User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
airarrazaval
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Black Dog luggage plate

Take a look to www.blackdogcw.com. I use several rear plage and this one is awesome, specially if you use the 2GL Rotopax.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ge-detail.html

airarrazaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #17
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
CJ I will get my bag out and take a few photos of my set up for your suggestions in the next few days.
Thanks Ken
Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Zen overlands rock is the business, I had the first one sent out and out it through it's paces on a run out to Mongolia and back, stood up to all the abuse I threw at it and was used to lift the back of the bike etc.

The purpose of putting a crease in a flat sheet is to increase it's resistance to bending, however it looks a bit rubbish and gives something for a bag to rub against that won't do in my book.

The Zen Design BDCW (and CJ designs, but that lc8 logo is a bit garish for me) are 6mm thick, some of the others are not so thick
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by airarrazaval View Post
Take a look to www.blackdogcw.com. I use several rear plage and this one is awesome, specially if you use the 2GL Rotopax.

Thanks for the props guys - we greatly appreciate the support.

We have also increased the size of the perimeter holes to accommodate larger strap systems, including cam buckle straps as used on the Giant Loop bags. In addition, the rear rack is designed to accommodate our winch carrying plate provide additional versatility. We have shifted the winch towards the rear of the plate to allow for room for a soft bag towards the front of the rack.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Oh yeah, ours are made in the U.S.A. as well!

Thanks again for your support
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!

KTMforget screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 10:12 AM
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
I've owned both CJ's and Black Dogs racks. They're both great looking and work as advertised. I wish Black Dog still offered the ole " Large ' version of his rack. The one that ran about 4" along the side of the pillion area. Hurt like hell when you cracked your knee on it whilst swinging a leg over, but the tradeoff was you could stack a ton o shite on it. Thing was the greatest impromptu kitchen table ever!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp View Post
I've owned both CJ's and Black Dogs racks. They're both great looking and work as advertised. I wish Black Dog still offered the ole " Large ' version of his rack. The one that ran about 4" along the side of the pillion area. Hurt like hell when you cracked your knee on it whilst swinging a leg over, but the tradeoff was you could stack a ton o shite on it. Thing was the greatest impromptu kitchen table ever!!!
We still make our "large" rear rack but now we have increased the size of the perimeter holes and pre-drilled it for a Rotopax mount.

For the adventure:

And for the 950SE:

Thanks again for your support
Kurt

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
I'm on my sixth LC8 powered bike and this is the best Rack I've ever had. Mind this was prior to them there Motopaki or whatever they call them fancy gas cans, or Warn winch mounts. Anybody remember who made these? I thought it was Black Dog as I had one of his skid plates on this bike at the time.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
Thanks for the props guys - we greatly appreciate the support.

Just a point of clarification - our rear racks are 1/4" thick (approx 8mm), not 6mm as stated in the previous post.

Kurt
Kurt I don't claim to be an engineer or a maths whizz but I make a 1/4" to be 6.35mm? Which is a nominal difference over the 6mm of CJ's rack when compared to saying something is 25% thicker, one could even think there was a little 'licence' being used to push sales.
Both seem like good products (so I know the manufacturing tolerances aren't that far out of whack)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysidedown View Post
Kurt I don't claim to be an engineer or a maths whizz but I make a 1/4" to be 6.35mm? Which is a nominal difference over the 6mm of CJ's rack when compared to saying something is 25% thicker, one could even think there was a little 'licence' being used to push sales.
Both seem like good products (so I know the manufacturing tolerances aren't that far out of whack)
WOW - totally brain fade on my part. Thanks for catching that. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I will correct my post. My brain obviously doesn't work very well on Mondays..

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
WOW - totally brain fade on my part. Thanks for catching that. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I will correct my post. My brain obviously doesn't work very well on Mondays..

Can't say fairer than that!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I have a CJ rack and the slots on the edge are to narrow for the plastic straps of most luggage to slide thru. The rack is very good otherwise
I went out last night and sipped a beer and took another stab at mounting my bags to the CJ Rack and found it really was not an issue with the size of the slots at all. It worked out great and I have put 1000 rounds of 5.65 ammo and a new AR 15 in a box on the rack and it worked great, it is very solid!. The guy at the gun shop took a picture, he said it was the only time he ever had anyone ride off with a rig like mine.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Cj Designs ($105) and ZipTy Racing ($125)
ZipTy goes a bit different and looks cool, as well as being quite large.
On my phone, now, so PIA to do pics, but it fits very well with my Jesse Panniers
+1 on the CJ Deisgns plate
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote