Rod - Can you provide the diameter of the tires? I'm pretty sure it would mount on my R12GSA rim, but it's the clearance with the swingarm that has me worried. To spend that much $$$ for the tire and shipping only to find it rubbing, well, let's just say my wife would probably beat me.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #35
Agent Wayward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Rod - Can you provide the diameter of the tires? I'm pretty sure it would mount on my R12GSA rim, but it's the clearance with the swingarm that has me worried. To spend that much $$$ for the tire and shipping only to find it rubbing, well, let's just say my wife would probably beat me.

Pete
No problem, they are 610mm diameter, that's 24" for you guys!

www.motopodd.com
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 353
Group buy?

I have one on my Rocket 3 and planning to order another. Anyone interested in a group buy? It looks like it will be around $250 delivered to GA.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuasurfer View Post
I have one on my Rocket 3 and planning to order another. Anyone interested in a group buy? It looks like it will be around $250 delivered to GA.
Interested, but then I have the expense of shipping from GA to VT.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
To vt!

Unless there are others in VT, willing to drive to York, PA in the next few weeks, or any time!

If shipping to York, PA is a lot cheaper.

If not, I'll split it with you and leave from Barnard when you call.

Greg
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
RF900Hack
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb just got two

Bought two tires from Rod. Five days to SW Ohio.Overall positive experience.
RF900Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
Csemaj
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Need the tire you sell !!!

I have a 2003 K1200RS sidecar tug wearing 185/55R17 rear rubber that i need to replace with the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 175/55R17 tire you can ship to the USA, please.

Contact me at cal.pounds@gmail.com to arrange the sale.

Thanks,

Cal (Csemaj)
Csemaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
Subrosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Anybody out there still discussing this topic?

Hello all. I've been stealing all your thoughts for years and just too lazy to sign up. Well I took the big jump last night did it.

I know the above conversation occurred in 2012, but did y'all ever find any resolution. In particular, is there a way to mount a car tire on my stock 2005 R1200 GS 17" spoked wheel? Or will a 17" car tire mounted on an aluminum or steel car wheel be made to fit?

I'm tugging a Dnepr sidecar that Bob of Texas Sidecars mounted for me with DMC Jay's mounting gear. And I've got a Heidenau on the bike now...and it only took 3000 miles to bring the steel belts to the surface.

I ain't crazy about the look of a smaller tire/wheel setup.

Also while on the subject, anybody got any suggestions about front fork conversions? It rides pretty well now, but at 70 it wears me out with the pull to the right getting progressively stronger the faster I go. And once I put the windshield on the boat the resistance got even stronger.

Ok, I'm firing off my first post. Hope y'all are out there.
Subrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrosa View Post
Hello all. I've been stealing all your thoughts for years and just too lazy to sign up. Well I took the big jump last night did it.

I know the above conversation occurred in 2012, but did y'all ever find any resolution. In particular, is there a way to mount a car tire on my stock 2005 R1200 GS 17" spoked wheel? Or will a 17" car tire mounted on an aluminum or steel car wheel be made to fit?

I'm tugging a Dnepr sidecar that Bob of Texas Sidecars mounted for me with DMC Jay's mounting gear. And I've got a Heidenau on the bike now...and it only took 3000 miles to bring the steel belts to the surface.

I ain't crazy about the look of a smaller tire/wheel setup.

Also while on the subject, anybody got any suggestions about front fork conversions? It rides pretty well now, but at 70 it wears me out with the pull to the right getting progressively stronger the faster I go. And once I put the windshield on the boat the resistance got even stronger.

Ok, I'm firing off my first post. Hope y'all are out there.
Since you're a member now, you can use the Private Message system to contact other inmates directly about this. I'd start with Boondox--he prolly knows. Also BMWZenRider is an excellent source. Also, try DHoladay.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #43
Csemaj
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Found 'em in the USA... supposedly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331144798462...84.m1423.l2649

Tire price is $66.51 with free std shipping in the USA. Above is a URL for an eBay seller in the USA has that tire. I was assured by seller that it is, indeed, 17" and NOT 16" as had been mistakenly advertised by another seller. Check for yourself before ordering, however. This works to replace a 180/55/17 motorcycle tire for a 5.0", 5.5", or 6" rim.

Fits the rear of BMW K-bikes running the 180/55/17 and, supposedly, clears the radius curve of their single swingarm, too.

I have a BMW K1200RS w/Hannigan sidecar and it is a breeze for steering at any cruise speed I have done up to to 75MPH because it has electric camber control that raises/lowers the outboard chair wheel by a range of about 4.5 to 5". See if there is a way to adapt such to your sidecar and your constant pull just to go straight will disappear. I'm 65 years old and getting too lazy to work so hard just to cruise straight down the road.
Csemaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #44
the1mavin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Any chance you have a different URL? This one is showing "This page may have moved or is no longer available".

Thanks

Found it I think -- Tire on eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csemaj View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331144798462...84.m1423.l2649

Tire price is $66.51 with free std shipping in the USA. Above is a URL for an eBay seller in the USA has that tire. I was assured by seller that it is, indeed, 17" and NOT 16" as had been mistakenly advertised by another seller. Check for yourself before ordering, however. This works to replace a 180/55/17 motorcycle tire for a 5.0", 5.5", or 6" rim.

Fits the rear of BMW K-bikes running the 180/55/17 and, supposedly, clears the radius curve of their single swingarm, too.

I have a BMW K1200RS w/Hannigan sidecar and it is a breeze for steering at any cruise speed I have done up to to 75MPH because it has electric camber control that raises/lowers the outboard chair wheel by a range of about 4.5 to 5". See if there is a way to adapt such to your sidecar and your constant pull just to go straight will disappear. I'm 65 years old and getting too lazy to work so hard just to cruise straight down the road.

the1mavin screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 05:03 PM
the1mavin is offline   Reply With Quote