Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #31726
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Hi All,

Picked one up yesterday. Been thinking about it a while, something light and simple for rides that are mostly not pavement. I'm not worthy of the bike off road, but plan to acquire some skills.

Welcome to the madness Krussell! Be sure to check out the PDX Off Road thread. There's often some WR250R riders floundering about on those rides (Including me on mine).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...22958&page=197

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #31727
mattias se
1975mandel

Oddometer: 22
touratech mudguards ?

http://shop.touratech.se/viewimage.p...e=View%2Bimage
mattias se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #31728
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Hi All,

Picked one up yesterday. Been thinking about it a while, something light and simple for rides that are mostly not pavement. I'm not worthy of the bike off road, but plan to acquire some skills.

Had a break in the rain here in Portland, managed to get out this AM and get 110 miles in, about 1/2 pavement, 1/2 gravel. I am pleased, lots of fun. This thread was a big factor in choosing this bike. There's so much good information, and the ride reports are great. I'm 280, 6'4", so I'm riding two up all the time. Did a lot of up and down today, the bike drags my bulk well. Best transmission I've ever had on any bike. 56mpg on the first tank, but I suspect the dealer didn't fill it quite as full as I did.

Thanks to all the inmates here for all the great info! Here's some new bike pics from the morning's ride.

Welcome to the madness Kevin!

Don't trust the guys on this thread :

Or you'll end up like this moron (me)...and nevermind all the talk of squeeling pigs and banjo music
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2822

Seriously though, it's a great crowd and they'll make you feel more than welcome!
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #31729
bigfishs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
This has probably been covered many times in the thread but I dont want to go through at 2116 pages or whatever it is Did anyone who came from a KLR or KLX 250 notice much difference in power moving to an EFI bike?

Stock for stock comparison or jets/airbox/exhaust for KLR vs similar mods for WR.

I know its not a drag bike but from my reading the honda feels slow, the KLR faster and then the WR feels even more sprightly "flamesuit on"
bigfishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #31730
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
My flea market ad for fmf q4

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845846
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #31731
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishs View Post
This has probably been covered many times in the thread but I dont want to go through at 2116 pages or whatever it is Did anyone who came from a KLR or KLX 250 notice much difference in power moving to an EFI bike?

Stock for stock comparison or jets/airbox/exhaust for KLR vs similar mods for WR.

I know its not a drag bike but from my reading the honda feels slow, the KLR faster and then the WR feels even more sprightly "flamesuit on"
I've ridden a well modified KLX250S, and its still slower than the WR motor wise. Suspension can be made fairly close however. Never rode a KLR650. Haven't ridden the Honda, yet.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #31732
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:

There are reasons to adopt EFI that go beyond simple power output - it's nice to be able to just get on and ride. Kind of weird at first, not having to deal with chokes and fuel petcocks and other ritualistic starting routines. Weird, but nice.

I've ridden a KLR650, a CRF250L and my own WR250R recently. The remarkable thing about the CRF250L is the linearity and predictability of its power. It felt plenty sprightly on the tight trail I rode it on, and WAY smoother and quicker than older (and lighter) carbed 200-250s I've ridden. My uncorked WR250R (FMF pipe, programmer, header, all the other usual mods) feels very snappy compared to the CRF250L, with a crisper throttle response and more of definite on/off jerkiness to it - like the top-end power from the stock bike were somehow spread all over the rev range, with a little extra bark. The KLR650 had a more gentle "whoosh" to it but I think part of that was the tilt-y drama of the outstandingly soft stock suspension. I seriously thought I pulled a wheelie the first time I whacked the throttle open, the front end came up so much.

If you want your arms yanked out of your sockets, the WR is the way to go. Of course, you can tune any of these bikes to feel more like any of the others. I just think it's way easier to get what you want with a programmer, rather than with a bunch of jets and gasoline spilled everywhere. Or maybe that's just me being a big ol' noob, never know.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #31733
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Welcome to the madness Krussell! Be sure to check out the PDX Off Road thread. There's often some WR250R riders floundering about on those rides (Including me on mine).

Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #31734
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:

One more....................................

I assume you are talking about a KLR 250 not a 650
I own both the KLX and WRR. I have switched back and forth on them all summer, and both have their advantages. The WRR is bone stock, and the KLX has a dynojet kit in it.
No comparison in a drag race, the WR pulls the KLX with ease. Completely different motors........... Longer stroke KLX much better low end but a few more vibes. It's more forgiving when you get in trouble and have to lug it out. WR is a short stroke screamer and loves to rev... smooth as silk too. You have to use the gearbox more to keep it in the power band. The FI makes leaving my sea level home and going to mountain passes in Colorado much easier (main reason I bought the bike) The KLX was a dog in Colorado, but would have probably done better if I had re jetted for the trip. Hassle.
The WR has a nasty throttle snatch when you are lugging around in first gear... second for that matter. There are things you do to make it better, but the throttle roll on will never be as smooth as KLX. I rode at an ORV area this weekend, and KLX was my choice. It was a joy to ride in the tight woods, and I never killed it in a lug once. Suspension worked great too. The WR is fun for blasting the back roads, and if you need to get home in a hurry it will stay up with traffic on the interstate.
I'm going to sell one of them in the spring, and I'm really back and forth on which one to keep. My planned Colorado trip may make my mind up for me though.

KansasBob screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 09:02 AM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #31735
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,088
warp 9 17" wheel set

If anybody is interested I've listed a set of warp 9 wheels in the parts section. The are a direct bolt on for the R. It has a R brake rotor and the rear wheel has a JT steel 49 tooth sprocket. Comes with the X fork guards.
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #31736
306dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Cool2

i have decided to buy a wr250r----- here we go
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #31737
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
For you guys that have X wheels, I noticed Continental introduced a proper sized knobby front tire for you. 120/70/17 TKC80 Twinduro.

I read it was in response to demand from Ducati Multistrada, Buell and Tiger riders. Can't seem to find them at the likely online suppliers, but I heard the tire has been out since spring.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #31738
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Washed the bikes to put them up for the winter season( first time in 20 years of riding), and the WRR had a little issue starting after. Never had that happen before. I did eventually get it started and was able to ride it around the block a couple times, and it was fine. Never had battery issues before with the WRR, hope its not a sign of things to come. In any case, the bikes with batteries, are getting battery tender'ed this year. Got something else going on, so I am not gonna be able to get out on bikes for a few months.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #31739
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
If anybody is interested I've listed a set of warp 9 wheels in the parts section. The are a direct bolt on for the R. It has a R brake rotor and the rear wheel has a JT steel 49 tooth sprocket. Comes with the X fork guards.
A link would be nice next time. Search engine sucks, and Google didn't hit first page, so I quit looking. Maybe already sold and post is removed?
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #31740
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,859
>"and the WRR had a little issue starting after. Never had that happen before. I did eventually get it started "

IMHO: The bike doesn't want to get put to bed.