ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #54796
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
One work, price.

the link above has the XR650L starting at $6690 in 2012

the KLR is listed here at $6299 (http://findthebest.motorcycleshows.c...wasaki-KLR-650)

and the DR650 here is $5999 (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/20...50se/95181/05/)

so yeah, the XRL is more but its not thousands more..is $400 or $700 really the deciding factor?

edit:
here's the mfg specs:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...0SE.aspx#Specs

http://www.kawasaki.com/products/pro...ns.aspx?id=559

notice the weight differences....they call XR650Ls "big red pigs" but its the KLR thats the real pig, isnt it?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301

sion screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 10:07 PM
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #54797
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Boo hiss for ancient air cooled and carbed motor and 5 speed tranny. But I truly am shocked how light it is (although it'd be another ~20 pounds more once you put a decent size fuel tank on there.

Honest, non-smartassed question... Why is it that this bike is so unsung/under appreciated? Considering the vast reach of the klr and dr.
Yup, Buildit said it - the XRL is arguably the best of the three in terms of "do all" capability, but it's priced high enough to be the outlier. Needs a better transmission (low gears are all goofy) and a stronger subframe, but every bike has its downsides...even those orange bikes that everyone gets butthurt if you criticize.

I never had one ounce of problems out of my XRL's water pump.

I loved mine, I will own another someday, maybe real soon.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #54798
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
You guys have probably forgotten what it's like, but it's so nice being a new rider. I can ride anything without any preconceived notions of how it's supposed to be and head down the road grinning from ear to ear.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #54799
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 623
Just Ride it.

B-Mac screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 02:25 AM Reason: spelling
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #54800
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,604
When I checked out the klr/xrl/dr the Dr came out on top. Better street and dirt reviews, even given the Honda's suspension. Better after market for the Dr too,and cheaper to build one up also. The 790 kit is Dr only too,the Honda and kiwi only had 725 kits. All in all for stock bikes,pick a Dr or xrl unless you want a heavier plusher klr for mostly street.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #54801
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
I ride whatever is available, This is my current Taliban Special. A "Zarang 200" The Man stopped me for No Vest on the flight line and was not happy with the plate. Helmet was OK
The only bikes I see in Qatar have a food delivery box on the rear.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #54802
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Sorry Flagger, I forgot about the F800 rode one, liked it.

Mike, you are one of the few that abuse your big bike.

Whitey, sorry for stepping on your toes, it was purely a PMS moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
You guys have probably forgotten what it's like, but it's so nice being a new rider. I can ride anything without any preconceived notions of how it's supposed to be and head down the road grinning from ear to ear.
Exactly. If 100,000 adv bikes are sold, how many will ever see more than the occasional dirt road? A couple days ago a friend of mine on his GS was scolded because he took all his riding buddies down a road that got their adv bikes dirty.

They're selling a lifestyle, like the Shadow wants to be a Harley, cashing in on what BMW pretty much created, the Adv lifestyle. Personally, I thought they should have brought the Transalp back to the USA to go up against the vstrom and such, I have yet to figure that one out since the bike has been sold in Europe for decades.

What's the wheel size of those Buels that are ridden on the road enduros? 17"?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #54803
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
I ride whatever is available, This is my current Taliban Special. A "Zarang 200" The Man stopped me for No Vest on the flight line and was not happy with the plate. Helmet was OK

America, Fuck YEAH!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #54804
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
The XR650L is shit. Sorry. I bought one when the first came out and farkeled & modded the shit out of it. It was never a good dirtbike & on-road it was beyond horrible.

The KLR has been some weird magical combination. Even when Kaw got ambitious & tried to update it with the KLX (a bike, that on paper should have been a lot better) they failed. It is one of those things in that the sum is way better than its parts would lead you to think is possible.

Honda could have made a killer DP out of the BRP & I thought the Transalp was really cool (I rode a friends and thought it was really neat) The Africa twin should have been here and it would have been cool to have the old XLV750R stateside. Honda has had the machines, but the US market was too small/fragmented.

The ADV market in America is small, it is growing, but small. Remember the first few years of the KLR only sold about 500 units per year in the US. When that bike peaked 05-06 it was still under 6,000 units per year.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #54805
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 889
Quote:

THAT. Is awesome.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #54806
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:

Kinda neat, actually. 17" front tire?

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #54807
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:

Kick Ass B-Mac!
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #54808
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
What's the wheel size of those Buels that are ridden on the road enduros? 17"?
It was my experience on a Buell (with a 17" front wheel) that has lead me to believe that an adventure bike needs a 19 or 21 inch front. This new Honda is a 500cc bike... It's not made to compete with 'big adventure bikes'. It could've been made to fill a niche in between the more dirt oriented DR/XR 650 and the more street oriented Vstrom/650GS. I really think it could've been a true KLR competitor... that kind of wierd niche between more road, and more off-road worthy. Some people want a twin over a thumper, the new tech could put the performance comparable despite the cc disadvantage... 6 speeds, fuel injection, cheap... all great things. Unfortunately they threw that 17" front on there that screams (to me) IT'S NOT REALLY CAPABLE OFF ROAD!!! It'll cater towards road only folks, but they make 3 versions of this exact bike... do they all need to cater towards road only folks?

I agree with you that it's a status thing with this bike; it's not a real adventure bike, that's why I was disappointed.

Quote:
Actually, that's exactly how I am in real life. Both my current bikes I bought without a test ride. They're motorcycles... I'm going to enjoy them... I'll ride with folks on any other make/model bike... and if we get a chance to trade, I'm all for it... doesn't even matter what you ride.

But on the internet I've come to bitch about stuff more than I ever have before. It must be pretty bad if I'm noticing it myself. I got in a pissing match with someone over in Thumpers yesterday out of sheer boredom. Not sure what my problem is lately... I think, since I've recently shaken my hardcore fan-boy status and am trying to remain open to all now, other fan-boy types (not personal, no one here) just rub me the wrong way, and I always want to play devils advocate just to erk them.

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #54809
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
I'm like that, too. I just started riding last year on the KLR650, got my official M endorsement this spring. I noticed after a few put downs it was kind of a pain to pick up the heavy KLR up. Ended up buying a WRR a couple months ago just based on talking with an owner or 2 and reading some reviews. Rode it up to a Adv/road enduro & tried it out. I got a lot of strange looks when I said I rode to the ride & planned riding back home. I guess I'm not smart enough to know you shouldn't ride 400+ mile/12 hr days on a 250. I'm just enjoying it and don't really give a shit what anyone else thinks.

BTW I'll likely put a 100-200 miles in the SE corner together this weekend, if anyone wants to join. The weather looks fantastic. I really like gravel.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #54810
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
The danger of the GIVI cases.
the story behind it...

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...into+sailboat/