Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #3031
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Don't get an '87 if you can help it. Click here for the TW200 forum to dive right in.

• Cycleracks
  • Jimbo Shield
  • Lizard Cooler
  • Ricochet/Moose or TCI skidplate
  • Jets and shims (unless always at high altitude)
  • Shinko 244 front tire
  • Bigger pegs (read up on this)
  • Kickstart kit (if 2001 or newer)
  • Base Gasket replacement (if 2005-2008ish)
  • ATV rear tire (if preparing for war)
  • TTR225 stainless header (looks and longevity)
  • FMF Powercore 4 or DG O-series (looks and noise)
  • Tool tube
  • Clarke Tank
  • Replace most engine fasteners (and float bowl screws) with SS allen heads
  • JIS screwdrivers for carb work
  • Stock chain is pretty bad, get an o-ring one
  • Drill airbox
  • Webcam
  • Electrical stuffs (LED's, charging ports, shorter turn signals, etc.)
  • Walmart seat pad
  • Barkbusters
  • Stebel Horn(s)
  • Happy Trail hard luggage (expensive and counterproductive offroad)
  • Renthal bars/risers
  • Rear shock swap (Virago, Banshee, Blaster)
I think that's most of the things you might possibly ever want to do to the bike, but not many are necessary at all. Make a skidplate one of the first things you buy if you're offroading over branches or rocks.

Before any of that, get yourself educated on riding (MSF course works wonders) and purchase some decent riding gear for your style soon afterwards.

Welcome.
Assquatch20.........Tried to find info on the TW forum about the Lizard cooler?....went to the classified section?...couldn't find the $$$$ cost.Do I need to contact Lizrdbreath for that info?.TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #3032
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Hello all. New to riding dirt bikes here. I'm not really into it for the thrill. Just need to get from point A to point B so I can explore the deserts and mountains. Been doing that with a full size Blazer for over a decade but now the cost of fuel has become prohibitive. I have some fellow exploring friends who do it on dual sports and other types of bikes. I've decided on the TW200 as my choice of two wheeled vehicles. So here I am to learn all I can from you guys. Hope you're OK with that.
Larry....you picked a goodone!....definetly rejet,shim needle etc......look at assquatch's listed goodies....all may not apply to what you want or need,but he made a very good list to choose from!.If you buy new,definetly break it in good,take your time.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #3033
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Assquatch20.........Tried to find info on the TW forum about the Lizard cooler?....went to the classified section?...couldn't find the $$$$ cost.Do I need to contact Lizrdbreath for that info?.TIA
I had to do a little reading for a second there myself. The sticky in the classifieds links to his unveiling thread where he mentions $75 (click).

As I have no need for one right now, I'm not the most up to date, so I'm sure you can ask or he'll come along and let you know if anything has changed.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #3034
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
The latest cooler news can be found here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=lizrdcooler

The site has been kind enough to permit me as a vendor. Hope no one minds, but in return I'd really prefer to confine the bidness end of things to the classifieds section.

I do sell the adaptors seperately. That is the $75 item mentioned.
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #3035
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
I have a Shinko 244 4.60-18 on order. Looking forward to it.
So tonight, I finally got the above-mentioned tire installed. Did it myself, first time ever changing my own tire. It's amazing what you can learn on Youtube.

(Yes, it's holding air just fine... at least for the moment. Will check obsessively eight or fifteen times before taking a long ride on it...)

SO... I took a turn around town (it was over 60 degrees F at 7:00pm here, 3rd day of December, never happens) and was really impressed. I had assumed, from what I read previously, that the steering would feel a bit heavy, but in fact it feels lighter. Between that and the smoother ride, I just have to say, best investment yet on this bike.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3036
LarryW
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Don't get an '87 if you can help it. Click here for the TW200 forum to dive right in.

