Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #61
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
LOL!
Trouble maker
Yes, the GS is pretty darned quick, for what it is. And a new set of Ohlins or Wilbers would make a huge difference.

But I want a new bike. And I want it to be noticably more nimble than the GS. I love the looks of the Monsters, but honestly, a Hypermotard would handle the tight roads a little better. I just think they're hideous to look at, and the Monster is like a '50s hot rod in the looks department, AND easy to toss around in a very twistie road.

I understand completely. I have the sickness, too.

Sigh.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #62
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Is there any Monster out there that's "good" out of the box?

Is the fueling issue present on all of them?

If I was to buy one, I'd be looking at 620, 695, s2r 800 & 1000,
FI & 2V models only.

I almost bought a SuperSport 1000DS last year.. 2006 with 1500 miles.. :-\

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #63
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Lobby and Hillbillypolac.
You guys just talked me into spending a little on the GS and not getting a Monster. I just need to decide if I'll upgrade the '07, or get a '10-'11 for better mid-range power.

Thanks guys!

That's $10k I can spend on travel instead
Wait .... you're not going to let a little silly common sense into the equation are you?
When you said you want a Monster for the twisties I think you meant to say you need a Monster for the twisties!

Cortez, my little 620 (05) hasn't demonstrated any fueling issues. A good rider would have noticed the bargain suspension
right away, though.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #64
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The Aprilia Shiver?

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #65
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab View Post
Cortez, my little 620 (05) hasn't demonstrated any fueling issues. A good rider would have noticed the bargain suspension right away, though.
I doubt it it's worse then my ex 07 ninja 650, and I'm never pushing the
limits anyways.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #66
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The Aprilia Shiver?

Getouttahere!

Get that thing wet, and it has the worst fueling issue of them all -
it tends to stick to 0 RPM.

I liked the fueling of the Dorsoduro 750 in touring mode though!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #67
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,609
Quote:

Is the fueling issue present on all of them?

If I was to buy one, I'd be looking at 620, 695, s2r 800 & 1000,
FI & 2V models only.

I almost bought a SuperSport 1000DS last year.. 2006 with 1500 miles.. :-\
Let me add some perspective to your question. It seems that Ducatis in general rely on the buyer to accessorize (read 'fix') the shortcomings of the bike as they meet emissions regulations. This especially includes gearing (reducing revs to meet an appropriate db level at 70 mph) as well as emissions (exhaust and its respective performance). While this is not unique to Ducatis, I do believe (okay, I am getting subjective here) that Ducati relies on aftermarket parts to make the bikes rideable in the real world.

This is rideable. Not 'more enjoyable'. I've owned twins and I understand they're not as docile as many I-4s or triples. I also know that any bike benefits from tuning. Ducatis have increasingly NEEDED accessories to make them rideable.

The second fact (and this is legally verified) is that Ducati in no way sent out NHTSA notifications to owners regarding deforming fuel tanks which could leak over the rear cylinder and header. Instead, they chose to evade responsibility and (largely by word of mouth) replace the affected tanks with a same tank made of the same material. If that course of action were Ford, GM or Chrysler, they would have been publicly crucified. Further, in pursuing an aluminum replacement tank from a third party, I find that company has ceased making them altogether. In other words, use a deformed tank and risk what happens because they will have issues give enough time. In North America, the fuel tank problem affected over 50,000 motorcycles including SportClassics, 848s, Streetfighters and Monsters.

Or opt for another motorcycle or manufacturer. See what is happening with the MS and Panigale on Ducatis upper level bikes and I'm thinking they've lost the plot in building reliable bikes. Fueling issues on the early MS is unacceptable with a price at $20k USD.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #68
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Let me add some perspective to your question. It seems that Ducatis in general rely on the buyer to accessorize (read 'fix') the shortcomings of the bike as they meet emissions regulations. This especially includes gearing (reducing revs to meet an appropriate db level at 70 mph) as well as emissions (exhaust and its respective performance). While this is not unique to Ducatis, I do believe (okay, I am getting subjective here) that Ducati relies on aftermarket parts to make the bikes rideable in the real world.

The second fact (and this is legally verified) is that Ducati in no way sent out NHTSA notifications to owners regarding deforming fuel tanks which could leak over the rear cylinder and header. Instead, they chose to evade responsibility and (largely by word of mouth) replace the affected tanks with a same tank made of the same material. In pursuing an aluminum replacement tank from a third party, I find they have ceased making them altogether. In other words, use a deformed tank and risk what happens because they will have issues give enough time. In North America, the fuel tank problem affected over 50,000 motorcycles including SportClassics, 848s, Streetfighters and Monsters.

Or opt for another motorcycle or manufacturer. See what is happening with the MS and Panigale on Ducatis upper level bikes and I'm thinking they've lost the plot in building reliable bikes. Fueling issues on the early MS is unacceptable with a price at $20k USD.
I've been reading about Ducati "stuff" for over 10 years and things don't
seem to change, but I HAVE heard already that the 620 is good "out of the
box", as confirmed above. I don't mind the Termi tax.. if the previous owner
did it already..

I was just wondering if there was any other Duc that has no fueling issues
like that one.

As for the tanks.. we don't have those issues with fuel here in EU.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #69
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,609
Quote:
As for the tanks.. we don't have those issues with fuel here in EU.
From what I hear. . . . you will.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #70
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
2000 or 2001 M900. S model if you can find one is even better because the suspension is adjustable and the swingarm is aluminum (looks nicer). These 2 years of the 900 are fuel injected. The 900 is my favorite Ducati motor.

My 2004 M620 was also good stock. Suspension isn't adjustable though if that matters to ya.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #71
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
2000 or 2001 M900. S model if you can find one is even better because the suspension is adjustable and the swingarm is aluminum (looks nicer). These 2 years of the 900 are fuel injected. The 900 is my favorite Ducati motor.

My 2004 M620 was also good stock. Suspension isn't adjustable though if that matters to ya.
The 900 never blipped on my radar, I assumed it never had FI so I looked elsewhere.

I had a short ride on the s2r 1000 once and was blown away.. but was a pain at low speeds and didn't like cruising at low revs, and I love riding at low revs :-/

Would I get more abuse with a topcase on a monster, or with an sv650 with a Ducati badge? ;)

Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #72
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab View Post
Wait .... you're not going to let a little silly common sense into the equation are you?
When you said you want a Monster for the twisties I think you meant to say you need a Monster for the twisties!
I meant to say "I need a Monster to look at". For the twisties I need something that performs like papushka the dancing bear.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #73
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
The 900 never blipped on my radar, I assumed it never had FI so I looked elsewhere.

I had a short ride on the s2r 1000 once and was blown away.. but was a pain at low speeds and didn't like cruising at low revs, and I love riding at low revs :-/

Would I get more abuse with a topcase on a monster, or with an sv650 with a Ducati badge? ;)
1000 has more power for sure, but the 900 has plenty for a street bike IMO. The 900 is also "lumpier"...feels more like a motorcycle to me, not that the 1000 doesn't though. The main probem with the S2R bikes is the plastic tank (if you have to deal with ethanol fuel...if not then the tank is no biggie).

I've seen quite a few Monsters with top cases. Kills the lines of the bike, but sure makes it easier to live with.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #74
LonerDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
any real reason not to get a Monster?
None that I can think of if you are OK with the ergos. I had a carbied 1995 M900 for several years and loved the lightness and simple air-cooled motor. A real, basic motorcycle (which was what I was looking for at the time). But even at 5'8" the bike felt a little small for me. Replaced it with an ST2 which lets me stretch out a bit but retains much of what I liked about the Monster (the motor and sound, primarily).

Had no fueling issues (carbs, after all), no gas tank issues (steel). Even the valve adjustments are pretty straightforward once you get your head around the concept. Early versions are dirt cheap. Given a bigger garage, I probably would have kept mine.

LonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #75
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 836
Quote:

I was just wondering if there was any other Duc that has no fueling issues
like that one.

I've heard the Diavel is sorted out of the box.