ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Steve in Santa Fe OP
Steve in Santa Fe
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 12
Tire Pressure

Greetings,
Quick question. My DR 650 has Michelin Anakee's with about 1/2 life. Great on highway, but durn scary in dirt roads and gravel.
What is the lowest pressure to run on forest roads to get some bite etc and still have sufficient pressure to ride highway speeds back home?

Thanks,
Steve
__________________
Steve in Santa Fe
1980 BMW 100RT
2005 DR 650
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
what are you running now?

try 15-20 psi and take it easy on the corners on dirt...you know already that those tires are not for dirt! jajaaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,819
When I ran 80/20 dual sport tires on my XL600, I just used hand pressure to set the tires. For the street, I would air them up to the point that I could no longer deform them with my hands, and for the dirt I set them so I could squeeze them about 1 cm. Real scientific, huh? I'm guessing I was in the 23-25 psi range for dirt, and they still felt safe on pavement (no need to air up before heading home).

Have you seen the new Metzler Karroo 3? A bit more aggressive than other DS tires, and might be a good next set for you.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Steve in Santa Fe OP
Steve in Santa Fe
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 12
Excellent advice. I got the DR a few weeks ago with these Anakees on it. I have been running 25/21.
I'll try a drop in pressure. May just have to rid myself of these tires.
__________________
Steve in Santa Fe
1980 BMW 100RT
2005 DR 650
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
sounds good

one of the first things you need to think about hard is what type of terrain you will be riding...from there you can choose your tires and pressures...in the meantime just run a bit lower pressure and play it safe on dirt and switch after

there are many good decent dualsport tires out there

k270
michelin t63
karoos
tkc80
shinkos
etc..etc...

all with benefits and negatives depending on where, how and how long you ride...

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
When I ran 80/20 dual sport tires on my XL600, I just used hand pressure to set the tires. For the street, I would air them up to the point that I could no longer deform them with my hands, and for the dirt I set them so I could squeeze them about 1 cm. Real scientific, huh? I'm guessing I was in the 23-25 psi range for dirt, and they still felt safe on pavement (no need to air up before heading home).

Have you seen the new Metzler Karroo 3? A bit more aggressive than other DS tires, and might be a good next set for you.
25psi is really high for dirt..

again just depends on what works and what tires those pressures worked for you

I like 14psi fornt and back on my xr600

sometimes even go lower like 10-12 outback

on my klr I used to run about 20 back and 18 front and I always carry bicycle double action pump to quickly air up for street IF I FEEL LIKE IT! jajajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
25psi is really high for dirt..

again just depends on what works and what tires those pressures worked for you

I like 14psi fornt and back on my xr600

sometimes even go lower like 10-12 outback

on my klr I used to run about 20 back and 18 front and I always carry bicycle double action pump to quickly air up for street IF I FEEL LIKE IT! jajajaja
Maybe I was running lower pressure than I thought. My thumb gauge may have been a bit off.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Steve in Santa Fe OP
Steve in Santa Fe
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 12
Many years ago I raced Moto-X and was pretty good. So this weekend I took the Dr out for some dirt activity on a fire road...First corner I sailed into with those 'Dual Sport' tires set to highway pressures it was like...Hooooo Boyyyyikessssss

I barely salvaged the thing and slunk back home .
__________________
Steve in Santa Fe
1980 BMW 100RT
2005 DR 650
Steve in Santa Fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
whoever hasnt had that happen on a dualsport is lying!

that and braking "late" and missing a turn cause the brakes werent enough for the extra heft of the bike to stop in time! did that on my klr quite a few times

jajajajajaa
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Santa Fe View Post
Greetings,
Quick question. My DR 650 has Michelin Anakee's with about 1/2 life. Great on highway, but durn scary in dirt roads and gravel.
What is the lowest pressure to run on forest roads to get some bite etc and still have sufficient pressure to ride highway speeds back home?

Thanks,
Steve
Good tire pressure can vary between riders, terrain, sidewall stiffness, bikes, etc. You really need to experiment to find what works best for YOU, on the terrain YOU ride, with the bike YOU ride, with the tires YOU have. Anything we say will just be a guideline/anecdote.

Carry a small pump and a pressure gauge. My tiny mtn bike pump airs up both of my DR650SE tires for the road without an issue. I also have a 12V pump when I'm feeling lazy.

I'd swap those tires for something that fits your riding, then sell them to somebody who runs pavement all the time. I like running a cheap long-lasting dualsport tire in the rear (K761), with a cheap dirtier tire up front (Shinko 244 or AMS Sand Snake MX, depending on pavement %age I foresee). The 244 seems to do well enough on anything not soft, and seems to last quite a while. The Sand Snake is squirrely on pavement and wears quicker, understandably, but it grabs in the soft stuff like crazy. Many DOT knobs probably last a bit longer, and may even perform almost as well offroad, but they also tend to cost more than $22. I don't ride it like an SM on pavement (braking, turning, etc.) and I feel that I more than get my money's worth before they're done.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014