Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #526
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Ersin, slight change in codes...

was:73. Paul (loner) – D3 - KTM450EXC, will donate something, camping at Camp loner (near PSR)

now: 73. Paul (loner) –TR, D0 - KTM450EXC, will donate something, camping at Camp loner (near PSR)

hey, you're always welcome to stay in our camp. thanks paul for your generosity (for the last many years).....

loner, are you thinking of donating your passenger pegs and pillion?....

j/k
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #527
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
#'s 68 amd 69 bill [slugdad] and tim - bt - d3 - wr250 less i throw knobs and the training wheels back on the wee

we'll be coming in weds, that is if anyone cares
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #528
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
hey, you're always welcome to stay in our camp. thanks paul for your generosity (for the last many years).....

loner, are you thinking of donating your passenger pegs and pillion?....

j/k
I'll have to make it something good since I owe you Joel, after coming to the rescue when my truck broke down last year.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #529
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Good News!

I see I'm listed twice:

81. henry (slowpoke) BT3 D3 - gs800

143. henry (slowpoke) TR3 D3 F800GS

You can delete 143 since seniority rules

1 added from the wait list!

Unless there are 2 Henry's named slowpoke that's staying all 3 days with an 800GS...

slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #530
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,359
Wow, this looks like its getting confusing. I am just going to show up with a tent and a fork and hope somebody will show me where to use both.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #531
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
Wow, this looks like its getting confusing. I am just going to show up with a tent and a fork and hope somebody will show me where to use both.
Brian,
Joel does a good job organizing these things, he's a natural. Part of the culture. Everybody gets taken care of like family.

And he has more help this year.

BTW, great job Ersin, organizing all the camping sites. 200 peeps and a lot of rigs is a lot to get situated.

Once we get this out of the way then it's riding plans and who's going where with whom. That way when you get there you're not just lost in a crowd of 200 peeps. And they all take off by 9 in the morning and the place is like a ghost town.

The food is always really good too. Lots of talent in this group, and people to volunteer to help out.

EDIT: Added some ride destination pix on page 1.

browneye screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:46 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #532
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
this sounds awesome. im hoping I'll be able to get my first bike in a few weeks.

ill definitely be practicing what ive learned from the msf class i just took this weekend. id love to be able to make it up to this.

any san diego locals that are willing to coach a total noob on dirt riding?
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #533
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Brian,
Joel does a good job organizing these things, he's a natural. Part of the culture. Everybody gets taken care of like family.

And he has more help this year.

BTW, great job Ersin, organizing all the camping sites. 200 peeps and a lot of rigs is a lot to get situated.

Once we get this out of the way then it's riding plans and who's going where with whom. That way when you get there you're not just lost in a crowd of 200 peeps. And they all take off by 9 in the morning and the place is like a ghost town.

The food is always really good too. Lots of talent in this group, and people to volunteer to help out.

EDIT: Added some ride destination pix on page 1.
Thanks for the good vibes Chris.
Nice pictures. I need to make it to Hunter Mountain and Osborn Cabin this year.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #534
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
Don't forget your moto

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #535
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
this sounds awesome. im hoping I'll be able to get my first bike in a few weeks.

ill definitely be practicing what ive learned from the msf class i just took this weekend. id love to be able to make it up to this.

any san diego locals that are willing to coach a total noob on dirt riding?
PM me when you get your bike and we can spend some time on the local Ramona trails doing some basics before this ride.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #536
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I attended one of Jimmy's course samplers this summer at the KTM rally in Bend. Even thought I've been riding for 35 years; motocross, street, long distance touring, etc, I was amazed at what I could still learn. Or, what was easer after just a pointer or two from Jimmy. Anyway, after that short introduction, I decided to attend one of his 2 day riding classes. Turns out he has a class scheduled for the 23rd & 24th of March, which is just perfect timing as I can attend his class and then I'll have a week to practice in Death Valley

The course still has openings and if a few more big bikes/ADV types sign up, I'm on a KTM 990, the training will be slanted towards those riding styles (Jimmy, hope I stated that correctly.) So, here's your chance to learn off-road skills from one of the best and then have a whole week to practice! How can you say no to that!

Who's IN?

