Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #781
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,418
Nice riding with you guys today, even if it was a short one. I will post up a few pictures after I get them edited.

BTW, Julie finally figured out what happened when I totaled the Uly. We were talking about how I used to push that bike a wee bit past what it was intended to do. When Continental released the TKC-80's in 17" sizes, the Uly knew it was in trouble and committed suicide. There you are, mystery solved.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #782
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,100
Thanks for the ride Jeff!! Great to see you and Sky.
We went places that we hadn't been before, some almost single track going up the side of a mountain. Right were you see the trail disappears, it takes a 90 to the left and goes up the hill. Sky and SoPa made it gracefully... I "explored" off the trail a bit. but made it to the top.

SoPa said he hadn't been up here for more than 20 years.

Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 03:04 AM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #783
turbojerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
It was defiantly a little sloppy up there yesterday. I didn’t hit the dirt till midafternoon and pretty much stayed until the rain set in. Still had a good time.

I did pass two other riders heading south on Piney Mountain Ridge Road almost as soon as I headed in. Anyone here?
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #784
JaxObsessed OP

we saw them too... a KLR and a 70s XT500? Both guesses. Me and SoPa rode PMR from 30 up around 1330 +-.
Started to chill off again once the clouds came back
Today and tomorrow are the days.... Just have to deal with the hunters.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #785
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Thanks for the ride Jeff!! Great to see you and Sky.
We went places that we hadn't been before, some almost single track going up the side of a mountain. Right were you see the trail disappears, it takes a 90 to the left and goes up the hill.
Where was this single track bit and that cool old tower?? I dont think I have been there before either, but I would sure like to find it.

Thanks!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #786
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Where was this single track bit and that cool old tower?? I dont think I have been there before either, but I would sure like to find it.

Thanks!
I have been told (by someone that went to Mt Alto collage) to never climb that tower. When you see all the bullet holes in it you will understand
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #787
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
Any chance anyone is heading that way this weekend? Next week is finals, I would love to get a little ride in the woods to set my mind! I'd be on a big pig, but I don't have much in the way of sense, so.....

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #788
Skyclad
Original Bastard

I probably will not be able to make a run next weekend. Doing the flute thing Sunday, and have to do some studying on Saturday.

However, here are some more pictures to whet your Michaux appetite.

That's our intrepid guide, SoPa wondering what the hell is taking me and Jax so long.

As Jax said earlier, there was a bit of a climb to contend with. As usual, nobody got pictures of that part; kind of busy you know. This is what we found on top of the climb.

Then it was back to the horrible forest roads of Michaux SF. Why do we even bother?

Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #789
JaxObsessed OP

OH man, Great images!! Well done Sky!

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 03:06 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #790
turbojerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Man! Where in the hell do you guys find these roads?? Def not on the map that I have....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
I probably will not be able to make a run next weekend. Doing the flute thing Sunday, and have to do some studying on Saturday.

However, here are some more pictures to whet your Michaux appetite.

That's our intrepid guide, SoPa wondering what the hell is taking me and Jax so long.

As Jax said earlier, there was a bit of a climb to contend with. As usual, nobody got pictures of that part; kind of busy you know. This is what we found on top of the climb.

Then it was back to the horrible forest roads of Michaux SF. Why do we even bother?

turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #791
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
Wow, Jeff, next spring I am bringing the Husky out .
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #792
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
we saw them too... a KLR and a 70s XT500? Both guesses. Me and SoPa rode PMR from 30 up around 1330 +-.
Started to chill off again once the clouds came back
Today and tomorrow are the days.... Just have to deal with the hunters.
That would have been me on my old faithful '77 XT500 and my friend Carl on his '02 KLR. We were re-running the "South Mountain 130 Dual-Sport Ride" route. Usually when we ride Michaux (or anywhere else for that matter), we never see any other dual-sport folks, was a bit of surprise.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #793
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Ah, but these roads will probably be gated in the spring. They are open for hunting season, and no, they are not on the maps.

The portion that I took picture of is a gated road, off Wirt Road, about 0.5 miles southeast of the intersection with Biesecker Road. The road wraps around the top of Curve Mountain in a counter-clockwise direction.

The tower is Snowy Mountain, again on a normally gate road. That road is actually on the map. I wish that we would have had a map with us, because it is Chimney Rocks Road, which ends at...get ready for it...Chimney Rocks.
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #794
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Great ride on Sunday Jack and Michael. The road that I couldn't remember the name of that turns southeast off of Piney Mountain Ridge Road while heading northeast between Shippensburg Road and Bendersville Road/Pine Grove Furnace Road is Slate Quarry Road, it then runs into Old Railroad Road, after turning left it then runs into Wenksville Road. GoogleMaps have several of the roads above mislabeled in places!

The pictures of the road/two track normally gated trail with no name that I know of, that jdub, Jax and Skyclad posted pictures of, is located off of Wirt Road (some maps show this road as Leaf Road, but the road signs show it as Wirt Road and that is what I've always called it), if you turn left off of Old Forge Road while heading north onto Wirt Road, the road we were on is just short distance before you get to Biesecker Gap Road, both roads are on the left. From what I can tell those two track roads run between Wirt Road, Biesecker Gap Road, Gap Road, (Waynesboro) Fish And Game Road, Masters Road and Polidor Road in the southwestern portion of Michaux. There are quite a few normally gated roads/two track trials that are open throughout Michaux during the fall, they usually get locked up again after this Saturday, the end of antlered deer season.
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #795
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
MZRider/Charlie:

I thought that may have been you, I remember seeing an XT500 that color (Rust & Creme?) on your website a while back, sorry we didn't stop now, brain fade! I rode my wee-strom down your way this afternoon, saw temps ranging from 61 to 71! Happened onto Catoctin Creek Park And Nature Center at 2929 Sumantown Road in Middletown, MD, neat place, looks to be fairly new, there was a white KTM 990 in the parking lot. Just up the road a piece I actually found an unpaved road in Frederick County; Harley Road of all names, 1.3 miles of limestone covered dirt! Headin' back down that way tomorrow on my near virgin (2,222.2 miles), third owner, white '09 DR650, plan to turn it loose on some dirt roads in MD, VA and WV for the first time in it's life and it's even suppost to be warmer yet! JC
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote