User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Fibzzz OP
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Shoei RF1100 Pinlock issue - seeking advice

I have the Pinlock shield on my Shoei RF1100, and after thousands of fog-free miles, I now have a problem with fogging. When the shield is closed all the way, the top edge of the Pinlock insert sits and seals against the rubber gasket on the helmet. When I raise the shield from closed position, the gasket doesn't immediately "let go" of the Pinlock insert, so as I push the shield up, the Pinlock insert gets pushed down ever so slightly, enough to break its seal against the face shield. And with the Pinlock insert no longer sealed against the face shield, when I close the shield again it immediately starts to fog as the moisture from my breath gets under the Pinlock. And it STAYS fogged because there's not enough air circulating under the Pinlock, so raising the shield for a second won't clear it.

I now have to push the Pinlock insert back into place every time I raise my face shield, but it doesn't seal properly after the first time it happens, and it's pissing me off! Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it?
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Have you taken it apart and cleaned both parts in the sink with dishwashing soap? No scotchbrite, just fingers. It should remove whatever it is that is causing the silicone seal to slide. A low temperature bake out in the oven will drive off moisture (100F). Then, maybe a little bit of Armorall or something like that on the helmet gasket to get that slippery?
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
silicon lubricant on the gasket should help. Every helmet I've bought that wasn't a Shoei came with a little bottle of lubricant for the gaskets.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
Fibzzz OP
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Have you taken it apart and cleaned both parts in the sink with dishwashing soap? No scotchbrite, just fingers. It should remove whatever it is that is causing the silicone seal to slide. A low temperature bake out in the oven will drive off moisture (100F). Then, maybe a little bit of Armorall or something like that on the helmet gasket to get that slippery?
As I'm thinking back, the problem started after a thorough cleaning of all parts with dish soap. I must have stripped away the lubrication on the gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
silicon lubricant on the gasket should help. Every helmet I've bought that wasn't a Shoei came with a little bottle of lubricant for the gaskets.
Thank you both. I expect re-lubricating the gasket will solve it, and I should have thought of that!
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
As I'm thinking back, the problem started after a thorough cleaning of all parts with dish soap. I must have stripped away the lubrication on the gasket.

Thank you both. I expect re-lubricating the gasket will solve it, and I should have thought of that!
Be sure to use silicone lubricant though :) Silicon is pretty scratchy! Sorry for the typo
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote