Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #91
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
It seems to be popular opinion that BMW's hold a high cost of ownership. Are these folks that prefer not to take the 45 minutes and do their own wrenching? Or perhaps it's replacement parts that cost money? If routine maintenance on the 1200 boxer can be done with basic tools in my own garage I'm failing to see where the high cost of ownership is.
Go to any forum for any bike and you'll read tales of expensive woe. On any reasonably complicated bit of machinery, things can go wrong. As far as big, expensive things like crankshafts and gearboxes -- the boxer motor goes farther than anything else out there. What other used motorcycles still have a consistent resale market in the 100k+ mileage range?

Other hexhead maintenance -- alternator belt: 30 minutes and a cheap part. Gearbox and drive oil -- 30 minutes. And the usual wheel and swingarm bearing replacement that any bike needs after a big miles. That's about it. Brake bleeding can be a little fussy due to the ABS.

If the bike does need actual replacement parts then, yes, those are pricey. Same as with German cars.

In my limited experience, the cost of owning a bike is exponentially and inversely related to how much one is will to learn to do things. My airhead needed the entire block replaced (oil pump housing cracked). I could have spent $2500 to have a shop do it, but I spent $450 instead (mostly on tools) and learned some things.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #92
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I've been thru two RT's (1150 & 1200) and a 1100RS, and I agree I like my 12R the most. I also enjoy riding my airhead (77 R100/7) around the neighborhood. Love that mid-range torque!

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #93
tiggerman
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks Lostviking for the tips and info. I'll try it soon

yea the black drive train and the paint color are impressive people think it's a new bike
tiggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #94
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
After years of looking at K75's for my SO I found this little gem that she loves:

It's a '99 that came with 85K on the clock and yet it runs like a top. Oh, sure, the tranny tends to be persnickety from 1st to 2nd but otherwise it runs strong, is in fantastic condition, and averages 48+ mpg on rides. The SO is 5'-7" and can flat foot it, she's a happy lady!

It came with factory luggage and I set it up with XM radio for her.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #95
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
After years of looking at K75's for my SO I found this little gem that she loves:

It's a '99 that came with 85K on the clock and yet it runs like a top. Oh, sure, the tranny tends to be persnickety from 1st to 2nd but otherwise it runs strong, is in fantastic condition, and averages 48+ mpg on rides. The SO is 5'-7" and can flat foot it, she's a happy lady!

It came with factory luggage and I set it up with XM radio for her.
Good choice over the K bike you were considering. K bikes tend to be top heavy from what I read. It wouldn't be as much confidence inspiring for your SO as the R.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #96
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
Good choice over the K bike you were considering. K bikes tend to be top heavy from what I read. It wouldn't be as much confidence inspiring for your SO as the R.

We looked at about five different K75's and yes, they are top heavy. The R1100R I got her must have come with a factory low seat because in its lowest setting she's completely flat-footing the bike. I'm so happy for her because she's always wanted a BMW but it was hard finding one I could pay cash for.

I own a '02 RT that I love as well as a '06 K12s yet I get a big kick out of riding her bike. The weight is okay and it handles and brakes quite well. Anyway, as long as she's happy I'm happy.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #97
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
(snip)

I own a '02 RT that I love as well as a '06 K12s yet I get a big kick out of riding her bike. The weight is okay and it handles and brakes quite well. Anyway, as long as she's happy I'm happy.
After briefly considering a new 2013 R1200R (as posted yesterday), today I ended up instead buying a 2004 R1150RT in premier condition with just under 10k total miles, Ohlins and much much more. By the time I'd have bought an R12R plus tax, fees and BMW sidecases too, it would have been a budget buster. So now, I'll have a pair of 2004 BMW motos like matched bookends with the prior primo R1100S and now the R1150RT. I think I've got it covered!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #98
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
I can't comment on the difference b/n 12GS and 12R but I can on 12RT and 12R. There's a world of difference b/n the two. While still powerful in its own right, RT didn't compare with R in how the power's delivered to the wheels. Same motor but the difference of 100 lbs of so in curb weight is very noticeable which makes the R a much more exciting ride.
With equal gas and side cases removed from the RT, I bet the weight delta is more like 50 lbs...still signficant.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #99
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
With equal gas and side cases removed from the RT, I bet the weight delta is more like 50 lbs...still signficant.
The empty weight of the RT as given by BMW is also without side cases - interesting enough ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #100
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
The weight difference feels much more significant than the numbers would indicate because RT is much more top heavy.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #101
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
I still drool over these bikes. I'd even like the 2013 beige.

They really fit my "do everything" criteria well, though I'd probably want just a touch more leg room - factory side cases and a tall screen look like all it would take for year round duty.

Anyone have any luck talking down dealers a wee bit?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #102
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay View Post
...I ended up instead buying a 2004 R1150RT in premier condition with ...
Bang for the buck, that is a primo bike for all-round riding (especially long trips). Well done.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #103
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I picked up a used '11 R1200R this spring. Still in love with it over 6000 miles later!

Why an 'R over other bikes?
I'm too short for a GS. Plus I think they are fugly. :)
I didn't want the extra weight, wind protection or cost of an RT. I was coming off an FJR and I found it to be too heavy.
I liked the F800ST on paper, but in person it was uncomfortable and the motor was uninspiring.
One test ride convinced me. The 'R just felt right, like it was built for me.

The 'R has a surprising amount of wind protection with just the fly screen, but still lets enough clean air through to let you know you are on a bike.

Thanks to heated gear and grips, I've commuted on it since I got it in March. I'm starting to worry about ice & salt, so will probably stop for the winter unless we get unseasonably warm days with dry roads.

Rode two-up into Vermont on October 19th for a weekend trip with the girlfriend on the back, passing through record breaking rains. The bike never skipped a beat. We were comfy, but quite damp by the time we arrived. Rode home on Sunday after our gear was finally dried out, and had a blast on the App Gap and Kancamagus. Cresting a ridge into a small town in VT on the way home a police car flashed his blues at me to slow down for the town, but didn't turn and pull us over... I don't know if it was because I was slowing down, it was about 50 degrees and there were two of us fully geared up, or we were on such a standard looking bike, but I was happy not to have to add an unexpected cost to the trip.

All in all, it really is the perfect "do everything" bike for me. Comfy enough to ride all day between the seat, weight and suspension. Sporty, light & powerful enough to have a lot of fun in the twisties. Just enough wind protection to prevent fatigue. Passenger seat and storage enough for two-up trips. All packaged in a way that I find really well engineered and very stylish.

It's not without its quirks or course... On-off throttle transitions were rough, but have gotten noticeably better since installing a BoosterPlug. Mirror vibes were awful until I installed Wunderlich mirror extenders and Throttlemeister bar-ends. Replacing the worn out Bridgestones with Pilot Road 3s has made a huge difference in handling too. I'm considering some additional lighting for safety, but mostly just better gear and more riding!

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #104
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I picked up a used '11 R1200R this spring. Still in love with it over 6000 miles later!

Why an 'R over other bikes?
I'm too short for a GS. Plus I think they are fugly. :)
I didn't want the extra weight, wind protection or cost of an RT. I was coming off an FJR and I found it to be too heavy.
I liked the F800ST on paper, but in person it was uncomfortable and the motor was uninspiring.
One test ride convinced me. The 'R just felt right, like it was built for me.

The 'R has a surprising amount of wind protection with just the fly screen, but still lets enough clean air through to let you know you are on a bike.

Thanks to heated gear and grips, I've commuted on it since I got it in March. I'm starting to worry about ice & salt, so will probably stop for the winter unless we get unseasonably warm days with dry roads.

Rode two-up into Vermont on October 19th for a weekend trip with the girlfriend on the back, passing through record breaking rains. The bike never skipped a beat. We were comfy, but quite damp by the time we arrived. Rode home on Sunday after our gear was finally dried out, and had a blast on the App Gap and Kancamagus. Cresting a ridge into a small town in VT on the way home a police car flashed his blues at me to slow down for the town, but didn't turn and pull us over... I don't know if it was because I was slowing down, it was about 50 degrees and there were two of us fully geared up, or we were on such a standard looking bike, but I was happy not to have to add an unexpected cost to the trip.

All in all, it really is the perfect "do everything" bike for me. Comfy enough to ride all day between the seat, weight and suspension. Sporty, light & powerful enough to have a lot of fun in the twisties. Just enough wind protection to prevent fatigue. Passenger seat and storage enough for two-up trips. All packaged in a way that I find really well engineered and very stylish.

It's not without its quirks or course... On-off throttle transitions were rough, but have gotten noticeably better since installing a BoosterPlug. Mirror vibes were awful until I installed Wunderlich mirror extenders and Throttlemeister bar-ends. Replacing the worn out Bridgestones with Pilot Road 3s has made a huge difference in handling too. I'm considering some additional lighting for safety, but mostly just better gear and more riding!

-Alec
All the same reasons I sold my RT & FJR and bought my 12R. I just ordered 21" Cee Bailey windshield another 12R rider experimented and posted results. Excellent results. It'll be for my winter riding. 5 min swap with my low windshield.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #105
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I ... On-off throttle transitions were rough, but have gotten noticeably better since installing a BoosterPlug. ..
+1

Best cheap mod you can do to an R1200 motor (of all flavors).