• Cycleracks
  • Jimbo Shield
  • Lizard Cooler
  • Ricochet/Moose or TCI skidplate
  • Jets and shims (unless always at high altitude)
  • Shinko 244 front tire
  • Bigger pegs (read up on this)
  • Kickstart kit (if 2001 or newer)
  • Base Gasket replacement (if 2005-2008ish)
  • ATV rear tire (if preparing for war)
  • TTR225 stainless header (looks and longevity)
  • FMF Powercore 4 or DG O-series (looks and noise)
  • Tool tube
  • Clarke Tank
  • Replace most engine fasteners (and float bowl screws) with SS allen heads
  • JIS screwdrivers for carb work
  • Stock chain is pretty bad, get an o-ring one
  • Drill airbox
  • Webcam
  • Electrical stuffs (LED's, charging ports, shorter turn signals, etc.)
  • Walmart seat pad
  • Barkbusters
  • Stebel Horn(s)
  • Happy Trail hard luggage (expensive and counterproductive offroad)
  • Renthal bars/risers
  • Rear shock swap (Virago, Banshee, Blaster)
I think that's most of the things you might possibly ever want to do to the bike, but not many are necessary at all. Make a skidplate one of the first things you buy if you're offroading over branches or rocks.

Before any of that, get yourself educated on riding (MSF course works wonders) and purchase some decent riding gear for your style soon afterwards.

Welcome.
Thanks for the reply and the list. I won't be doing a lot of talking here until I get the bike but I will be reading up. I'll stay away from the 87s. Not going to buy new. I do have two friends who are knowlegable that will help me out too. They sent me here.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #3037
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Assquatch & Lizrdbrth.....Thanks!.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #3038
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Thanks for the reply and the list. I won't be doing a lot of talking here until I get the bike but I will be reading up. I'll stay away from the 87s. Not going to buy new. I do have two friends who are knowlegable that will help me out too. They sent me here.
The reason for avoiding the '87's is that they have a one-year-only charging system and CDI unit. If it fails the parts are mostly unobtainium. In every other respect they're mechanically identical to an '88-'00 TW, but the cost of a potential major component failure can be pretty steep.

They can be converted to the later system but are probably best avoided unless you can buy them for a few hundred bucks as a gamble.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #3039
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Anyone have plastics?

Before I go too crazy trying to remove the spray paint from the T Dub I just picked up, anyone have a set of plastics they're looking to sell? Mine's an '01, not sure how fitment works.

Thanks!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #3040
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Before I go too crazy trying to remove the spray paint from the T Dub I just picked up, anyone have a set of plastics they're looking to sell? Mine's an '01, not sure how fitment works.

Thanks!
try putting them in the freezer and then flexing them cold...
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #3041
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
... Mine's an '01, not sure how fitment works.

Thanks!
Fitment is a nightmare. All plastics from '87 to the present are 100% interchangable.

Where's the fun in that, I axe you ?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #3042
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
my rear brake pedal would stick on the tw rear once in awhile, the brake would stay on till i got rolling so i took the rear brakes out and noticed a wear groove where the pivot cam rubs against the brake shoe. i grinded the groove out and sanded it smooth and they work great again.anyone else have this problem?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3043
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
my rear brake pedal would stick on the tw rear once in awhile, the brake would stay on till i got rolling so i took the rear brakes out and noticed a wear groove where the pivot cam rubs against the brake shoe. i grinded the groove out and sanded it smooth and they work great again.anyone else have this problem?
While you're in there put a LIGHT film of grease on the pivots, both sides of the paddle and the actuator pin. There's a grease channel in the pin for retaining grease and you shouldn't let it run dry. You'll have to remove the pin periodically to lube it. I generally do it at tire changes, when servicing the forks or any time I have a wheel off. The brakes will work much better and it won't happen again.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3044
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
While you're in there put a LIGHT film of grease on the pivots, both sides of the paddle and the actuator pin. There's a grease channel in the pin for retaining grease and you shouldn't let it run dry. You'll have to remove the pin periodically to lube it. I generally do it at tire changes, when servicing the forks or any time I have a wheel off. The brakes will work much better and it won't happen again.
yes, i did put a little waterproof grease on it. i figured it would help a bit with the action and wear. thanks for the info though!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #3045
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
yes, i did put a little waterproof grease on it. i figured it would help a bit with the action and wear. thanks for the info though!
It will still suck. It'll just suck in a slightly less life-threatening manner

Looking into swapping to the 130mm front drum using the backing plate from another Yamaha that we can get here in The States. Gotta love Yamaha. They gave the lowly TW125 the bigger 130 rear, and it can barely get out of its own way.

Looks like they did the same thing to the XT guys, if it's any consolation. Put the little brake on the street-legal bike and the big brake on its dirtbike sibling.

We've got twice the rubber on the ground, and some of us have way more than that....

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 01:08 AM