Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I'm not particularily short (6' 1-1/2" on a good day), but my age and some injuries has left me not quite "weak," but we're not far from it. That's the very reason I decided to get the extensions for my Panther. If you ride a bike up (yeah I know, a no-no), you have no where to plant a foot.... except another X inches down to the floor. In addition, there is really not enough width to set the sidestand pad until you get the bike situated in the vise. Found that out when I put my KLR up just to try it out. I've also ordered a roll of abrasive non-slip material to put in strategic places on the lift ramp. This will eliminate a wheel (and foot) from trying to slide away from you should it be wet, or you have hit a patch of oil somewhere in the garage. These ramps are coated with a smooth paint, and I know they'll be slick as Hades if not bone dry.
You are correct! I haven't done the non-slip stuff, but me putting a GS up on it can be......interesting. One thing about the slick stuff, you can put the bike on its centerstand, and wiggle the front wheel into the chock. (Not recommended by any safety organization or team of liability lawyers)

Looking at a link above, I bought mine from Greg Smith Eq. in Indy. They have a pretty nice store there, everything on display.

Myself, looking at even the new improved Harbor Freight lift.... I couldn't do it. Maybe for a small bike, but my chrome and lard encrusted Harley, or a larded up big Bavarian sauerkraut burner..... no.

mark883 screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 07:28 AM Reason: more info.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
There are actually coupons readily available in various magazines listing the lift for $279. That's what spurred me to getting mine.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
You are correct! I haven't done the non-slip stuff, but me putting a GS up on it can be......interesting. One thing about the slick stuff, you can put the bike on its centerstand, and wiggle the front wheel into the chock. (Not recommended by any safety organization or team of liability lawyers)

Looking at a link above, I bought mine from Greg Smith Eq. in Indy. They have a pretty nice store there, everything on display.

Myself, looking at even the new improved Harbor Freight lift.... I couldn't do it. Maybe for a small bike, but my chrome and lard encrusted Harley, or a larded up big Bavarian sauerkraut burner..... no.
Northern Tool has those abrasive strips, but they were only 6" wide IIRC, and about $6 a pop. I went ahead and ordered a roll of 12" wide material, which I can use it on my man door steps too.

Ordered from Koffler Sales
Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #19
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Lift Extensions Arrived Yesterday for my Panther Lift

I drilled a couple of holes and relocated two of the tie down points, which originally were about 5 inches behind the ones seen on the main lift pan.

The fit of the extension ramps was a little less than stellar, but t'was nothing a big honkin' hand sledge couldn't fix.

Overall they appear very solid and stable; I'm happy.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Nice! Did you get the extension ranps for an ATV? For normal work on the bike I found that the added width made it harder to access thing, more awkward.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Nice! Did you get the extension ranps for an ATV? For normal work on the bike I found that the added width made it harder to access thing, more awkward.

Jim
Mainly gott'em for ease of getting bike(s) on and off. No real place to plant the side stand while getting the vise clamped up, and tie downs situated.

My Connie's side stand:

Haven't put the lift to real use yet, but the sides are easy enough to slip off should they become a bother once a bike is up and situated.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
Get the HF and don't look back. Yes it's made in China, yes the grease fittings suck. For the price you can't beat it. I love mine between the sale price + 20% off coupon = cheap and functional. Oh yeah the wheel vise sucks too, just buy the wheel chock HF sells and bolt it on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...ift-91764.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

I have one also. lifts my Roadking like no bodys business
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Mainly gott'em for ease of getting bike(s) on and off. No real place to plant the side stand while getting the vise clamped up, and tie downs situated.

My Connie's side stand:

Haven't put the lift to real use yet, but the sides are easy enough to slip off should they become a bother once a bike is up and situated.

Makes sense. That is why I got this:

Ride/push the bike onto it and it stays vertical on its own until I strap it down. I wouldn't just park it lon it, but it is stable enough to hold for a mintue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

The issue with the Connie is the fairing. The bike is fookin' heavy and the fairing sticks out so far that it's difficult to get it up on the ramp and keep it in place while you secure it. The fairing also prevents you from being able to use tie downs on the bars. You have to use extenders around the lower triple tree.

I've also found that due to the heigth of the lift and angle of the ramp, you damn well better commit yourself by getting a good running start to get it all the way up on the level. I damn near dropped the Connie last night getting it up on the lift. That spooked me so I just rode it up. The extensions gave me a place to plant a foot while I go the sidestand down.

I must be getting really "weak," cause I used to put bikes up on ramps all day long back in the old days when I was working at a bike shop.... and not even give it a second thought.

Getting old sucks, I tell you. It sucks!!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #25
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I hear you about the 'old' part! After two attempts to push my ST1300 (fully fueled with 7 gallons) up and onto my HF table, I also gave up and rode it on. A good, sturdy wheel chock helps!
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #26
concours OP
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
Get the HF and don't look back. Yes it's made in China, yes the grease fittings suck. For the price you can't beat it. I love mine between the sale price + 20% off coupon = cheap and functional. Oh yeah the wheel vise sucks too, just buy the wheel chock HF sells and bolt it on.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...ift-91764.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

And after much waffling, I chose the cheap route and did just this yesterday. Tax free in NH and out the door at $319.98 for both pieces. I trimmed the chock back some to make sure it wouldn't foul my efforts under the engine...

The BRASS grease fittings are too close to the adjacent part, I suspect that's the root of all the breakage.

The fabrication is laughably poor.. but at less than $40... it'll have to do.

concours screwed with this post 01-16-2011 at 02:28 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,606
I guess my thought process is this- Why spend $35,000 on my bikes and then cheap out on a lift? My handy lift has been the single best thing I have bought for my garage outside of the bikes themselves.

The Handy lift is made in the US and is built like you expect a bike lift to be built. I don't worry about my bikes when on it. I leave them elevated all the time.

I guess $800 (what I paid for the lift, wheel vice, and shipping a few years back) is cheap for the quality you get. You might be able to work out a deal at a bike show when the vendors are showing their stuff..save on shipping, get a better price, etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
NHPROEQUIP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Titan is an awesome lift

I just found this thread and www.nhproequip.com is US - I realize this may seem a little biased but we carry them for a reason! These are a TREMENDOUSLY good buy - they are affordable, solid and they come with a lot of great features. These lifts have been a huge seller lately (we offer free shipping + no sales tax) . We've never had any returns /dissatisfaction because they are built VERY well. We carry the sdml1000D as well as the xlt in addition to the hdml-1500-xlt. Just wanted to add my $.2!
NHPROEQUIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
NHPROEQUIP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi! Just noticed that the link posted above to our website is incorrect - here is the correct one: http://www.nhproequip.com/p/221/tita...otorcycle-lift

These are solid lifts, we've sold hundreds of them through the years.

On that note, we are offering a free wheel chock with the purchase of a Titan Motorycle Lift. Offer is valid through the month of December 2012. Questions? Call us: 603-234-2612.
NHPROEQUIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
If I felt I needed one and had the room this would be the model I would buy.

I owned the HF unit and while it was nice enough it was also very cheap. The drop away F/R panels in the handy below would be super handy....pun intended
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote