Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #15166
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I don't get it...why do you need to flat-foot any bike?

I never understood this either. A lot of people pass over some great bikes because they can't flat foot at a stop. All I need is to be able to put one foot firmly on the ground and I am good, but there again I sit at stops checking my mirrors, with my hands on the bars, clutch pulled in and the bike in gear ready to go in case it doesn't register with "princess" that she needs to be stopping instead of going.

You don't need to be able to flat foot any bike, just make sure you put the correct foot down at a stop. Been there done that.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #15167
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Hear hear. I ride XC and I am 1m69cm tall..or...short? :)
Before that I rode DR800 that was even taller with DYI suspension mods.
The only time I had problems with XC height is when I was riding for 3500 km with pneumonia (because I am dumb idiot) and felt so weak, I could only ride bike.
For me lowering adventure bike defying very principle it built on.

But if you are 1.54 like one of my friend (and GREAT long distance traveler) - no choice. He had to lower even Deauville 700 to just be able to stop on his own.
But flat-footing is not needed for riding normally for sure.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #15168
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,715
Didn't say I needed to flatfoot . Just enough for to be confident at off camber stops . As I get a little more age on me the less I like to pick up my bike .
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #15169
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
If you're on the eastern side of TN in the mountains, and like carving up the twisties, I wouldn't recommend lowering a Roadie. Bike has one of the lowest ground clearances I've ever had (a Harley included, no joke). If you tend to use all of your back tire, consider raising the rear.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #15170
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,715
I need to go back for a test ride & get them to setup the suspension to spec . I know the rear didn't sag when I plopped my fat butt on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #15171
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
Really interested in these lowering links, since that's one of the things that hold off me buying one of these bikes. Everything fit ok, is it fairly easy to do? And how low is the seat height now?
Seat is about 2" lower than stock & on the high setting as I like the longer reach to the pegs so my knees don't get so jammed. The Soupy link allows adjustment from 1/2" to over 4" supposedly, but you can only raise the forks so much as they are tapered.

Be sure to have the rear wheel off the ground during install, then it's easy-I didn't and the weight of the bike bent both bolts. Had to buy 2 new ones
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #15172
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Really ? Damn I guess I need to play with my sag because I'm the same size as you and I can't flat foot my XC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm 6'0 ft with boots on, 32" inseam (without boots). I can't flat foot my XC. You also have to remember that sometimes you will have more weight with gear, luggage, extra rider... I set mine as stiff as it goes and ride like the wind... During July- September I rode my XC with the rear shock blown out, I still couldn't flat foot.
Well fjb, just because your shock was "blown" I'm guessing the spring was in place and NOT broken. That's what holds the bike up. Doh!

I forgot to add that I have my seat in its high position. Yes I flat foot it on level ground WITHOUT the assistance of luggage. Spring pre-load is your friend. That's what it's for. My seat height is around 800mm [865 (book) minus 65 (sag)] when sat on it. That's not much higher than a bandit.
It's my firm belief that most people on forums that moan about the shock being crap or the bike doesn't fit them haven't adjusted the very things they're moaning about.

Re the flat footing thing. People seem to use that as a gauge as to whether a bike fits them. No, you don't need to flat foot a bike but, I tell you, it makes the bike much more manageable in the rough nadgery stuff. When you can get a firm foot down to aid manoeuvring you can then lift your weight off the bike which then gives the bike its full ground clearance.

blacktiger screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:57 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #15173
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Well fjb, just because your shock was "blown" I'm guessing the spring was in place and NOT broken. That's what holds the bike up. Doh!
yeah ok...

My new Ohlins will be sweet ass!!!
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #15174
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
If you're on the eastern side of TN in the mountains, and like carving up the twisties, I wouldn't recommend lowering a Roadie. Bike has one of the lowest ground clearances I've ever had (a Harley included, no joke). If you tend to use all of your back tire, consider raising the rear.
I'll call BS on that (lower than Harley) statement, and also add a "get your ass off the seat" to it.

Now my Buell would definatly lean over further than my Roadie.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #15175
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
flat foot

Whether you're comfortable not being able to flat foot a bike or not depends on a bunch of variables. Like your upper body strength, leg strength, experience level, terrain, bike, yada, yada, yada.

I'd be more comfortable on tiptoe or one foot with something like a 375 lb Dr650 vs something like a 600lb Tenere or Stelvio. Depends on the cg of the bike too.

Less experienced riders haven't developed the comfort level more experienced riders may have.

I don't get you guys that don't get this. You sound like you were experts from the get go.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #15176
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
Agreed. I do see quite a few, though, who refuse to embrace the learning curve and "tripod" a bike at standstill.
Could very well be the moto press has brainwashed many into thinking they NEED to flatfoot. I'd gather that most of us wnat as much clearence as possible and are willing to adapt out technique to make this so.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #15177
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Me sat on my bike. Pretty much flat footing with bent knees....
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #15178
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Whether you're comfortable not being able to flat foot a bike or not depends on a bunch of variables. Like your upper body strength, leg strength, experience level, terrain, bike, yada, yada, yada.

I'd be more comfortable on tiptoe or one foot with something like a 375 lb Dr650 vs something like a 600lb Tenere or Stelvio. Depends on the cg of the bike too.

Less experienced riders haven't developed the comfort level more experienced riders may have.

I don't get you guys that don't get this. You sound like you were experts from the get go.
Totally agree. This is mostly an experience issue. Some of the top MX and enduro riders can't flatfoot their bikes.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #15179
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post

I still don't get it. But yes, maybe just can't relate. I started riding in the 60's.

However, I didn't think we were dealing with noobs here with XC owners either. I'm not that tall at 5-10 and wear a 30" inseam. I have ridden all those bikes you mention, without issue. The tallest are the KTM dirtbikes, seat height at like 38in. Of course they squash down quite a bit when you sit on them. And yes, bike size has at least something to do with it, but the XC isn't nearly the heft as either bike you mention. That's why I chose the XC.

With two-up and luggage it's a handful for this 175lb weakling. I would rather run the seat up high to give more legroom to the pegs, but find issue with getting a toe down with it that high, so I run the seat at the lower setting. I don't recall any bike in my past that I could flat-foot, hence my comment.

Instead of saying 'you guys', why didn't you just address me directly since I started it.
I just thought it was being made more if an issue than it needed to be. I personally think lowered bikes have been hobbled, but understand it for really short riders.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #15180
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
I get "it", but just don't agree with it. I don't see why anyone should "learn" one method, just to have to "learn" a different one when they get out of their comfort zone. Let's face it, the average individual can't flat foot many of the Adventure or Dual Sport bikes. I'm no expert by any means, but if you're not confident enough or willing to learn how to hold a bike up at a stop with one leg, maybe you should take up another hobby.

To me, you are defeating the purpose of an Adventure/Dual Sport bike by lowering it. If you're going to do that, why not just buy something more suitable to start with.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote