User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
hiawassee OP
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 199
Need Help.....Auto Clutch adjustment and questions

Need some help with an automatic clutch question. I bought a Revloc Dyna Ring automatic clutch for my '01 WR426F before Revloc went out of business because Rekluse didn't make one for this bike at the time. I used it successfully for about a year but started experiencing what I think is "slippage" during a race back in July (2012). the slip only happens in 5th gear.

figuring it was probably time to replace the friction disks, I bought new ones from Rekluse. Even though they're listed as fitting WR450 models, I was assured they would be suitable for the 426. honestly, I don't know if there's much, if any difference, in clutch components between the two that the 450 disks wouldn't fit the 426, so I installed them. however, the slippage is still occurring in 5th gear only at speeds higher than 50mph only when going up slight inclines or steep hills. btw, I'm hitting those speeds on roads, not trails. the bike is plated and there aren't any trails in my area where you can hit 50+ for any significan't length of time to worry about slippage in 5th gear.

the instructions for the auto clutch install said to remove the judder spring and spring seat before installing the new clutch pack starting with a friction disk and alternating with steel, and adding the auto clutch "ring" in the center of the pack as you work outward.

would removal of the judder spring/spring seat possibly cause the "slippage" I'm experiencing? Is there anything else I should consider?

thx in advance
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
wmako
bored in NJ

Oddometer: 605
Clutches always start slipping in the highest gear first, when they are on their way out. In a lower gear, the wheel is easier for the engine to spin, so it is easier for the clutch to hold on. I don't know much about these automatic clutches, but my first thought would be the springs. My CX500 clutch started slipping only in fifth gear, at higher RPM. Worn plates would have slipped at low RPM also, but as RPM increased, my weak 30 year old springs couldn't fight the centrifugal force. When I took the clutch apart, the plates had plenty of meat on them as I suspected. I didn't bother to measure the spring rate on them, but the new spring where very obviously a lot stiffer than the ones I removed.

1979 CX500
1990 DR350

Ride Reports

Wmako's moped army rides from Jersey to Una-F'n-dilla (August 2010)
wmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 793
Oil first

What oil are you using? Many people experience slippage because of oil issues. Rekluse users (check ThumperTalk) suggest Shell Rotella T 15-40 might make your slippage disappear. It has for me in my DRZ400 with the Rekluse. I was running synthetic at first and experienced the same thing.

Try that first.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
hiawassee OP
Fair play t'ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
What oil are you using? Many people experience slippage because of oil issues. Rekluse users (check ThumperTalk) suggest Shell Rotella T 15-40 might make your slippage disappear. It has for me in my DRZ400 with the Rekluse. I was running synthetic at first and experienced the same thing.

Try that first.

Been using Amsoil 0-40. damn close to being straight vegetable oil. maybe that's the problem. not tacky enough to provide the right amount of friction. I've heard about the Rotella though. might give that a shot.

still want to narrow my variables though. need to figure out if removing the judder spring and spring seat (per auto clutch install instructions) was really the right thing to do or not. I'd like to believe it's not detrimental to clutch function. I mean Rekluse and Revloc (before going out of business) have both sold a ton of product. I'd like to think they would know what they're talking about.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 793
Any progress?

Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to make any adjustments?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
hiawassee OP
Fair play t'ya!

had to order a new narrow friction disk (first one installed). accidentally threw the old one out, but considering it was pretty badly worn, I'm guessing it needed to be chucked anyway. also ordered new pressure plate springs. got all the parts a couple days ago but haven't had time to do the work yet. will be on it tomorrow after work.

Rekluse gave me their install instructions and apparently since some of the older bikes, like mine, have judder (cushion) spring and seat plate, re-using them (w/ the narrow friction disk) as the first friction plate to be installed is optional. I previously left them out when I initially installed the Dyna Ring. I'll put them back in this time and use the new pressure plate springs. they were original as far as I know (i.e. 13 yrs old) and the Rekluse guy said they were probably "sacked out". so.....new springs it is.

also, I've been reading a lot about the oil. lotta guys are suggesting Shell Rotella, but there are just as many people who say the oil doesn't matter that much. so we'll see. I'll keep it in mind, but best to start with fresh parts and a proper installation to see what that does.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
hiawassee OP
Fair play t'ya!

ok, progress to date. replaced worn friction plates with new Rekluse friction plates. replaced original (13yr old) pressure plate springs with new OEM springs. STILL slipping.

ordered new, stiffer EBC pressure plate springs. was told they are 10-15% stiffer than OEM which makes me 10-15% stiffer at the thought I might actually get to ride/race again soon. but nevermind that.

guy at Rekluse thinks it's a spring issue. Local shop guy I trust here in OH agrees. and all other symptoms seem to support that theory. so when they arrive, I'll try them out and report new findings.

- frustrated and shopping
jason
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
hiawassee OP
Fair play t'ya!

Update: new, stiffer EBC pressure plate springs installed. STILL slips!! but not as bad. wtf.

noticed the chain is a bit slack. then remembered I have a 19" rim rather than the stock 18", aaaaaand a 15/47 sprocket combo (rather than 14/50 stock) thinking I could get a little more speed out of the bike.

the physics of circles escapes me at the moment, but I'd bet there's something about the fact that the clutch never slipped before I changed the rear rim size and put new sprockets on it that are different sizes from stock.

I'll start by tightening the chain to see how that goes. then it might be best to put it back to the way the factory intended, although I did my research before making these changes and all indications were that I wasn't doing anything extraordinarily stupid. any further insight on the matter would be helpful.

Thanks.