User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
rcroese OP
Haarlem Globetrotter

Oddometer: 22
Bike shipping from US to Colombia/Venezuela

I have done enough border crossings in Central America and cursed my way through the speed traps in Panama, thus I want to start the next trip to S. America from Cartegena or Baranquilla or Maracaibo or Caracas. There is enough lead time to send the bikes by ship (a couple of GSs), but air may be a lot simpler (container and crating-wise). The US exit port could be Miami, New Orleans - or even Veracruz, Mexico, if it is a lot cheaper.

Thus - I would love to hear from motorcycle travelers with practical, recent, proven information on the best and cheapest way to expedite this matter.

My purpose for the trip is the see the three remaining countries in my international riding experience: i.e. British Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana - and throw in the northern Brazil, Amazonian region (during dry-ish season).
rcroese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 789
Zero experience shipping but lots of info here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740804

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Fast103
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
[QUOTE=rcroese;20149690]I have done enough border crossings in Central America and cursed my way through the speed traps in Panama, thus I want to start the next trip to S. America from Cartegena or Baranquilla or Maracaibo or Caracas. There is enough lead time to send the bikes by ship (a couple of GSs), but air may be a lot simpler (container and crating-wise). The US exit port could be Miami, New Orleans - or even Veracruz, Mexico, if it is a lot cheaper.

Thus - I would love to hear from motorcycle travelers with practical, recent, proven information on the best and cheapest way to expedite this matter.

My purpose for the trip is the see the three remaining countries in my international riding experience: i.e. British Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana - and throw in the northern Brazil, Amazonian region (during dry-ish season).[/QUO]

Hi Rcroese,
It is now called just Guyana. Be carefull on the road from Brazil to Lethem and then to Georgetown. In Georgetown ensure your bike and belongings are safe. There are a lot of theives and crime. I know I am Guyanese.
Currently I am in Mexico about to break for the border and head to Ushuaia eventually. I may then ride north to Brazil and Guyana..then ship my bike back to Canada.
Fast103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,643
Not a good idea to ship to Venezuela, much better to Colombia imho. Also better to get your Brazilian VISA in Bogota rather than in Caracas if you haven't gotten one already.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
rcroese OP
Haarlem Globetrotter

Oddometer: 22
Thanks for the "heads up" on Guyana, Fast103. I'll be keeping that in mind. Have a great ride to Ushuaía. I envy you, you will be going through all my favorite countries - with Peru at the top of the list.

Thanks, Throttlemeister, for the advice not to ship to Venezuela. Also, besides having a US passport, I have a nice, red EU passport, which makes it easy to get into countries like Brazil, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina without a visa and zero cost.
rcroese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Shipping from Houston or Miami to Cartagena

Gaston Etchart [samericaxplorer@gmail.com]

Great service, just collected my bike from Cartagena and now in Cali, Colombia.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote