Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #241
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Tango View Post
Typically, an LED will need a current limiting resistor in series with the LED. The value of this resistor will depend on the voltage of the source, the forward drop across the LED, and the LED's operating current. This is a generic answer; there may be some LEDs that have this resistor already integrated with the LED. Especially if the LED is packaged up for a specific application, for example to replace an existing incandescent bulb. You need to have information for the specific part you're using to avoid a mishap.

LT
You can also buy a $15 blinker relay specifically for leds. I got mine at cycle gear and also online. PLugs right into the harness where the old one was and you don't need to mess with anything.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #242
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Just ordered and Adventure Plate, Bars, Risers, a couple of push button switches form HDB, 2 Powerlet sockets and some Hot Grips (Direct from hot Grips) for my WR250R.

The hot grips comes with a 2 way toggle switch, does anybody know if that will fit in the "Switch" area's of the HDB top plate? As I want to run 2 powerlets so I don't want to use those holes for switches, and the push button swiches I ordered aren't two way (high and low). Or do you know a source for a two way switch that will fit in the "Switch holes" on the HDB set-up.

Also not sure where to get LED's to fit in the indicator light holes anybody have a source for them? Never wired a diode directly, do they just wire up in series with a hot lead?

Thanks.
I recently picked up a clamp&etc, and planning to mount the same heated grips, I asked Paul to make one of the 2 big holes to fit the factory toggle switch and asked about the LED's for the indicator holes. I got the clamp with the right hole and a bag of LED to fit. Just need to ask the man before he ships. I don't recall if I heard he would mod the hole for the switch here or on the HDB site.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #243
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Just ordered and Adventure Plate, Bars, Risers, a couple of push button switches form HDB, 2 Powerlet sockets and some Hot Grips (Direct from hot Grips) for my WR250R.

The hot grips comes with a 2 way toggle switch, does anybody know if that will fit in the "Switch" area's of the HDB top plate? As I want to run 2 powerlets so I don't want to use those holes for switches, and the push button swiches I ordered aren't two way (high and low). Or do you know a source for a two way switch that will fit in the "Switch holes" on the HDB set-up.

Also not sure where to get LED's to fit in the indicator light holes anybody have a source for them? Never wired a diode directly, do they just wire up in series with a hot lead?

Thanks.
You may have seen a round 3-way rocker switch (hi/off/lo) that fits into the HDB switch hole, very clean and good looking switch. Paul does indeed need to pre-drill for that switch style. This round switch comes in many warmer kits, vs the more common toggle bar type. The common bar type doesn't need to be pre-drilled by Paul. Here's a linky to a kit with the round switch.

I ran hot grips for years, work great, but they're pretty hard on the hands during long multi-day rides.

dvwalker screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 07:50 AM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #244
Yaozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
You may have seen a round 3-way rocker switch (hi/off/lo) that fits into the HDB switch hole, very clean and good looking switch. Paul does indeed need to pre-drill for that switch style. This round switch comes in many warmer kits, vs the more common toggle bar type.
There is a hole already in mine, but it's not big enough. Would I bugger it up if I just enlarged the hole in a drill press with a 13/16" bit so it would fit the switch?
Yaozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #245
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer View Post
There is a hole already in mine, but it's not big enough. Would I bugger it up if I just enlarged the hole in a drill press with a 13/16" bit so it would fit the switch?
drill press and right bit is all you need. Drill from bottom and leave a lip at the top (~1/8"), the rocker switch presses into place from the top.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #246
m002928
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bar Pad or Top Clamp Pad?

I've got a set of HDB hand guards on order. I spend 95% of my time in dirt, ride hard, and end up slamming into the bars and clamps from time to time. Has anyone generated a solution for some type of bar pad on the top clamp? I ordered the SXdx top clamp and don't have a large need to access switches and power outlets. If I'm unable to generate a solution from this thread I'll probably end up buying some twin wall bars and use a bar pad on the crossbar. Thoughts?
m002928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #247
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,077
...how about some foam or wetsuit material and a few zipties?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #248
CrashTheDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Any trick to getting HDB to contact me to place an order? I've got too many questions to simply order off of their website. I've sent two emails within a week of each other and still haven't heard back. Would it help to order something off of the website and request a call to discuss options?
CrashTheDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #249
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
Any trick to getting HDB to contact me to place an order? I've got too many questions to simply order off of their website. I've sent two emails within a week of each other and still haven't heard back. Would it help to order something off of the website and request a call to discuss options?

I emailed him and got a reply the same day a few months ago. It is the Holiday Season and he is a one man shop I believe. Probably real busy.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #250
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
I've bought plenty of stuff from Paul and that's the way it goes sometimes. One day you'll get an email in 3 minutes, others it's awhile. One man band. But you can't find another vendor as helpful and committed to his product than HDB.

His setup works excellent, I've crash tested it on my dirt bike more times than I care to admit and it is super tough. I mounted it above a BRP triple with Scotts damper on my Husqvarna and on my CBR I have the nicer top plate mounted to an Emig triple with damper.

It's worth the wait, just understand he's not blowing you off

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #251
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,116
Hi Guys, thanks for the heads up and the props, really have to apologize though, I'm just now getting caught up with emails from the last 2 weeks, I have a few more to do then I'm onto phone calls. If I've missed you please get me a PM.

We are still small and I now have my nephew helping out in the shop, but it is busier then ever and we're trying as best we can to keep up.

Also I'd like to thank ADV for all the support, this has been a good year for us.

Use "adv15" for a discount code til the end of the year.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #252
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
New Order

I just ordered my first setup from paul! Excited to put it in. My dad ordered is last month and I love the product. Thanks for all the great information it really helped me make my decision.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #253
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post

The big thing I like about these guards is that with the bar end weights, there's plenty of room for my OEM controls. No chopping or grinding of the levers. A coupla pics of my finished install--

Hi, just realised your picture is what I sent to HDB with a "I want that!" note...
What bar ends (length also?) have you got and consequently did you go for their longer version of guards?
Thanks a lot!
Ev.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #254
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,077
Thumb bar weights

...I don't think the width is really critical. I used a set of BMW bar weights and put my handguards on the inboard of the weights.
Between the bar weights and the HDB Anti-Vibe Threaded Inserts
and new ProGrips the vibes are down to a minimum.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #255
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
I highly recommend HDB products and Paul is a pleasure to work with. After I mounted mine, I decided to put a GPR under the bars steering damper on. This required a different top clamp. Paul swapped out the top clamp for no charge. It is really refreshing to see a business that is genuinely interested in the satisfaction of their customers.