Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #61
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 549
Just got them on Saturday, been walking around a bit in them. Bit clunky at first but after a while you don't even notice you have them on. That's untill you think 'let me just push the door open with my foot because I have my hands full' and the doorhandle puts a dent in the wall...

I did however only had normal socks on, and after an hour or 2 the skin on my shin got a bit irritated, put my SIDI socks on that I normally wear and all was well. You definately want to get tall socks for these.

I was cleaning out the motorcycle clothes closet and picked up my old all leather touring boots. The fact you could just twist and flop the ankle totally freaked me out very happy with my Forma's now!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #62
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 264
Boots

I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of the brown Forma Adv boots after talking to Brian on sizes. They came in last week, size 45. I have ordered other pairs of boots from Atomic in just the last couple of years. I wear a 10.5, D width in most tennis shoes.

Gaerne Balance Non oil boots = 44.5 good fit

Gaerne G-Adventure Boots = 46 good fit

Forma Adv boot = 45 too short, sent back

Forma 46 = due in today

The Forma seem to run wide and short

The Atomic gang are always good to work with and I will do buisness with them again.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #63
TriumphJon
Girlie Rider

Oddometer: 15
Thumb Great First Impression...

I picked up a pair of the Forma Adventures from Brian at Atomic Moto a few weeks ago. First of all, Brian @ Atomic was very helpful with sizing and information. I wear a US 8.5 or 9 in almost everything and the size 43 Forma recommended fit perfectly. Shipping was also very quick.

I have had the opportunity to ride a few hundred miles in them now and like them a lot. They started out very "clunky" as I was wearing Sidi Sport Rains before and wanted something more supportive for riding my 955i Tiger off pavement. After a few commutes, they broke in well and shifting is much easier now. I like the added protection over the Sidis and they have been very dry and warm so far. I have ridden in light rain and temps down to 22F and been very comfortable with just smartwool hiking socks. They are also very comfortable to walk around in. I plan on testing them further on a longer 4 day trip to WV before Christmas. I would definitely recommend the Formas and Atomic Moto.

Jon
TriumphJon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #64
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,013
How is the toe box on these with regards to protection? Is it pretty stiff and somewhat crush resistant or is it just the leather supporting the toe area?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #65
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
How is the toe box on these with regards to protection? Is it pretty stiff and somewhat crush resistant or is it just the leather supporting the toe area?
The front 3" - 4" are rigid, supported by both a molded insert inside and the plastic toe protector.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #66
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I pulled the trigger last week and have to say they are awesome. so comfy and stiff (rough) enough for what I do. I really appreciate them and I'm happy to use them this winter.
Well the awesome is gone and I had to sent them back to FORMA.

They still are comfy but my left boot isn't waterproof at all. Even when treated... as said rockinrog before me. Since I had them for just over a month, I think that's unacceptable and sent them back for an other pair. I know I'll probably have the same result but after 3000kms that I did with them, I expect more for my money. In doubt, I give them a chance and think that the left one had a problem with the fabrication or something like that. Since I have 2 year warrenty on them, I think that I'll stock up on stamps to send them back a few times . Good think I didn't toss my old boots in the garbage can.

Cheers,

Loutre - Tom

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #67
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
I'm more impressed with them after three years than I was after three months.

No, they aren't 100% waterproof - leather isn't. Heavy enough rain or deep enough water crossings and you'll get damp feet. Not wet feet unless water gets down the top, but damp yes. Light rain or a short time exposure like a few shallow water crossings, not a problem.

The pluses - comfortable comfortable comfortable. Very good protection for a boot you can actually walk comfortably in. Great hot weather boot.

Pete

PeterW screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:16 PM
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #68
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Confused on sizing

So my wife ordered me a pair of these last week. We ordered them on the Atomic Moto web site, and in the sizing drop down menu it listed a 44 EU/9.5 US...I'm a US 9.5, so that's what we ordered. I received a pair of boots that have EU44 in the boot, but US10 on the box...and just to confuse things further, I went on the Forma site to look at their sizing chart, and they list a US9 as EU42, US10 as EU43, and US10.5 as EU44.

These feel a little bit big on me. If I was in a store with a selection on the shelf, I would be trying on smaller sizes to see what felt best.

What gives? Are true US9.5 not available? Is the Atomic Moto drop down menu inaccurate?

I really like the boot, but I was hoping to finally be in a quality pair of boots that fit me correctly.

Thanks in advance.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
So my wife ordered me a pair of these last week. We ordered them on the Atomic Moto web site, and in the sizing drop down menu it listed a 44 EU/9.5 US...I'm a US 9.5, so that's what we ordered. I received a pair of boots that have EU44 in the boot, but US10 on the box...and just to confuse things further, I went on the Forma site to look at their sizing chart, and they list a US9 as EU42, US10 as EU43, and US10.5 as EU44.

These feel a little bit big on me. If I was in a store with a selection on the shelf, I would be trying on smaller sizes to see what felt best.

What gives? Are true US9.5 not available? Is the Atomic Moto drop down menu inaccurate?

I really like the boot, but I was hoping to finally be in a quality pair of boots that fit me correctly.

Thanks in advance.
What did AtomicMoto tell you or have you out contacted them. They are normally pretty responsive.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #70
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

They've been pretty active in this thread...I was hoping they would pipe in here (figured it might help someone else out too).

Just received them this afternoon, and tried them on an hour ago...then I saw the size on the box.
09 TE450
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #71
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Gentlemen,

Thanks for noting that we are active in this thread. We are hands on with this particular boot model also, hopefully I can offer some insight.

