User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #4051
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thank For Sharing Your Adventure

Finally caught up with you on your adventure and would like to express my gratitude for sharing it. Wife not the adventurer type so will probably never have the opportunity to do it myself. Enjoy the rest of your adventure and I will be following along and hope to meet you in person someday when you get back to the great Northwet.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #4052
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Postcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

. . . . . . I will get mine in the email soon! . . . . . .

Done today . . . . . thank you for sharing this opportunity with the Adventure Riding community.

coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #4053
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsen View Post
Done today . . . . . thank you for sharing this opportunity with the Adventure Riding community.

It seems like a very simple thing, but I know that by getting a bunch of cards from all over the world, that it can encourage all of them!!

Thanks for taking the efforts to join in!! That means a great deal.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #4054
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Ha! If I would've known that you were going to run into Alain, I would've let you know to thank him for one of those mapsets that you now have (not the OSM one). We met Alain in Cali, and rode with him in northern Ecuador for a couple of days. Really good guy. The small world of moto travelers...

And I'm especially glad he was able to help you out with the gas situation. Some of those lines are nuts!

Enjoy Argentina!
I met Alain this week in Cali. He was very helpful in getting us squared away with tires and working with the folks at Asturias in Cali. I was able to pass on to him my slightly used (Vancouver to Colombia) Heideneau Scout. A great guy and very knowledgeable of Colombian and Ecuador routes. He hangs out at Asturias shop in Cali, and will help riders out.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #4055
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Yo Mark . I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, what are your plans for 2013? Will you stay on the road and regale us with morning updates , or not? What's spinning around inside your mind as of today? Thanks.

Dave
Hola iDave So glad you have asked. As a journey I have had many thoughts about what to do next and when. Lots of factors in trying to see clearly what my next adventures will be wether on the road or deciding to get back to a working life.

But the last few weeks have given me a bit of clarity about continuing the journey a bit longer. Looks like I will spend another 1-2 months in South America before heading to New Zealand early in the new year. After that ? too many thoughts and logistics to really have it all Planned out!

Someone asked a bit earlier the total cost of the trip so far..... It is a bit complicated to answer directly as i was back in the states before and after India and I had some unexpected expenses to do with my car, my houses and a few other things. So I have yet to break all this out and put actual numbers to them. But they all impact the length and scope of my ride.

Here is the swirling thoughts in a nut shell. I try to live my life in a reasonable and focused way. Faith, Hope and courage helping to guide me. Life is truly short, but I have to be able to finish my journey on the road, and also be able to transition to some type of meaningful paid work in the future, as I do not have enough money to "retire".

That said, I know that part of me is getting ready to want to get on with life off the road, and part of me knows that I have a unique opportunity and freedom to continue on this travel. So 2013 will see continued ride reports for somewhere on the globe, and at some point a new chapter will emerge from this ride!

Will be reaching a huge milestone in the days ahead........ Stay tuned!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #4056
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
That's good to know. I've been wondering what I'm supposed to do once this thread comes to an end.

Quote:
Hola iDave So glad you have asked. As a journey I have had many thoughts about what to do next and when. Lots of factors in trying to see clearly what my next adventures will be wether on the road or deciding to get back to a working life.

But the last few weeks have given me a bit of clarity about continuing the journey a bit longer. Looks like I will spend another 1-2 months in South America before heading to New Zealand early in the new year. After that ? too many thoughts and logistics to really have it all Planned out!

Someone asked a bit earlier the total cost of the trip so far..... It is a bit complicated to answer directly as i was back in the states before and after India and I had some unexpected expenses to do with my car, my houses and a few other things. So I have yet to break all this out and put actual numbers to them. But they all impact the length and scope of my ride.

Here is the swirling thoughts in a nut shell. I try to live my life in a reasonable and focused way. Faith, Hope and courage helping to guide me. Life is truly short, but I have to be able to finish my journey on the road, and also be able to transition to some type of meaningful paid work in the future, as I do not have enough money to "retire".

That said, I know that part of me is getting ready to want to get on with life off the road, and part of me knows that I have a unique opportunity and freedom to continue on this travel. So 2013 will see continued ride reports for somewhere on the globe, and at some point a new chapter will emerge from this ride!

KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #4057
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,593
Quote:
C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #4058
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMike View Post
That's good to know. I've been wondering what I'm supposed to do once this thread comes to an end.
ditto!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #4059
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
I met Alain this week in Cali. A great guy and very knowledgeable of Colombian and Ecuador routes. He hangs out at Asturias shop in Cali, and will help riders out.
Alain is a great guy!! So glad I met him on the road!!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #4060
KryzHatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Postcard to REESE

Just send mine
KryzHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #4061
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,839
I just got back from the zoo. I had to wait a few days for these to come in, but they finally got here today.

The pic is of the new, as yet unnamed, baby elephant here in Portland, and the card in the mailbox right now.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #4062
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
The pic is of the new, as yet unnamed, baby elephant here in Portland, and the card in the mailbox right now.
Thanks Ken and everyone who is taking the time and effort to send a card. Little Reese had another surgery and then 3rd chemo treatment. My friend was grateful for having these sent (I sent her photos you guys are posting). She knows that it will bring smiles!! Thanks!!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #4063
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Puerto Natales

Nice sunrise over Puerto Natales.

The glow on the mountains was awesome!

Ken and I spent the afternoon the day before on the rooftop deck enjoying the views!

More Postcards sent out for little Reese. Hope in some small way it will help brighten their days!

We stayed here, and headed off in the morning to Cerro Sombero ...... Tierra Del Fuego

The wind was blowing .... hard to capture a good photo of how much wind there is but it is a great deal with gusts....

Stopped for a nice Coffee along the way. Sign post tells us how far away we are.

Did I say it was windy?

Yes but I am really south in South America seems a bit unreal. Still worth a windy jump!

We arrive at the northern ferry crossing the narrows of Magellan onto Tierra Del Fuego

At the ferry "dock" we meet up with Robbie from NY. He has been riding as long as I have on a 1975 Honda CB500. After introductions and such, he sees a "radiomanridestheworld" sticker on my bike and says; "your Radioman".... "Your famous"

The ferry arrives:

We ride on and off we go.

Look where I am!

The excitement is building. Just 445 KM to Ushuaia.

Radioman screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 01:04 AM
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #4064
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,646

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #4065
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Talking What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Wonderful updates yet again Mark . My coffee tastes so much better when glaciers are involved . Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us!
+1 - Just substitute gin and tonic for the coffe!