1) Moto-Treks
2)
3)
4)

I'm in no way connected to the Jimmy Lewis Off-road riding school. I just want to take the class with other like minded riders.
I've had a few people ask about the class details. Guess I should have included Jimmy's Site. Check out his class structure here: http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/class-structure/

The more the merrier Now I just need to get my moto put back together

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #537
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
PM me when you get your bike and we can spend some time on the local Ramona trails doing some basics before this ride.

good man!

wanna learn? go to school, watch videos, read magazines, and have a friend show you some basic skills.

sometime mid or last weekend of january, we will do the annual carrizo plains ride. all skill level. after the holidays, check out the l.a. adventure ride thread for details.

folks, continue checking out the front page, post #1 to 6, that's all you need to know. if it's not there, we don't have the deets yet.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #538
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
I've had a few people ask about the class details. Guess I should have included Jimmy's Site. Check out his class structure here: http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/class-structure/

where are you guys staying in pahrump? if there are several of you going, this is a good one.

http://www.stay-at-dars.com/

linky to noobie went to see jimmy......http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=569233&page=5

nice whity, i missed my 950....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #539
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Now I just need to get my moto put back together

This is an extreme example of how to keep the weight of your bike down.

On a semi-serious note, some of the perennial problems that Noobs have on this ride:

1. The bike is too heavy, as the Noob packs the bike with everything that Touratech sells.

2. The bike is too heavy, as the Noob thinks the huge desert tank needs to be completely full of gas for the 100 mile ride.

3. The bike is so heavy when fueled and loaded with luggage that the Noob needs an army to pick up the bike when dropped.

4. The bike spontaneously lightens itself by shaking the things lashed to it with a bungee cord/bungee net/piece of twine/(insert-other-half-assed-method-of-attaching-things-to-a-bike-here) as you ride the bumpy, rocky, and washboarded trails of Death Valley.

5. The bike continues to spontaneously lighten itself by randomly ejecting fasteners.

6. The Noob's tank bag is big enough to fit the contents from the trunk of a mob-driven 1973 Cadillac will not allow the Noob to stand up in the correct position for riding off-road.

7. The bike is in fine shape and can handle the trail conditions and long hours, but the Noob behind the handlebars is physically spent and mentally spent before lunchtime.

8. Those of us leading and sweeping rides understand that Noobs are excited to go see cool stuff and get off of the pavement, but we aren't a concierge service on the trail.

A few solutions:
1. Bring what you need to keep you and your bike going. Tools should be limited to tire tools and tools for general fasteners that can be used in a quick roadside repair, not every tool that you would need to completely disassemble your bike and demagnetize the rain gutters. I recommend that Noobs leave the hard bags back at the campground.

2. Fuel range and capacity is normally what limits riders in Death Valley. The GPS tracks will give you a pretty good idea of how long each ride is. If your bike gets 50mpg, you're inexperienced and only going 100 miles at just over an idle, don't bring 300 miles worth of full-throttle gas with you, it will just wear you out faster.

3. Fuel up, load up, then tip your bike over in a nice flat location. Try to pick it up by yourself. Watch a Youtube video on how to pick up a bike properly. Try again. Start unloading the bike until you can pick it up. Note this, and don't pack any more than this.

4. Load your bike up like you're headed out on the ride you've signed up for. Then walk around and shake the living shit out of every part of your load. Do not be nice about it. If it moves at all, figure out how to lash it down to your bike better. Invest in some cam lock webbing straps and good quality luggage.

5. Check all of the fasteners that you can reach on your bike. Loctite is your friend. Apply it liberally to every fastener that you can reach and retighten to the correct torque.

6. With your bike loaded, go get on it and check your riding positions from sitting to standing. If you can't stand up because things are in the way, move them so you can or remove it from your bike. You may think you're going to miss what's in the tank bag, but you're better off not crashing and injuring yourself because you had bad body position.

7. Start the most important exercise, the Dinner Table Press. Start doing some physical activity, as dual sport riding is a physical activity. It also requires you to be dialed in mentally for long periods of time. We purposely have lots of stops on the Noob rides at the best picture locations and cool stuff, so when its time to ride, please concentrate on your riding.

8. Learn about your bike and make sure it is in good working order. Know how to fix a flat tire. Have a good set of tires on your bike when you show up. Learn how to pick up your bike by yourself. Get off the couch and go do some riding before you get to Death Valley.

If any of you need help with some of the things on this list, please ask for help now! It will ensure you have a great weekend riding in Death Valley!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #540
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:

Due to a scheduling snafu on my end, I will be going to Jimmy's this weekend instead of Jan/Mar like I had planned. He tells me its a mixed class of big and small bikes, Ill be on a Husky 449.
I report back here once I recover.