First, the size chart:

OK, if you look at the chart, there is a US conversion and an Australian conversion. When we first started selling these, we pulled each size, brought in several fit testers, and did some comparison with other boots we sell. What we found is that the "US MENS" size, which was created by Forma Italy, is off. We contacted the importer, who also owns / runs Forma Australia, and who created the AUSSIE MENS chart. They confirmed our findings, which is why they created their own conversion. They have had better, more accurate results with their conversion, and so have we.

Because of this, we use the Aussie conversion instead of the US one, with one additional modification: we feel the size 49 is bigger than the Aus connversion (13.5) and smaller than the Italy / US MENS one (15).

Second, fit: in simplest terms, these boots are wide and slightly stubby. When customer returns are "too small", they are more often because the boots are too short, rather than insufficiently wide. More on this later.

For comparison, Gaerne, who IMO make the best fitting boots sold, CONVERTS their boots as follows:
8 US > 42 EU
9 US > 43 EU
10 US > 44.5 EU
11 US > 46 EU
12 US > 47 EU
13 US > 48 EU

For reference, a Forma Adventure 44 is shorter than a Gaerne 10 (which is a 44.5). A Gaerne 49 is bigger than a Forma 49. Catch that?

Third, there is a "human factors" element to any discussion of sizing. I am fairly consistently a size 12....but I am certain that I am not a perfect 99th percentile size 12. There are huge variances in shape, volume, protrusion, etc with every individual. Some grains of salt must be taken whenever we say "I am a size ___". This does not mean that you are not a size 9.5...but we have dozens of size 9.5 customers, and I doubt any two of them are alike.

Bob, to your questions: noted that the boots you have are a little loose. The first thing to do is to check the label for several of your size 9.5 casual, athletic, or hiking shoes (not moto boots) shoes for the EU size (not US size). My bet is that most of them are 43s, and maybe even some 42.5s. It would be great if you passed on what shoe brands / models used for this.

If most of them are 43s, you can possibly size down. If you have 43.5s and 44s, sizing down to a 43 will likely result in the boots not being long enough.

Usually it is more effective to wear a slightly larger boot and add a footbed than to size down. If your EU average size is 43.5 or bigger, you would probably get where you want to be with some thicker performance footbeds in your 44s. They lift your foot up in the foot chamber, into the taper, and have the effect of reducing the size. The best ones IMO are Montrail Enduro Orange, Superfeet green, and Superfeet orange. You can also stack a couple pair from your other shoes in there if you want to test this at home for free.

I am in and out this evening, but will try to watch this thread and reply. Let me know what you find.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:13 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #72
shu

Oddometer: 969
I like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Well the awesome is gone and I had to sent them back to FORMA.

They still are comfy but my left boot isn't waterproof at all. Even when treated... as said rockinrog before me. Since I had them for just over a month, I think that's unacceptable and sent them back for an other pair. I know I'll probably have the same result but after 3000kms that I did with them, I expect more for my money.
I'd guess that if your right boot stayed dry while the left one leaked you just had a defective boot and the new pair will work.

Mine are waterproof so far. Tested during a rainy 4 day ride in Western Colorado last fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post

No, they aren't 100% waterproof - leather isn't. Heavy enough rain or deep enough water crossings and you'll get damp feet. Not wet feet unless water gets down the top, but damp yes. Light rain or a short time exposure like a few shallow water crossings, not a problem.
The waterproofing is a waterproof/breathable liner, not the leather outer. The leather may get wet and restrict some of the breathability- then your feet may get damp from sweating.

I've stood in deep puddles in mine with no leakage. No doubt water will come over the top if you stand in a creek, and it's true that the waterproof gusset is only about nine inches tall even though the boot itself is about 15 inches tall.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #73
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Our test pair passed 60 mins at 4+" of water.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #74
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I like mine.

I'd guess that if your right boot stayed dry while the left one leaked you just had a defective boot and the new pair will work.

Mine are waterproof so far. Tested during a rainy 4 day ride in Western Colorado last fall.

The waterproofing is a waterproof/breathable liner, not the leather outer. The leather may get wet and restrict some of the breathability- then your feet may get damp from sweating.

I've stood in deep puddles in mine with no leakage. No doubt water will come over the top if you stand in a creek, and it's true that the waterproof gusset is only about nine inches tall even though the boot itself is about 15 inches tall.

..........shu
Don't forget that you use your left foot to cycle through gears. By doing so, you're kinda "pumping" water through the breathable liner and inside the boot.

I'm not saying that it's what cause Loutre's left foot to become wet and it's not supposed to turn a waterproof boot into a strainer though.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #75
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Thanks BP, and thanks for the quick reply and taking the time to share with us

I've never paid any attention to my Euro boot sizing before, so I was a bit surprised when I looked at my boots.

-Brand new pair of Keen 8" insulated/safety toe work boots in US9.5/EU42.5...tight at first, but broke in and are super comfortable after the first few hours (I buy insulated a little tight to account for the insulation "packing")

-Retired pair of Keen safety toe hiking boots (no insulation) US10/EU43...slightly larger size fit my thick smart wool socks better, and they always fit well with thick socks, and a little loose but comfortable in summer socks.

-Merrell hiking boot in US9.5/EU43.5...best fitting/most comfortable shoe I own, bordering on tight with thick socks, but in a very comfortable/secure way

-Ordered US9.5 (didn't pay attention to the EU sizing) Forma...received US10. EU44 is the size in the boot, US10 on the box. They feel a little loose (like I would try the next closest size down), but snug up and feel mostly ok with a fairly thin insole/insert.

Wow...what gives with the EU/US sizing all over the place...? Doesn't seem like any boot manufacturer can get it right
09 TE450